RolsmaJ
RolsmaJ None
2/12/20 2:11 p.m.

Is there an air flow meter upgrade that can be done on the miata na6 that makes it less restrictive than stock?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/12/20 2:21 p.m.

There is a way to put an RX7 AFM in that is a similar design but something like 30% less restrictive. I can't find it right now, but it also involved wiring in a resistor to make everything kosher. But, how much power are you making? Because they don't really become a restriction until you are getting up there in power. I saw where a guy was making about 200hp on a turbo 1.6L and there was only a 4hp difference between the 1.6L AFM and the RX-7 AFM. And really, by the time you are getting to that point, you should just go to MegaSquirt or some other standalone and ditch air flow meters altogether.

RolsmaJ
RolsmaJ New Reader
2/12/20 9:39 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I was just wondering in general: I still haven't done anything to get more power over stock.

Thanks man

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/20 10:01 p.m.

Adjust your timing and get some decent suspension. That'll get you more :)

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/13/20 7:53 a.m.

The Racing Beat Power Pulse air intake really made my 1.6L sound incredible under WOT, but I don't think they make them anymore.  It uses the stock AFM but flips it upside down and brings in air from in front of the radiator (with a large black cold air intake).  

Edit: I think it was Jackson Racing :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/20 8:28 a.m.

That was the Jackson Racing CAI. The Racing Beat one was just a typical filter on a stick, IIRC.

When chasing naturally aspirated power on a 1.6, you have to decide how much you want and how much you want to spend. You will be surprised at how little you can do for cheap - and how quickly things like 1.8 swaps and turbo setups become the best value for money. It's a fun engine, but trying to get much out of it with little changes like an intake or an AFM is an exercise mostly in measuring small gains.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/13/20 8:40 a.m.

The best, cheapest (free) modification you can do on the 1.6L is the timing bump.  That really wakes things up in the higher rev range.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/13/20 9:43 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

That was the Jackson Racing CAI. The Racing Beat one was just a typical filter on a stick, IIRC.

When chasing naturally aspirated power on a 1.6, you have to decide how much you want and how much you want to spend. You will be surprised at how little you can do for cheap - and how quickly things like 1.8 swaps and turbo setups become the best value for money. It's a fun engine, but trying to get much out of it with little changes like an intake or an AFM is an exercise mostly in measuring small gains.

I never bumped the timing on my 1.6L, but with a Racing Beat header, the high-flow converter I got from you guys, a Good-Win Racing cat-back and a drop-in "high-flow" air filter, I still only made 92hp and 79lb-ft of torque. I ran that setup just to saty in my autocross class. Then I ditched it all for a 2000 1.8L swap and jammed a Rotrex blower on and was much, much, much happier.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3umG3TtGKsALljtQmHGzv9xjWZPBQD4fAwOtTfsHlFtET8VMX7BpMoO8utugAoaH