1 ... 6 7 8 9 10
klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
5/9/17 5:00 p.m.

Jeeze! You said you lost brakes I didn't realize you meant like that

We're planning a brake service for tomorrow also as Matt found the pedal a touch squishy and we have developed a new squeal that is hawk HP+ esque....despite them being stone silent until now.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/9/17 6:27 p.m.

Hey, I met mazdeuce!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/17 6:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Hey, I met mazdeuce!

Did you get an autograph? That guy is a celebrity.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/9/17 8:18 p.m.

Mazd hang tuff!!!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/9/17 8:33 p.m.

Ok, so my suggestion was only a medium failure. I shall not commit hari kari.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/9/17 8:37 p.m.

Following along vicariously!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/9/17 8:44 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Hey, I met mazdeuce!

Me too! Super great guy, not surprisingly.

Margie

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/9/17 8:44 p.m.

Be safe guys! And I thought you should bleed brakes after each track day?

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
5/9/17 8:50 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Be safe guys! And I thought you should bleed brakes after each track day?

Ideally yes. Although if the fluid isn't very old time-wise, hasn't been boiled and is a good high-temp fluid, it doesn't need to be replaced every time. Every few events should be good, or if it's more than 6 - 12 months old.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/9/17 9:43 p.m.

We made it to GRM right at the end of the meet and greet and pretty much shut the place down with the Suddards following us out of the parking lot. I think we met everybody, had a conversation with almost everybody, dropped off a shoe box, and sort of left my autograph, though the staff is going to have to fight over it. I need to figure out how to make it to the Challenge so I can increase my hanging out time.
On the way out of town we swung by the beach so my co-driver could dip his toes in the ocean. He did the same thing just a couple of weeks ago when he was on the other coast for business. He likes playing tag with various oceans.
We're going to get in late, get up early, and get the brakes back together.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/9/17 9:45 p.m.

And about the fluid, this is fresh Motul660. We're going to bleed with some fresh fluid just because, but fluid wasn't our issue, we were getting way out of the heat range for the pads and just melting them.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/9/17 11:52 p.m.

Cool, glad you guys made it to the ocean. Yeah, it's just kind of there.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/17 5:00 a.m.

Leaving the house for CMP now. Should be there around 7:30 wearing a black GRM t-shirt. If you need anything you can call or text me at 8 zero 3 - 6 zero 8 - zero 2 niner 7.

Steve

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
5/10/17 5:14 a.m.

any idea what time you show up on the live stream?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/10/17 7:05 a.m.

Pulling into the track now. Wearing a black Simpson t-shirt a black Mopar hat I'm fat bearded it and driving El Camino

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
5/10/17 7:21 a.m.

Which Carbotechs are you putting on?

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
5/10/17 7:45 a.m.

I know that guy!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/10/17 2:17 p.m.

Today was a good day.
We got in just before 2:00 last night and we're up before our alarm at 5:55. We were at the track before 7:00 and rented a garage (more of an overhang) at the track to give us power and a hard surface. The car went up on jackstands, old brakes off and we tested our power sander brake resurfacer.
Once we knew it would work we took off for a track walk. As we were briskly walking back down pit lane after one round we saw Mike Jr. From Carbotech pull in. It was like Christmas.
It took us about an hour to finish resurfacing the front rotors and swap and bleed all four corners. We headed out to the sleepy early morning main road and did a dozen nice hard stops to confirm that we did indeed have brakes again. We were overjoyed.
Track sessions were good. I was still slow with a 57th in the afternoon and co-driver was much faster with a 50th place in the morning. The car behaved. No fade. Took a bit of getting used to the pads acting different between cold/hot, but they were confidence inspiring for the first time since we started this adventure.
The highlight of the day was the people. Secretariata and duster came out to see us. We chatted and laughed and probably lied about our abilities and knowledge on many subjects. We had a father and son come over and talk for well over an hour because they thought the Civic was cool, and co-driver took the son out on parade laps at lunch time. You couldn't have measured his grin with a yardstick.
So yes, a good day. Off to Dominion and an early bed time!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/10/17 2:21 p.m.

Today was a damn good day. Be safe out there.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/10/17 2:31 p.m.

If you need anything when you get to Ohio let me know.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/10/17 2:49 p.m.

glad you guys got the brakes sorted.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/10/17 2:50 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Will do.

As to the previous question of what Carbotechs we have, XP12's in front and XP8's in the back on Carbotech's recommendation for running CMP. We also have a set of XP10's for the front in case we find that the 12's are a bit aggressive on tracks with less braking.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/17 6:10 p.m.

Hey, it was good fun meeting up with you guys and BSing! Good luck with the rest of the trip!

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/10/17 7:00 p.m.

safe travels y'all

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/11/17 5:58 a.m.

Waiting for the gates to open at Dominion. 55 and pouring down. Should be fun.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HuAxiigf6Jc1cTaUiLlBN26RM6EmH4cxQ4qObSGoRg4aRM5Z0arJH8DSqMi0RLUu