Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
8/12/20 8:46 p.m.

My son bought a 2000 LS400 and we need to change the cats, anyone ever do this? Total hassle or easy? 

I really don't want to do the job but if it's only a couple of hours I'll do it.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
8/12/20 8:50 p.m.

Cut and weld?  Any half decent exhaust shop can probably do this for pretty cheap if you don't have the equipment and you can't find replacements that bolt on.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
8/12/20 10:26 p.m.

Are you getting second hand OEM cats or aftermarket? A guy I know familiar with these says aftermarket ones never fit right, but I'd like to know for sure.

I just bought a 2000 LS400 in February.  I took this when I did the first oil change, it doesn't look too bad:

Also here's a step-by-step guide: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/exhaust/fpipe.html

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
8/12/20 10:49 p.m.

We haven't ordered them yet was going to just grab them off Rockauto. I haven't checked the price from Lexus.

On a side note I'm interested with how smooth the V8 is.

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
8/13/20 1:34 p.m.

They bolt on....easy, depending where the car lived. Salt belt? straight to the flame wrench for  the lower nuts. Can't be seized if it's liquid. Upper ones might spin off with a little heat applied.....which is good, cause they are far enough up that cutting them out is a pain.  OE gaskets work well but will likely need replacement. they aren't your typical MLS gasket. Mid pipe flanges like to rot away from the catalyst flange. if there's enough material you can grind the high spots off to seal it up.....otherwise  replace the mid pipe or weld on a new flange. 

j_tso
j_tso Reader
8/13/20 8:35 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

On a side note I'm interested with how smooth the V8 is.

I'd say it's pretty smooth.  Mine's well broken in at 360k, previous owner drove it across TX on a weekly basis.

Kind of like the champagne glass commercial, Top Gear did their test with a cup of water directly on the engine, thought it's a 1st gen car. 4:10 if the link doesn't work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vm8eEfwE0OopQbNoYm2kdeJFPnR0iQ3Y4alxVa9DBd1FFyyurF5Dd2lqoBhlOLrm