Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
5/18/10 10:10 a.m.
feature_image

After seeing how cool they look on Per's LeGrand project, we decided to try a similar vent on our Miata. We ordered a set of RunCool hood louvers, hoping they would help prevent our turbocharged project from overheating after extended on-track sessions by allowing the heat to radiate away from the turbocharger.

The RunCool Louvers come in pairs, but for …

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/10 10:44 a.m.

Nice work! It really does suit the character of the car. Might help keep things cool underway, too, as it'll help pull air through the rad. You accidentally put it in the low pressure zone on the hood, right where it belongs for this sort of behavior :)

Putting another on the other side (if your heart can take the stress of cutting through that wrap again) would help the airflow through the rad even more.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
5/19/10 12:51 p.m.

Thanks Keith! It was surprisingly easy to work with the vinyl wrap; lots of RPM made the cutting work a cinch.

I'm considering the other vent; it may or may not find its way onto the car. I like asymmetry and I'm very protective of Miss High Octane, so I'm hoping to avoid it.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
5/24/10 2:50 p.m.

Would a smaller version of this vent work on the other side? Would still help pull more air through the rad, and things would still be asymmetrical. Heck, maybe a longer, thinner one so that you get the same amount of airflow? That would absolutely be asymmetrical. Grab a set of their side louvers (yes, I have been to the site), and tack one on the other side of the hood!

Wowak
Wowak SuperDork
5/26/10 7:31 p.m.

The thought of cutting a hole in my Miata's hood gives me the jibblies.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/27/10 9:33 a.m.

I like that asymmetry. I've been thinking about doing the exact same project. That location, while drawing air through the rad, should help cool the turbo bits very well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WN14vYFmkKu3AOe0D0IioJ9rTwyBttU35kE66hhlgThcYXZjDvvT95zNgUhza1Yj