1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/14/11 4:25 p.m.

Wow, that was a badly worded paragraph. I missed the Mazda3 part twice. Heck, just 1 paragraph prior they say, "While some of the powertrain developments were introduced on the updated-for-2012 Mazda3, the CX-5 is the first vehicle to benefit from Skyactiv's full suite of technologies."

So is the CX-5 the first with the new motor, or is the 3? MazdaUSA.com shows the 2012 3 as having an M6, but the auto is still a 5, so it definitely didn't get at least 1 transmission. The website also only shows the 2.5, "165-hp 2.5L DOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder Standard", which isn't the Sky-G engine. What the heck?

Javelin
9/14/11 4:29 p.m.

BTW, this is really good at explaining the new tech:

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
9/14/11 4:32 p.m.

I think it's CX-5, then Mazda3. No word on if any other current-gen Mazdas get the SkyActiv in the US, although the Demio (JDM Mazda2) gets a 1.3L SkyActiv that nets it over 58mpg on the Japanese cycle:

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/09/06/mazda-demio-skyactiv-tops-japans-eco-cars-survey-toyota-priu/

That engine will probably never make it to the US without some serious modification or a massive spike in gas prices because it makes less than 100hp, which most Americans would find unacceptable in spite of the mileage.

And to everyone whining about the CX-5: Yeah, most of us wouldn't touch one with a 39 1/2' pole, but Mazda needs the SkyActiv engines to be a hit with mainstream buyers now that they no longer have a sugar daddy in Ford, and what could be more mainstream than a cute-ute? I don't think Mazda is in dire financial straits yet, but if SkyActiv fails, then they will be. I also want SkyActiv to do well because if it does than Mazda will resume rotary development!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
9/14/11 4:32 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: The Mazda3 with the Skyactiv engine will get 40 mpg (and only the sedan is rated that high), not the CX5.
Did you not read the provided link to article? Mazda clearly stated that the CX-5 will get 40MPG and the Diesel even better. If the CUV can get 40, the 3 will be doing better just on weight/aero alone, let alone tuning and final drives.

Why yes, I did read it.

The 2012 Mazda3 will be available with the two current engines PLUS the Skyactiv unit (40 mpg). It's the first introduction of Skyactiv tech into the US market.

The CX-5 will be the first vehicle to use the entire suite of Skyactiv technologies.

My job is writing marketing materials regarding Mazda and other brands so I'm pretty well versed in what's coming down the pipeline.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
9/14/11 4:35 p.m.
Javelin wrote: BTW, this is really good at explaining the new tech: http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/

MotoIQ has a very in-depth look at the SkyActiv-G:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/2105/131-compression-and-40-mpg-on-87-octane-fuel-introducing-mazdas-skyactiv-technology.aspx

Javelin
9/14/11 4:54 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote:
Javelin wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: The Mazda3 with the Skyactiv engine will get 40 mpg (and only the sedan is rated that high), not the CX5.
Did you not read the provided link to article? Mazda clearly stated that the CX-5 will get 40MPG and the Diesel even better. If the CUV can get 40, the 3 will be doing better just on weight/aero alone, let alone tuning and final drives.
Why yes, I did read it. The 2012 Mazda3 will be available with the two current engines PLUS the Skyactiv unit (40 mpg). It's the first introduction of Skyactiv tech into the US market. The CX-5 will be the first vehicle to use the entire suite of Skyactiv technologies. My job is writing marketing materials regarding Mazda and other brands so I'm pretty well versed in what's coming down the pipeline.

Yeah thanks, I figured that out now. Still, the CX-5 should get 40 (highway or combined?) using the full SkyActiv suite, whereas the 12 3 is only getting an engine for it's 40? The article says the CX-5 will trounce the 32 combined GM pretty well, and the D even better than that.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/14/11 5:04 p.m.

The Chevy is 32 highway i'm not sure the combined but probably around 27-28. I would expect the Mazda with the diesel to do 40ish highway 35 gas and be doing good (and probably sell well) if they can claim 30+ combined for gas 35 combined for diesel for <$2000 more.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
9/14/11 11:41 p.m.
I still don't understand why I can't buy a modern Safe Geo-Metro like car that gets 50mpg out of some sweet 1.2L clean buring Direct Injection gas engine.

Thats pretty close to what my 2001 Honda Insight is.

And i dont have a whole lot of trouble merging with it. I get it up to ~100mph on a fairly regular basis.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qq8zYw5v66CJdoVSArnwOFXEvqBnNfTSSTRR5MjhbSqnH1cHSvTVdrFYIFqy42Gi