1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/10/22 9:29 a.m.

The worst part of this job? It’s not the pace, the workload or the constant self-doubting. 

It’s writing obits for people you knew. In j-school, you learn that it’s going to be part of the drill. It’s one of those things that has to be done. 

I remember an assignment where we had to write our own obits. I know, …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/10/22 1:18 p.m.

Slowly learning this one. I'm thankful to not have lost anyone recently, but it's shocking how quickly I've fallen out of touch with friends from college–which was only about 5 years ago.

I'd say today is a good day for me to reach out on social media.

Junkers
Junkers New Reader
10/10/22 3:16 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/10/22 4:39 p.m.

Learn from the Irish (me mum is half Irish).  We lean more toward the celebration of life (sometimes hard when dealing with young people); I miss my dad every day but he lived life to the fullest. My father's funeral was full of stories and smiles. 

As for keeping touch; I'm privileged to meet up with a group of BMX & Motocross riders/racers at a reunion party. I just got on social media 2 1/2 years ago and that was how I found out about the reunion.  I went to high school with a number of these folks. They are a bunch of goofballs (much like here) and it's wonderful.

I have this saying when people I know pass "keep them in your heart every day".

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/10/22 6:04 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

My favorite Irish joke explains it well:

The only difference between an Irish wake, and an Irish wedding? One less drunken...

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/10/22 6:05 p.m.

In reply to Junkers :

You may mean all of that to be different than as read. But as read? I hope your not as huge a negitive azz hat as ya sound. 
Either that or I'm missing something. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/10/22 8:46 p.m.

I hope I read that wrong too.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/10/22 9:58 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

My favorite Irish joke explains it well:

The only difference between an Irish wake, and an Irish wedding? One less drunken...

Ar ya sane way drenk all da time ten?

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
10/10/22 10:09 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I don't think you're missing anything, but he certainly is.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/10/22 10:24 p.m.

In reply to 300zxfreak :

It's been pointed out I can be a bit to harsh, so I'm trying not to interpret wrong!

Smarter me would leave it alone completely. Just can't!

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/10/22 10:24 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I don't want a sad wake - have a drink for me! Love it!

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/10/22 11:26 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

I don't want a sad wake - have a drink for me! Love it!

Yeah I want my friends and family to talk about the goofy  crazy irreverent stiff I did........and have a Guinness.

Fair
Fair New Reader
10/11/22 2:26 p.m.

Well written, and it never gets easy. RIP to Howie and the others. frown

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/11/22 2:28 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/11/22 2:42 p.m.

Whenever I travel, I make it a point to call on old friends if I'm driving or message folks on FB while in the air. It helps me pass the time and helps remind an old friend that they're thought of.

Junkers
Junkers New Reader
10/11/22 6:04 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/11/22 6:35 p.m.

In reply to Junkers :

If I was smart enough to understand anything you said, I wouldn't have had to ask if you really meant to be an azz hat, or not. I did not call you one. But since I used common language, you may have misunderstood. 
your follow up made even less sense, but I am not judging you. I merely asked a question. You may be too smart to explain to a backwoods guy like me, but it still comes across super negitive, to us normal folks. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/11/22 6:44 p.m.

In reply to Junkers :

I had to re read. I fail to see where anyone called you names, or judged you unfairly. I also fail to see where you ask a provocative question. You seem  (although I do not understand the form of language you use) to suggesting that things would be better if no one care about anyone else. 
If that's your stand, you are not doing very well at it. 
But mostly, not being on the same intellectual level as you, I'm just confused. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/11/22 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Junkers :

Despite my believing your post is something of a troll I'll bite:

There is nothing wrong with ego; see my post about my recently attending a BMX / Motocross reunion. There are so many talented people attending this event..........we know all we have talent and we are humble about it to a degree but put us all on bike or motorcycle and will knock each other over to be first.........and then laugh about it later.

This is why absolutely love each others company.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/11/22 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I looked when I first posted, to see if his was a first post, since his choice of wording is not what we usually see here. But although new, he's been around long enough to not be oblivious, unless he chooses to be. 

I did not click over to read every word of the article; thought the title and short bit said what it means. 
From that, aside from being hugely negative, I have no clue what he is talking about. 
He did reference ego, and I agree with your explanation, understanding where your going. 
But the leap from caring about others, to his rants against, that - no clue where his ego,putting down anyone that doesn't agree with him, or where ego, comes in at all!

I truly am too dense to really understand the internet definition of troll, but I'm wondering if he might be an example? I don't really know. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
10/11/22 8:29 p.m.

This is somewhat of a timely subject for me. On Sunday I will be heading to SoCal to get together with 6 of my friends who I met in the 70s. This will be the second get together. Last year was supposed to be at Mt. Whitney but the weather turned so we ended up at Lone Pine which was fitting since several of us had raced there for years. The weather was mediocre but we did what we have always done – made the best of what we had to work with. It was a blast. All of us have decided to continue to do it as long as we are still breathing.

Some were roommates, most were Mulholland guys, some became part of my racing activities, one was a co-driver who had also intro’d me to AutoX, we also raced against each other at times.

We tell the stories, give a salute and raise a glass to those who are gone. One of the guys passed just before we decided to do this. And my lady of 20 years passed a month after. We talk about our parents some of whom were like second mothers / fathers to us – and who are all gone. All are greatly missed. We do that because it is the human thing to do.

We are spread out throughout the west and we keep in touch one way or another.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/11/22 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Junkers :

I'll gladly be your friend. But at a distance. wink

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/11/22 9:24 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Junkers :

I'll gladly be your friend. But at a distance. wink

That's one reason I love you guys. Even folks I might have had a disagreement  with, I know most would pitch in to help if I broke down, passin' through their town! 
Great folks. 
Don't know I'd ever call him a friend, but I'd store a car, or enable as I can, if he needs it!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/11/22 9:46 p.m.

Back in August I went to my wife's grandmother's memorial and burial. 

Wife's second cousin was there, a guy that most of the family hadn't seen in a decade or two.  Two or three weeks after grandma's memorial he died in his sleep from a heart attack.  

You just never know.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
10/11/22 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Junkers :

So if I understand right,  love, hate, or ignore all objectively and with caution, got it .

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UDEwVcItq4fvvyB5i3XToaIknDgUVduUdQRcttaSsa0O9GYJwHjPpmXMRMvzv5wV