Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/8/20 3:20 p.m.

I upgraded to an ESAB Sentinel recently, and my Home-Depot-spec dual-catridge 3M respirator won't fit.

Anybody have any recommendations for compact/low-profile respirators?

I should've taken care of this before last term's Stainless Steel TIG class, but as I prepare to spend a bunch of time (not) huffing the results of Aluminum welding this term, I'd like to figure this out.

I haven't actually tried fitting the respirator under my old Weldcote helmet, but I'd be pretty bummed to be stuck using that helmet any time I want to wear a respirator.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/20 3:22 p.m.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-7190N99-Welding-Purifying-Respirator/dp/B0017RZ8K2

This is the one that I have seen to fit under helmets. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
1/8/20 5:45 p.m.
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/20 10:04 p.m.
Brotus7 said:

This guy is pretty low profile, fits under my Miller helmet.

https://m.cyberweld.com/milphamareml.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CjwKCAiAmNbwBRBOEiwAqcwwpZE4lJ3GK7jqLeQyony7gD6-b04Lv2zOhYXgguSWaJNQYJ6FC2RmDRoC9HoQAvD_BwE

I have that one as well, recommended to me by Racetruck Ron.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
1/8/20 10:28 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Brotus7 said:

I have that one as well, but it doesn't fit super well under my off-shore helmet. 

Awesome for grinding and sanding, too!!

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
1/9/20 8:05 a.m.

There's also this type of setup: https://www.tenaquip.com/product/north-by-honeywell-backpack-adapter-bp1002-sao679?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInO6r7Nf25gIVj8hkCh0v2AtMEAQYBCABEgLitvD_BwE

Puts the filters behind you, with hoses feeding to the mask. Allows the use of regular cartridges.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/20 10:34 a.m.
SkinnyG said:
AngryCorvair said:
Brotus7 said:

I have that one as well, but it doesn't fit super well under my off-shore helmet. 

Awesome for grinding and sanding, too!!

I love that respirator. It fits under my Speedglas helmet pretty well but makes some contact with the helmet in some unusual position welds (laying on my back under a vehicle).

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
1/9/20 12:14 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

This only complaint I have is that it doesn't seal terribly well against my short/half assed excuse for a beard.  But then again, it's not a military gas mask.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/20 1:58 p.m.
Ransom said:

I upgraded to an ESAB Sentinel recently

How do you like that helmet? Those have been on my wishlist since they came out a couple years ago.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vDGiHXMJh4RIaKHd1IQEX6OCFiqmvDUTzildfMQK2qzTV8kuJXYsOFbuc36LyMdv