1 2 3
_
_ New Reader
8/22/18 8:19 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to _ :

Definitely go for Koni Sports on some ~400#/325# springs, and get a pair of extended mounts for the rear - either NB or aftermarket. Your ride on the street will drastically improve, as will the autox performance. 

Where does one get these extended mounts? Or what do I search for? Are they top hat extensions?

edit: I found what you’re talking about. 

_
_ New Reader
8/23/18 10:55 a.m.

Stead of starting a Nother what suspension for my Miata thread, I decided I’ll just post it here and hopefully somebody will comment. 

Just to be upfront, I’m not made of money and therefore neither will my Miata be. So I am looking at either Koni str.t (75$) shocks for all 4 corners, or bilstein b6 (98$). And then TEIN S tech springs. 

What says these ppl?  

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/23/18 6:29 p.m.
_ said:

Stead of starting a Nother what suspension for my Miata thread, I decided I’ll just post it here and hopefully somebody will comment. 

Just to be upfront, I’m not made of money and therefore neither will my Miata be. So I am looking at either Koni str.t (75$) shocks for all 4 corners, or bilstein b6 (98$). And then TEIN S tech springs. 

What says these ppl?  

I can only comment on the TEIN S tech springs but only from the corolla. RIde, crappy. Handling, crappy. I bought H&R springs to replace them with and The H&R springs are amazing. Both with the same koni yellow struts. My opinion of your two options is KONI str.t for the win.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/18 8:04 p.m.

In reply to _ :

Some people love Bilstein, but I’ve never liked them on any of a wide variety of cars I’ve driven(including Miatas). They feel like they have way too much compression damping. 

If Koni Sports are our out the budget, then go for Koni SRTs. Though I’m unsure if they’ll handle the 400#/325# spring rates I suggested above. 

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
9/4/18 7:23 p.m.

Any updates?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/19 7:28 a.m.

Zombie revival, because today I got an email from MaxPeeDingrods and my brain immediately came to this thread:

I'm Tessie from MaXpeedingRods which is focused on performance over decades with more than 3,000,000 customers all over the world.

Seeing some car professional opinions you expressed in here and Admired by your years of experience and resources in forum and the industry. It remind of me that, We are looking for professionals to review our products, would you be interested in participating? 

Hope to hear from you and hopefully work together!

Best regards,
Tessie

I don’t know if I should reply to see where it goes, or maybe I’ll get free parts that would be worth what i paid, or to see if they would offer anything or are just fishing for shill reviews.  Maybe Tessie will come help me finish my car, or maybe i can start working for maxpeedingrods as a professional car professional spokesman professional review dudemodel

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/18/19 7:41 a.m.

Its funny, Maxpeedingrods came to my mind yesterday, because Hoonigan was working on Sh!tcar, their beloved E36 318, and they've got tubular bash bars and a new livery and entirely reqired the car and now a complete Nissan SR20DET swap, but it still has the stupid Maxpeedingrods coilovers on it.

TR7
TR7 Reader
9/18/19 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

If the worst that can happen is you spent 5 min writing back to try and get free stuff, why not? 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/19 12:11 p.m.
Patrick said:

Zombie revival, because today I got an email from MaxPeeDingrods and my brain immediately came to this thread:

I'm Tessie from MaXpeedingRods which is focused on performance over decades with more than 3,000,000 customers all over the world.

Seeing some car professional opinions you expressed in here and Admired by your years of experience and resources in forum and the industry. It remind of me that, We are looking for professionals to review our products, would you be interested in participating? 

Best regards,
Tessie

I don’t know if I should reply to see where it goes, or maybe I’ll get free parts that would be worth what i paid, or to see if they would offer anything or are just fishing for shill reviews.  Maybe Tessie will come help me finish my car, or maybe i can start working for maxpeedingrods as a professional car professional spokesman professional review dudemodel

I got the same email, if I wasn't in the process of moving and leaving my cars behind I'd definitely reply to them.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/18/19 12:28 p.m.

You could always ask Tessie where Grods happens to be.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
9/18/19 1:23 p.m.

Sounds like Tessie would like to send you some free or heavily discounted stuff.

Nugi
Nugi Reader
9/18/19 1:30 p.m.

Just disassemble them first to see if you can cram some nicer valving in there, and if the bores are smooth. If both are true, they could be a great budget shock housing solution, no matter how they perform otb. Im sure plenty of other guys here are versed in the arcane arts of valving to re-valve and upgrade seals on the cheapish.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
9/18/19 1:45 p.m.

"Max Peeding Rods"

Can you ask Tessie what happened to their 's' ?

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
10/14/19 12:37 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

And sure enough Bad Daddy Brad is using MaXpeedingRods turbos on the Hoonigan Build & Battle S10, in keeping with his love for ebay junk. frown

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/19 9:24 p.m.

Update.  While cleaning out my email i found I never replied to Tessie.  So i did yesterday.  Today I got a reply back about how they found me on grm and inviting me to join their review or promotions team.  I'm going to reply back because some of their offers are pretty nice looking.  If they want to send stuff here to be reviewed i'm all for that.  

_
_ Dork
11/10/19 10:10 p.m.

Hey, I'm all for a budget option of coilovers. You can easily replace springs. If they can be revalved, then that opens up some really cheap options.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
11/11/19 6:42 a.m.

Pretty excited for this.  The Maxpeedingrods parts on eBay are perfectly challenge priced, and I've seen people all over the internet bash them but it's always second hand; none of the complainers ever actually owned a pair.  It's just "oh it's chinese garbage so I know it will fail, avoid at all costs!"  And then I read reviews by people that actually buy them and they say things like "rear springs are a bit too stiff but the ride quality is decent and the car handles well."  And $270 for a set of coilovers is hard to ignore, especially for the challenge.  I hope you find they're actually useful.

_
_ Dork
11/11/19 1:13 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Dude. Did you read my original post? I OWNED a set. Trash. 

aw614
aw614 Reader
11/11/19 1:25 p.m.

What shocked me about the maxpeedingrod coilovers for hondas was they included the brake line  brackets on their coilovers, my bilsteins and also koni yellows didnt have them and I had to hammer them off my old shocks 

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
11/11/19 8:02 p.m.

"Step 1: pick your favorite tool

Step 2: Nascar all the bolts"

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/19 8:23 p.m.

Thumbs up for MaxPeeDingrods. That made me literally LOL.

I was talking to a Koni rep about the difficulty of marketing decent suspension stuff in a world flooded with super-cheap junk coilovers. I think you just have to let some people learn the hard way...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/20 11:18 p.m.

...and today I got the MaxPeeDingrods email.

Does she know? Nah, there's no way. Still, if they've got over 3 million customers, they're doing better than we are.

Hi Keith, 

This is Tessie from MaXpeedingRods which is focused on performance over decades with more than 3,000,000 customers all over the world. 

Seeing some car professional opinions you expressed in  grassrootsmotorsports.com/ and admired by your years of experience and resources in forum and the industry. It remind of me that, We are looking for professionals to review our products, would you be interested in participating? 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
1/10/20 6:35 a.m.
_ said:

In reply to infinitenexus :

Dude. Did you read my original post? I OWNED a set. Trash. 

Yes, I did read your original post.  And every post by you in this thread.  You said "yikes" and that you wanted something else but never really went into any more detail.  You mentioned your first autocross in your miata was coming up - did you ever autocross on these?  Obviously they're cheap chinesium but what are their actual issues?  DId the handling suck, were the spring rates horrible, were the shocks not valved properly for the springs?  These are perfectly challenge-priced so if they can be made to work then that's something that'll help a lot of us.  I'm here for the details, man, details!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/10/20 7:47 a.m.

I keep hoping for the email. Would be interesting to see how their coilovers compare to used NB bilstiens and Ebay cover sleeve kit. 

But not interesting enough for me to put much money in it. I'm still debating what to buy, but it will probably be koni based.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/20 7:52 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Thumbs up for MaxPeeDingrods. That made me literally LOL.

I was talking to a Koni rep about the difficulty of marketing decent suspension stuff in a world flooded with super-cheap junk coilovers. I think you just have to let some people learn the hard way...

It's not only suspension though, is it? It seems to get harder to find quality aftermarket parts in this market flooded with fakes and cheap crap.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R55mTnLXDn7qUMYf77cthBlngGSFz6RkywLVti25XjFleUJlqaiuIVESkdD9ZlJA