1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/3/15 11:32 p.m.

Ever have one of the moments where you think, Yeah, maybe I do want an RX-8.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/3/15 11:33 p.m.

Daily.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
3/3/15 11:39 p.m.

Do it and do a write up on it.

Would hopefully make the rotary haters stfu

Just start with a good specimen to begin with - like an 04-07 with good compression.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
3/3/15 11:46 p.m.

I was actually wondering the other day why you guys haven't done an RX8 project yet.

Apparently the 06/07 and 09+ are the ones to get.
http://tradeinqualityindex.com/vehicles/Mazda_RX-8.html

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
3/3/15 11:49 p.m.

Would also be very interested in a project to do a cheap chevy swap into one of these. Starting to see a lot of really cheap RX-8s showing up with bad motors and I keep hearing about swaps, but don't know if they're actually cheap/easy, especially if you need to retain emissions.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
3/4/15 12:03 a.m.

Yeah. I still amongst other daydreams dream of having Keith put an ls3 in one for me :)

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
3/4/15 12:14 a.m.

Theres 5 supposedly drivable, nice looking, smogged ones for sale under 7k in my area.

I'm sorely tempted.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
3/4/15 12:38 a.m.

I never have those moments. I did, once upon a time, but they vanished real quick after I got one. Now I have those moments where im glad I have an rx8. Like, literally every time I drive it.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
3/4/15 1:10 a.m.

I always think it is the right car for daily driver and autocross duties.

Then the forums mention the unreliable rotary.

And the flooding.

And the gas mileage.

I will get one some day though.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
3/4/15 1:12 a.m.

Constantly. Near perfect car. If engine goes Kafoom!, do a swap.

lnlds
lnlds Reader
3/4/15 1:34 a.m.

There was one on CL yesterday near me for 4k,light scuff to door/quarter panel, with 35k on the new engine/clutch. I wanted it real badly but looks like its gone already. Prices are ridiculously low around me and you figure even if the engine blows, you're in for much less money than you'd be with an s2k or e36 m3.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/4/15 2:58 a.m.

I have one every once in a while. Then I remember I don't have any money.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/4/15 6:44 a.m.

Yep, it's why I still own it, the MPG has made me think once or twice about getting rid of it but then I bought a protege for daily duty.

If by chance you do want to get one the S1 is much more tuner friendly and many more of them out there but as others have said 06-08 are the ones you want (04-05 had build issues)

The S2 (what I have) is improved in almost every way and is a much more civil and reliable car but not as much of an aftermarket (you can use most S1 parts but not all) so I guess it depends what you want more.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/4/15 6:46 a.m.

One last thing too, if you plan for a full caged race car this is not the platform to have to be competitive, but for track day fun and a nice GT ride on the street please do it!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/4/15 6:52 a.m.

Once in awhile... the gas mileage and my ~100 daily commute make me hesitate... that and there other cars I'm more familiar with for similar money (R53 MINI, E36 M3, MkIV GTI).

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/15 8:02 a.m.

At least once a week a sharp one'll catch my eye... But that'd mean getting rid of one of my current vehicles

scardeal
scardeal Dork
3/4/15 8:08 a.m.

I have one, and I don't really think that, except maybe when the road has enough snow to go sideways at 3/4 or less throttle.

B. Choate
B. Choate GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/4/15 9:03 a.m.

Where I live they aren't crazy cheap yet. 2004s starting at $5k. 2005-6 Automatics (who'd buy a rotary with an auto?!) for a little more. Later models closer to $10k and up. Always liked the damn things. My 2nd gen RX7 ran like a top, but the inadequate headroom killed it for me.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/4/15 9:03 a.m.

About weekly. I just wish I could trust that engine to last.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/15 9:21 a.m.

I have a love/hate relationship with my 2009 R3. I love driving it. It is phenomenal on the track. And the looks are somewhat polarizing, but holding up well over time. I hate the fuel economy (17mpg avg. commuting). It is maintenance intensive. 3k oil and filter. I use Idemitsu Rotary oil, so I have to mail order it. I also use Idemitsu fuel additive for a little extra lubrication of apex seals. For me there are a couple ergonomic quirks that while the car is comfortable, there are things that bug me. Biggest thing is the fact I park it in the winter and it sits from the end of November until late April. Hopefully only a month to go until I drive it again though!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/4/15 9:30 a.m.
B. Choate wrote: Where I live they aren't crazy cheap yet. 2004s starting at $5k. 2005-6 Automatics (who'd buy a rotary with an auto?!) for a little more. Later models closer to $10k and up. Always liked the damn things. My 2nd gen RX7 ran like a top, but the inadequate headroom killed it for me.

There's enough headroom for me at 6' in my brother's '05 RX-8 sport non sunroof. There was alarmingly little headroom in the sunroof equipped RX-8s we sat in. Like maybe a centimeter between the top of my scalp and the roof with the seat set to a comfortable position. Least amount of headroom I've experienced in the front seat of a car. The gas mileage could be better.

All that being said it's one of about a handful of cars that I've fallen in love with after less than 5 minutes behind the wheel.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/4/15 9:39 a.m.

Always.

If my wife knew how often I shift my glance to look at one, she'd be jealous.

If she knew the intensity of want, we'd be divorced.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
3/4/15 10:26 a.m.

I love mine

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/15 11:24 a.m.

I had one. It's not a good daily driver for me for a few reasons.

1. It's a gas pig. Highway, in town, never saw more than 18mpg.
  2. It's not great to drive in stop and go, it likes to rev and you can't really rev in stop and go, so it is more balky than one would want.

Some more negatives

• It will flood if you start it and do not let it warm up before shutting it down.
  • There is no headroom if you have a sunroof, just none.

Other than those things it's a fantastic car. The car has a great chassis, fantastic steering response and feel, great engine (when you can rev it up), good brakes and terrific handling out of the box. Plus it is cheap as hell used because the engines blow up sometimes and it gets horrible gas mileage.

I also really like the look of them in just about any color.

FE3tMX5
FE3tMX5 New Reader
3/4/15 11:29 a.m.

I do- usually when I see with blown engines for cheap and I'm thinking "engine swap."

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cTCrTVtcGjjFNYTESdegrJwtnwBhQZGDq4bkkakdVeo6shw5y0hj4aJAKoaScDKl