1 2 3 ... 16
mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/19/15 7:09 p.m.

Well, it's semi official, I've entered the 2015 One Lap Of America. My co-driver needs to enter his information, we need to do a little of this and a little of that and we're good.
The point of this thread is to follow along, see what is involved in the event from the point of a beginner, and show what it really costs.
The weapon of choice is my 2014 Cadillac CTS-V wagon. I initially chose this car because it's awesome and my son plays the tuba, which fits in back. This means that I can use it to drive the kids to school every day. I chose it for One Lap because I already own it and it has comfortable seats.
The car will receive zero modificstions from stock other than a set of 18x9.5 TSW wheels. This size gives me access to cheaper tires than the stock 19 inch wheels, and more importantly, it let's me run the same tires all around instead of the stock staggered setup. Being able to rotate tires as needed is important on One Lap (especially in a 4400 lb car) as you are only allowed one set of tires to last you the entire event. This includes all track time and transits.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/19/15 7:13 p.m.

Awesome, I love your car. My brother in law is a professional tuba player/instructor with his own brass quintet :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/15 7:14 p.m.

Please carry the tuba with you.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/19/15 7:17 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

We have a lot of room, but maybe not THAT much room.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
1/19/15 7:29 p.m.

Strap it to the roof and figure out how to get some compressed air up there. My son just started playing the tuba in 6th grade this year. Those were some interesting noises at first. And you can get tuba and kid to school in a miata

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/19/15 7:31 p.m.

This will be exciting. Looking forward to this thread!

Thanks for letting me drive it, btw.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/19/15 7:33 p.m.

Living the dream!

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/19/15 7:35 p.m.

I was formulating a witty comment about how the Honda Odyssey folks would beat you while carrying a motorcycle and your son's tuba as internal stores, then did 30 sec of google research and realized you have more power stock.

All kidding aside, it's very very cool to have the chance to do this!!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/19/15 7:39 p.m.

Looking forward to hearing about this. Out of the blue my wife actually mentioned it to me last week and asked me "if I had heard of it [One Lap]". I don't know if that is some kind of tacit authorization to do it, but it's on the e30 bucket list now.

I want to be the first (?) stage rally car to do One Lap. So first I have to finish the stage rally build and do at least one event on the gravel

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/19/15 7:44 p.m.

This is awesome! So excited to get to ride along vicariously with you guys! Best of luck!!

Keith Tanner
1/19/15 7:47 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: We have a lot of room, but maybe not THAT much room.

C'mon, guys do the One Lap in Miatas. You're telling me that a CTS-V wagon with a tuba in the back has less room inside than a Miata?

Keith Tanner
1/19/15 7:48 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: Strap it to the roof and figure out how to get some compressed air up there. My son just started playing the tuba in 6th grade this year. Those were some interesting noises at first. And you can get tuba and kid to school in a miata

Luckily, Cadillac equipped the engine with an air compressor. You could use the tuba as a boost annunciator.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/19/15 8:03 p.m.

Awesome. And bring an exhaust powered tuba FTMFW! You can't win overall but you CAN be remembered!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/19/15 8:20 p.m.

You guys love the tuba part of this story, don't you?

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
1/19/15 8:24 p.m.

Glad your making this thread as I would be looking to do it in a few years once I get my car dialed in, run at least a few NASA TT events, and One Lap decides to do a year with both VIR and NJMP. :)

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/19/15 8:30 p.m.

Subscribed. Thanks for allowing us to follow the adventure with you!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/15 8:42 p.m.

Good luck, I'll be cheering for you guys!

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/19/15 8:51 p.m.

This is awesome. I'm in for updates.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/19/15 8:53 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: You guys love the tuba part of this story, don't you?

Imagine how "on-board" I'd be if there was a tuba and a smallish red car I had some history with!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/15 8:57 p.m.

This should be fun. Subscribed.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/19/15 8:58 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: We have a lot of room, but maybe not THAT much room.
C'mon, guys do the One Lap in Miatas. You're telling me that a CTS-V wagon with a tuba in the back has less room inside than a Miata?

Clearly he's gonna have to build a Tuba Trailer to tow-behind...

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
1/19/15 10:07 p.m.

So much awesome. Really looking forward to updates.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
1/19/15 10:10 p.m.

Looking forward to following this. Hoping to see some tuba photos on the track

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/19/15 10:39 p.m.

I'll be very disappointed if i don't see a tuba when you guys are at NCM in Kentucky.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
1/19/15 10:51 p.m.

Awesome! I will be vigorously living vicariously!

1 2 3 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gz6X1yrBaH6JSV9cmEcXfWBsfQgJm0CtO6ENCgFIei05WYGLyYZI19sYGtFkJnLj