1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/20/15 1:43 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: I'll be very disappointed if i don't see a tuba when you guys are at NCM in Kentucky.

I haven't followed the One Lap for awhile. When are they due at NCM?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/15 1:45 p.m.

How much lap time do you actually get in the One Lap? The schedule shows 14 3-hour blocks for "time trial". But with 100-odd cars, you're not going to be on track for the full 3 hours. If you assume four 25-car groups running for 20 minutes, that gives you roughly 45 minutes of track time per time trial. That's a half track day. If those assumptions are correct, you'll go through the equivalent of 7 track days.

I'm betting you'll be okay for brake pads, but you'll definitely want to watch those tires.

Looks like you're hitting a few spots in Colorado. I might have to come out and check out the HPR day. If the SCCA event the day before is a PDX, I might even warm the track up for you

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/15 1:46 p.m.

I have nothing to add other than that after following along the threads for the garage and purchasing the wagon, I'm very excited to do the same on this latest adventure. GOOD LUCK!

Oh, and make the horn sound like a tuba.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/20/15 1:49 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: 1-awesome. 2-tuba case for storage! 3-consider a lightweight pop up camper like mine to cut down on hotel costs and sell it after the event. The V can haul a 1200 pound trailer easily.

We could do a pop up, but the back of the V is already big enough to sleep in. We'll keep it in mind.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/20/15 1:51 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: 1-awesome. 2-tuba case for storage! 3-consider a lightweight pop up camper like mine to cut down on hotel costs and sell it after the event. The V can haul a 1200 pound trailer easily.

That would be cool - towing a travel trailer with your track car.

+1 on the tuba tool case being genius.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/15 1:53 p.m.

Want to know when and where? To the Internets!

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/currentEvent/Schedule.do?eventId=35

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
1/20/15 1:58 p.m.

Looking forward to the reports. Make it a task for one of the co-drivers and part of his sweat equity.

Of all I have read about the event, the one piece of advice that stuck in my head was to have shower spot reserved for just before the track sessions. The writer claimed that it was a huge psychological boost worth almost a full nights sleep, of which they never not any. Not sure if the current format is as much as a sleep deprivation ordeal as the original format.

And if you don't use the Tuba Case as a suitcase to carry your clothes and helmet, neither I nor your son is going to forgive you. At a bare minimum, I want to see a Tuba sticker on the car.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/20/15 2:06 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: How much lap time do you actually get in the One Lap? The schedule shows 14 3-hour blocks for "time trial". But with 100-odd cars, you're not going to be on track for the full 3 hours. If you assume four 25-car groups running for 20 minutes, that gives you roughly 45 minutes of track time per time trial. That's a half track day. If those assumptions are correct, you'll go through the equivalent of 7 track days.

The people I've talked to say this is about right. The fast guys actually spend less time on track. They've got about two good fast laps before they overheat street tires. They go out twice. Set a good time, pack up and hit the road. It's us slow people that actually spend more time on track.

Some fun math off that schedule you posted. The V burns about four gallons of gas in a 20 minute session. There are 14 track events, estimate 28 sessions, or 112 gallons of gas on track. Add to that 3245 miles of transit at 18mpg (if we baby it) is another 180 gallons of gas. It's 1112 miles from my house to Tire rack, so 2224 miles round trip for another 123 gallons of gas. If we don't take any side trips and baby the car we can estimate using 415 gallons of gas. Of course the V demands premium. If oil prices stay down we might average $2.50 per gallon (I paid $2.07 in Texas the morning for premium) so I should budget $1037.50, just for gas.
I'll keep track of the real numbers of course, but it's good to plan.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/20/15 2:06 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:Thanks! That helps a lot.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/15 2:34 p.m.

In '03 they sent on track in groups of 5 or 6 for 5 laps. Lap 1 was recon and they stopped the group at the starting line. Then they started us at about 20 second intervals. We were grouped by lap time so passing was minimal. Fasted cars were out first and we did a session in the morning and a second after lunch.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/20/15 2:42 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: How much lap time do you actually get in the One Lap? The schedule shows 14 3-hour blocks for "time trial". But with 100-odd cars, you're not going to be on track for the full 3 hours. If you assume four 25-car groups running for 20 minutes, that gives you roughly 45 minutes of track time per time trial. That's a half track day. If those assumptions are correct, you'll go through the equivalent of 7 track days. I'm betting you'll be okay for brake pads, but you'll definitely want to watch those tires. Looks like you're hitting a few spots in Colorado. I might have to come out and check out the HPR day. If the SCCA event the day before is a PDX, I might even warm the track up for you

Last few times at Hallett it has been

2 sessions, 3 laps each. One session before and one session after lunch. It's not really about the track time.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/15 2:52 p.m.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/20/15 2:55 p.m.

Yup, two sessions a day, three laps each. One Lap is really more of an overgrown Auto-X than a "Time Trial" event. You spend FAR more time in the car in transit from track to track.

That's kinda the downfall of the event for someone hoping to get a bunch of laps in at different tracks. You just don't get enough track time to really count for anything.

I did it in '07 with my Audi S4 avant. Wagons are awesome cars for this type of event since you spend so much time on the interstate. Lots of room and plenty comfy.

I may run One Lap this year in my LS swapped 951, gotta see if my co driver can attend or not, that seems kinda doubtful right now...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/20/15 3:28 p.m.

Thanks for the heads up on the presumed track schedule. That makes it an interesting game. I'm headed to Cresson for my next track weekend. This will give me track time on one of the three configurations we're going to run on One Lap, but more importantly it will give me a chance to treat the first three laps like the event will be run and then see how much faster I can get during the weekend. I can see how being a national level autocrosser like Andy Hollis is a huge advantage.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/20/15 3:33 p.m.

Having a quiet, comfortable car like yours will make the transits easier and less fatigue over all.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/20/15 3:39 p.m.

Satellite radio, nav that let's us program all destinations in before we even start, heated and cooled one billion way power adjustable memory seats (memory is awesome for driver changes) big enough to sleep in the back.
I think we'll do OK.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
1/20/15 3:48 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Brock Yates just called to chat and give me some pointers and to let me know he's reading this thread.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/20/15 3:54 p.m.

Interesting bit on the tires. I thought you had to order tires from Tire Rack and have them install them because they marked them in a way to confirm you used the same set the entire event.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
1/20/15 3:56 p.m.

Do you know if your co-driver needs track experience if they are only helping you drive from event to event and wrench a bit?

Was thinking of doing it as a father and son thing but my dad being almost 70 is not looking to actually race.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/20/15 3:57 p.m.
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote: Do you know if your co-driver needs track experience if they are only helping you drive from event to event and wrench a bit? Was thinking of doing it as a father and son thing but my dad being almost 70 is not looking to actually race.

As far as I remember, no. Only need track experience if they are driving on track.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
1/20/15 4:00 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Yup, two sessions a day, three laps each. One Lap is really more of an overgrown Auto-X than a "Time Trial" event. You spend FAR more time in the car in transit from track to track. I may run One Lap this year in my LS swapped 951, gotta see if my co driver can attend or not, that seems kinda doubtful right now...

I bet some one here would volunteer to codrive

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/20/15 4:07 p.m.

Here are the rules.
http://www.onelapofamerica.com/rulesForms/ShowRules.do
You need two people in the car. Both must be over 18. Only the people driving on track need credentials. Looks good for a father son adventure to me!
Edit: I'd ask Brock though.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/20/15 4:12 p.m.

You do have to order the tires from Tire Rack, they brand them for One Lap.

Brock2
Brock2 New Reader
1/20/15 4:14 p.m.

Moparman, all tires have to purchased from Tire Rack and have the One Lap/Tire Rack date-coded stamp, but there is no way that the retail shop in South Bend could handle all the cars. It's better for the tires, and Tire Rack's local business, if entrants order their tires in advance and get a few heat cycles on them before the start.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
1/20/15 4:24 p.m.

Is there an award for the least amenity car? If someone comes out and does this is a lotus 7 they should be declared the winners, regardless of time.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bkWX20yOWe6UJoi7iaGTt9rP97g3qijFxgmYcImeIMl0gt8NO9VjztUbqJ2E58qU