1 2 3 4 5
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/18 5:50 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Let me know when you guys are heading to NOLA and I'll try to make it over!

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/23/18 8:01 a.m.

MZDSeth, out of curiosity what safety gear (seats harnesses Rbars) where the GTR's running the past few OLOA's?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/23/18 8:19 a.m.

I can't tell you exactly what they were running for cages/harness bars, but I don't remember seeing anyone get out of a properly fast car without a HANS on. I think I'll do more of a formal checking this year, but I would be shocked if at least half the field or more don't run a HNR. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/23/18 8:56 a.m.

I know this is a car thread, but my house that we bought in june was pretty similar- huge bees nest in the garage apartment and a pool that had an old truck bumper in it, and was covered in a subfloor, tarp, and steel mesh grid.  I tried to fix the pool up for about a week, but it turned out it needed to have new diamondbrite put in, 5k and I had a brand new pool- it's nice.  The apartment we had to gut down to studs before the smell went away, it's a weird smell.  but now it's killing it on airbnb and paying my mortgage for the main house and property.  Tell him to keep the faith. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
1/23/18 9:32 a.m.

I can't speak to the rest of the GTR's but Catsby Jones for sale thread for his GTR says: "Custom welded Cro-Mo rollbar" "sparco race seat with provisions for stock seatbelt on transits"

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/23/18 9:41 a.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

I can't speak to the rest of the GTR's but Catsby Jones for sale thread for his GTR says: "Custom welded Cro-Mo rollbar" "sparco race seat with provisions for stock seatbelt on transits"

That's what i wuz thinkin'....thanks 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/23/18 9:48 a.m.

MZDSeth......I know you and Brian are focused on the Civic.....so is the 'V' in the stable for investment purposes only ?

mazdeuce - Seth
1/23/18 9:55 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

It's kind of a high dollar backup car right now. Not necessarily for track stuff, but for autocross and just general driving around. Mrs. Deuce used it a bit for her summer car this past year. Basically I can't find a good reason to sell it. I see slicktop recaro 6sp cars like mine listed for $60k and I'd probably take that if someone came up to me waving money, but I don't really need that money to buy something else so...... why bother? 

I keep it mostly because I like it and if I sell it for what it's worth I'm highly unlikely to buy another one. 

I'm actually shopping for a manual K-engine non sunroof Accord coupe right now to build as a proper backup track car. The idea is to gain a bit more room and comfort for One Lap at the expense of a little weight. I'd swap in the 6sp lsd transmission from an Si like we're using, build up a Hollis K-motor and just drive it. If the right cars pops up on CL I'll probably grab it. Not in a huge hurry though. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/23/18 11:52 a.m.

Hmm, Accord coupe isn't exactly what I think of when I think of a dedicated track car.  I know I'm a german car whore, but I've gotta think that an E36 M3 or E46 M3 is a much better candidate than an Accord Coupe...

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
1/23/18 12:04 p.m.

The e46 would be a far better OLOA candidate if it had air conditioned seats IMO.

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
1/23/18 1:24 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

then I won't even whisper what I'm going to look at tonight. Car snob. cheeky

mazdeuce - Seth
1/23/18 1:31 p.m.
docwyte said:

Hmm, Accord coupe isn't exactly what I think of when I think of a dedicated track car.  I know I'm a german car whore, but I've gotta think that an E36 M3 or E46 M3 is a much better candidate than an Accord Coupe...

I'm looking for a reliable, human speed car that I can upgrade and play with. I like the K motors quite a lot and they're cheap to build. The 6sp is a great transmission. Nice drivetrain as long as you're ok with the power and FWD. These are the last of the double wishbone Accords. They accept the big brakes from the TSX. It's more of an experiment than a good idea. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/18 4:36 p.m.

sigh, all you RWD peoples cheeky

although, I have to take the blame for dropping the Accord Coupe seed into Seth's head.

Cool to see the development on the Si... I reckon y'all will be leaving ahead of us.  Might end up being an Econo battle between y'all and Jenna in the VW... depending on how developed that Sonic (assuming it shows) ends up being?  Either way, should be entertaining.  Hopefully I'll have a thread started in the next few weeks.  laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
1/23/18 7:16 p.m.

Apparently the plan is to beat Jenna this year with her driving one if those idiotically cool VW loud things. I don't think I could beat her when I had 400 more HP than her in 2015, so we'll see how that goes. Car owner is pretty serious about making me get actual track time and not sucking quite so much.

sleepyhead
1/23/18 7:23 p.m.

well, knowing your co-driver, and some... issues with performance y'all had last year.  I think you'd probably be a good resource for the pad/autoX portions.  Maybe the drags too?

small time gains in a couple of events of low duration could have big impact on overall/class scores.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
1/24/18 8:33 a.m.

I agree those could be good events to net a lions share of points. didn't a miata win the bracket race this past year?

On the other hand looking at the 17 points events from last year, a 1 position increase at all events nets 85 points which moves you guys up 2 spots. if you improve every finish by 2 positions that moves you up 4 spots. so it would seem consistency across all events combined with stealing big chunks of points in the pads/autox/bracket race would really move you guys up the overall order

mazdeuce - Seth
1/24/18 9:15 a.m.

I think we can move up quite a lot in both skid pads and the autocross this year. Functional suspension and we're going to get at least one AX in the car before the event. Mostly we need actual track time in the car, or just track time in general. We're signed up for weekends at NOLA and Cresson (though only the 1.7, not the full 3.1) so we should go into the week better prepared than last year. The plan is still not to be hyper competitive but to have fun, see the country and drive slightly faster. We're working to sharpen our spoon, but we're still bringing a spoon. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
1/24/18 10:27 a.m.

I think you can take a spoon pretty far depending how much you sharpen it into a knife :) 

I'm excited to see how far functional suspension, more tire combined and more comfortable drivers will take you guys.

Getting a peek at the tracks should really pay dividends too, we usually finished multiple spots higher at the tracks we've driven before than the ones we went into blind.

I thought we took a spoon last year but in hindsight that was probably at minimum a butter knife or spork

sleepyhead
1/24/18 11:22 a.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

Subscribed for updates and vicariously living through you!

Matt and I have officially determined we'll have to wait and run next year as he's unwisely chosen to add more cylinders to his M3 and my return to school has left my racing budget too thin to prepare my m3 for this particular adventure.

Looking forward to seeing the improvements you guys make this year!

FYI, I know Brock's made a few comments on Facebook about people removing their entries if they're not going to be able to make it.  Looks like y'all still have your entry up on the list.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
1/24/18 11:59 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

good looking out! Matt handled all the registration stuff last year, I'll mention that too him.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/8/18 1:33 p.m.

Updates, not much, but lots of planning. We're signed up for NASA track weekends at Cresson and NOLA in March and co-driver is signed up for one at Hallett the weekend before One Lap. That means we will have driven all of the tracks except for Autobahn, and I've at least seen that in a parade lap. I bought the Traccord and that has gone from a car that was supposed to be future car to one that will basically be a ready to roll backup car. When you're playing with crappy cars it's wise to have a spare. I'll be driving it probably at both track weekends that I'll be at at least part of the time. 
The Civic is supposed to be aligned the end of this week and that will let us know what the tire situation is going to be. We can fit 275's in front, so it would be a crime not to run them. laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
2/21/18 9:11 a.m.

Heads up to One Lappers, the hotel list is out. Reserve your rooms early and often or face the wrath of having a co-driver grumpily sharing a bed with you. 

Word is that the tires fit and new OLOA tires are ordered. Looking at an autocross test in 10 days with the the first track test the weekend after that. I haven't been this organized since it was someone else's job to organize things. 

sleepyhead
2/22/18 4:52 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Heads up to One Lappers, the hotel list is out. Reserve your rooms early and often or face the wrath of having a co-driver grumpily sharing a bed with you. 

Word is that the tires fit and new OLOA tires are ordered. Looking at an autocross test in 10 days with the the first track test the weekend after that. I haven't been this organized since it was someone else's job to organize things. 

TWO Days!  Two days, and one of the hotels is already booked up!  surprise

time to look for another motel6/super8

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/18 6:37 p.m.
Wally said:

In reply to dculberson :

I was thinking bulldoze the second house into it, and top off with dirt.

This is GRM. Bulldoze the good little house into the pool and then you will have sufficient motivation to fix the big house before the rainy season. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/18 7:10 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Fire departments absolutely love training houses. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
szetCJbph4d9lyvtPljVyYq48b5zRT5P8QR06BbiBULz55WHsCp4Qn0TAq0sHwum