Motuka
Motuka
4/28/17 1:35 p.m.

My 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF makes a wind noise by the driver’s head with the top up and the windows closed. The noise is a rustling sound and apparently comes from a leak through the window gasket. The noise can be heard at speeds above 40 mph and is extremely loud and annoying at highway speeds. The window on the passenger side makes no noise. Other owners report on the internet that their cars make the same noise, while some owners reply that their cars do not. I have had test drives with the dealer General Manager and Mazda’s Eastern District Service Manager. Both admitted orally that there was a problem and that the two sides of the car are constructed the same. But in writing, Mazda says, “it is classified as a normal characteristic of the vehicle and currently there is no fix for it.” This is a ridiculous conclusion given that the two sides of the car are the same and that some cars don’t make the noise. I plan to pursue the issue further with superior Mazda officials.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/28/17 2:22 p.m.

Like with the Elise. The owner's manual specifically says that the roof leaks, and it's part of the experience.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
4/28/17 2:44 p.m.

Yes enjoy the opportunity to know your vehicle speed via wind noise.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/28/17 2:46 p.m.

you could play with small vortex generators on the mirror housing to move/mitigate the noise at the window. Try under the mirror...

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
4/28/17 3:37 p.m.

Can you poke on the window or weatherstrip while driving and make the noise decrease or go away? Perhaps you can work out a way to back the weatherstrip with a layer of something or other to make it thicker in that area.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
4/28/17 3:42 p.m.

I'd be interested in their reasoning for that. I can understand anything with a removable top probably suffers from some extra noise but it seems odd that it's a scattered issue. Of course, NVH can be a bit subjective to begin with.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
4/28/17 5:06 p.m.

Straight pipe it then you won't hear the wind noise anymore. Worked for me.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/28/17 5:10 p.m.

Listen to Stafford1500. He knows his E36 M3.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
4/28/17 5:30 p.m.

Does this imply that the soft top seals better than the hard top, or just that the hard top is enough quieter that you actually notice?

einy
einy Reader
4/28/17 5:46 p.m.

I assume this was not evident during a pre-purchase test drive?

calteg
calteg Dork
4/28/17 6:36 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

"water resistant", not water proof

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/17 6:37 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: Does this imply that the soft top seals better than the hard top, or just that the hard top is enough quieter that you actually notice?

The more seals and joints you have, the more likely you are to have fitment issues. The soft top has only one extra moving/butting seal compared to a coupe (the windshield frame, which gets clamped very sturdily) and soft tops are generally quite loud at speed anyway, soo... both?

I have not even seen an RF yet. On a scale of one to T-top, how bad is it?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/17 8:13 p.m.

It's not that bad. They're considerably quieter than the softtops, so any wind noise is more noticeable. And ours has a little wuffle from the driver's window.

Motuka, windows can be adjusted. I think that's all you need here. Working with your dealer to get that done will probably be more effective than joining forums just to complain. If you're handy and have access to the manual, you could do it yourself.

I disassembled a door and adjusted a window just six hours ago

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/17 9:31 p.m.

In reply to Motuka:

First post? Welcome.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/28/17 9:44 p.m.

Sounds like the RF owners don't ride motorcycles.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/28/17 10:42 p.m.

I was at the Mazda dealer locally last weekend buying the wife a vehicle, and they had the one RF there in the showroom fenced off with chrome railings so you couldn't get within 10 feet of it. I asked the salesguy what was so special that it needed to be fenced off. He said, "no idea, the CX-9 you're standing next to costs twice as much and kids climb around in it all day"

So that doesn't help your wind noise, but this thread reminded me of that....

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
4/29/17 12:03 p.m.

The answer is clear: buy a traditional drop top instead. It's cheaper, looks better, and is more answer-y than the RF. I'm probably in the minority here, but I think the RF looks awful.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/17 12:13 p.m.

But the RF handles better in stock form I'm not making that up, it does.

You are in the minority when it comes to aesthetics. We had our RF at the Mitty last weekend and the vast majority loved it. Also, lots of comments about how it looks better in person than in pictures.

Since there's been a power hardtop available for nearly a decade, I think we can accept that this is part of the Miata line.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9X4jc7XJIkL5yEdtEl3NKtMc8LXvuGmXlH3c2rTpCGOcTy63eJ7NCr4XoU70tl7G