1 ... 6 7 8 9 10
Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
2/4/13 6:30 p.m.

A customer had this in his garage and hadn't used it in a couple years. He was clearing out a lot of unused things to get another car inside and offered it to me in exchange for some additional work. Deal! A free standing drill press will be a great addition to the shop.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
2/5/13 7:43 a.m.

A free standing press is nice indeed - makes my benchtop unit look like a toy...congrats!

I just found out that a neighbor with a higher end bandsaw and free standing drill press is planning to move out of the country permanently in a few years when he retires. He has no kids, and no family nearby, and doesnt want to try to move big tools like that internationally, or have to bother with craigslist and such...so I get first shot at the tools when he goes to move, and he says hes not looking for much - simply offering to get them out of the way will go far (they gotta come out of his basement = not fun).

I haz excited!

shelbyz
shelbyz New Reader
2/5/13 9:00 a.m.
Rad_Capz wrote: I work on others cars so sometimes the driveway looks cool.

Awesome thread!

Is that a 4AGE Chevy Nova?!?!?

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
2/9/13 8:21 p.m.
shelbyz wrote:
Awesome thread! Is that a 4AGE Chevy Nova?!?!?

88 Nova Twin Cam, bought it new for the wife at the time. Yup, it's a stick.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
2/9/13 8:30 p.m.
Wonkothesane wrote: Semi-off-topic, what's your opinion of the GTM Kit? I've been interested in one for a while (not that I'm anywhere NEAR ready to start seriously considering building one for a few years, anyway)... How was the fit/finish/engineering/etc?

It's a cool car, this one was started by someone else and so there was a lot of going back to do things correctly. There were a lot of missing or poorly modified parts and this is an earlier kit so some things have been changed by FF in the later ones. Also the current owner wanted a lot of custom features which added to the work required. Body alignment and panel fitting will require a lot of work to get the body centered, wheelwells arched correctly etc. The project was on hold during the holiday season but I worked on it a couple days this past week.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
2/9/13 9:09 p.m.

An old body shop in town closed recently when the owner passed away. The family had a tool sale today so I stopped by to see if I could use anything they had. I got there too late to score any of the big items cheap but got a few things. "How much for this thing in the box?"..."5 dollars." "OK, How much for this wrench?" "5 dollars." How much for these grinder discs?" "5 dollars each package." "Everything's 5 dollars?" "No" "OK, how much for this thing?" "5 dollars." "OK, I'm all set."

So for 35 bucks I got a water separator for the new (to me) compressor setup along with a guillotine for pressing off bearings etc. (I missed out on the big press), a big pipe wrench, and several stacks of 24 grit grinder discs. Successful trip.

A few days ago I was at the customers home I got the drill press from and he wanted to clear out more space in his garage. I ended up hauling a lot of metal to take to the scrap yard as well as a a bunch of DOM round stock, square tubing and flat plate steel I can use to make stuff along with this lifetime supply of various nuts/bolts/screws etc. So it's time to reorganize some of my bins!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/10/13 10:37 a.m.

damn dude, you're screwed!

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
2/10/13 11:22 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: damn dude, you're screwed!

Yup, turned into quite a project trying to sort through, divide, label and organize that much hardware. I'm gonna give several people who hooked me up with old tools etc. an assortment for their nut & bolt assortments.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/11/13 9:21 a.m.

You hit the motherload!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/11/13 10:15 a.m.

Where in SFL are you??

J

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
2/11/13 7:38 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: You hit the motherload!

Slippery said:

Where in SFL are you??

Yes I did! Anyone local who needs a free assortment of zinc plated hardware for something contact me. I'm in Delray Beach.

shelbyz
shelbyz New Reader
2/12/13 9:56 a.m.
Rad_Capz wrote:
shelbyz wrote:
Awesome thread! Is that a 4AGE Chevy Nova?!?!?
88 Nova Twin Cam, bought it new for the wife at the time. Yup, it's a stick.

Jealous. Friend of mine had a '91 Prizm GSi, what an underrated car.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/12/13 10:36 a.m.

Rad, sent you a message!

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
2/13/13 11:02 p.m.
Slippery wrote: Rad, sent you a message!

Thanks! PM returned.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
7/5/13 9:54 p.m.

I decided to make a stand to hang parts from for painting. I had a pile of tubing from a roll bar and an unused engine stand. Along with some other stuff from the scrap pile a bud and I threw this together. It's a whatdayacallit that can be used for lots of stuff. First project it got used for was prepping and painting a rear end. The engine stand adapter without the fingers that normally bolt to the engine worked great to hold the rear and allow me to easily spin it to work on any side and paint with ease.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/81%20Malibu/004_zps9ac6aafb.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/81%20Malibu/010_zpse844271d.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/81%20Malibu/011_zps28079d78.jpg.html][/URL]

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/5/13 10:05 p.m.

You know it's GRM when the driveway is full of cool old american iron, and the one car people pick out is the Toyota powered Chevy Nova econobox.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
7/5/13 11:31 p.m.

Rad_Capz, I remember how this thread got started, with an unhappy story about the house. I'm so delighted to see how it has come together for you (with all your hard work and ingenuity) to make a cool home/shop.

David

06HHR
06HHR Reader
7/5/13 11:47 p.m.

In reply to DWNSHFT:

+1000

Next time i'm in Rad_Capz neck of the woods, I will drop off a case of whatever he's in the mood for (drinking that is). This thread has inspired me more than any of those "garage mahal" deals you see on TV or the interwebz, just cause I think I can do most of what he's done myself. He's my hero! Glad he's able to soldier on with the spot..

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
7/30/13 3:20 p.m.
mndsm wrote: You know it's GRM when the driveway is full of cool old american iron, and the one car people pick out is the Toyota powered Chevy Nova econobox.

And why I visit this forum daily even though I may not post a lot. Although I'm mostly a musclecar era kinda guy I enjoy all the random stuff here.

I was in the Depot yesterday looking for a really bright light bulb (thinking maybe a clear 100 watt or something) for the original single socket fixture in the garage. $16.00 got me this killer fluorescent bulb that puts out a lot more light than any incandescent bulb that would be safe in the socket. The extra light using less electricity without needing to purchase a new fixture makes it a bargain in my book.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Garage%20and%20shop/005_zps391d768b.jpg.html][/URL]

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
7/30/13 3:32 p.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: Rad_Capz, I remember how this thread got started, with an unhappy story about the house. I'm so delighted to see how it has come together for you (with all your hard work and ingenuity) to make a cool home/shop. David

The shop/garage is working out great. Bank still won't budge. If I do a "deed in lieu" the house has to be complete and swept clean so I've been reluctantly doing the work to make the house acceptable. I rented a room to a buddy and so I used the rent money to rebuild the empty bathroom that was my metal storage area and have almost finished building a very basic kitchen using free stuff and 20 bucks worth of paint that should be acceptable to the bank if I give the house to them. I'll post up some pics of the kitchen when I finish.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
7/30/13 4:01 p.m.

I saved up a while back and got a new motor for my twin tank compressor setup and moved the tanks into place after a failed attempt to paint them. I tried some cheap latex just to make them match but it didn't stick well. Not wanting to spend much on the setup I just wiped off the wet paint and moved on.

I did splurge and invested a few bucks to make side exits for the water drains so I don't have to stand on my head and get water all over the floor every time I drain the tanks. So for about $220.00 I've got a 5 HP twin piston with 120 gallons storage that's pretty quiet.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Garage%20and%20shop/006_zpsae1870ae.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Garage%20and%20shop/007_zps205a88bf.jpg.html][/URL]

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
7/31/13 3:59 a.m.

Best damn thread on GRM, this, positively inspirational. Keep it up, and best wishes, John.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
2/2/14 8:58 p.m.

Time for an update!

A couple posts back I mentioned I rented a room to a bud. We'd worked on some of the same cars in the past and work well together. He took a new job at a different collision shop that provided equipment he already owned for his old job so he brought some to the garage/shop at the house. So now my cobbled together compressor is retired and we've added a rotisserie, 7.5 HP Ingersol compressor, 8HP Snap On compressor, and a nice Matco box.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Garage%20and%20shop/002_zps4a614e46.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Garage%20and%20shop/003_zps093def72.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Garage%20and%20shop/005_zps27f20a5f.jpg.html][/URL]

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
2/28/14 10:16 a.m.

The gentleman I got the freestanding drill press from also had a 14" Wilton wood/metal band saw with low use he no longer needed. The rubber rings on the band wheels were dry rotted and fell off making the saw unusable. We made a deal to trade some hours of my labor for the saw and it's now cleaned up with new rubber rings and will be a great asset for metalworking jobs.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/Garage%20and%20shop/004_zps3cfdb4aa.jpg.html][/URL]

Petrolburner
Petrolburner New Reader
2/28/14 5:15 p.m.

Of all the awesomeness in this post that I just read from beginning to end, the first thing I'm going to try to duplicate will be mounting my fluorescent lights to the garage door tracks. Awesome solution, keep up the good work!

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pmkow6Vdh1K6hbHqw3pa7Xe9mpGbXWftYxXQVcfa2nuCyRUUhW6JQB7Qa1CluVRK