1 2 3 ... 8
mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 8:59 a.m.

I've had a strange request. This came at me both from the forums and even more in real life. People want me to write. They want to follow along with the stream of work style writing that I've somehow fallen into on the forum. I think I'm ready to give it a go.
What I need is a project.
My two big threads, the Grosh and the R63 have happened organically. Like most writers, I write about what I know. The hard part is to attempt to move to writing about something on purpose, and to that end I want to start with a clean slate instead of dragging Fergus back into the Grosh. I want to see if I have the creative chops to pull this off.
So again, a project, a new one.
There is literally no limit to what I'm considering other than it has to be suitable for the builds and projects forum. My brain is bouncing everywhere from a $400 Challenge car to a mid 90's Ferrari to a Flat front Freightliner as a car hauler. All I want is something that acts as a medium to create a story, and you guys are the kinds of enabling idiots that can help make that happen.
If anyone has an idea, throw it out there. If anyone has a project that is sitting that they know they're not getting to but want to watch me attack, let me know. In the next couple of weeks I'll be travelling across the country from Texas to Michigan, so things roughly along that path are of particular interest.
Think of this as a "what car to create a campfire story" thread, and send my your ideas.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/24/17 9:17 a.m.

I can sell you a rallycross national championship winning car that needs some work.

Or you can stop in Ohio and rebuild my garage.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/24/17 9:19 a.m.

Since this is the "official" thread for next project nominees:

NMNA Dinan 7 with broken engine in MD

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 9:26 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

The only problem with that car is location. I've got a bit over two weeks, a soccer game, four orthodontist appointments and about 100 school runs to make before I go and Maryland is too far out of the way to drag the kids without my wife getting upset. A different time or a different place and I'd already be on the phone.

Dave
Dave Reader
5/24/17 9:27 a.m.

How about a beater rally car? You get the car build, the prep, and then the travel log as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/24/17 9:30 a.m.

Or, as mentioned in the unicorn thread, you could prep a Merkur rally shell! I'd deliver it, in a few months anyway.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/24/17 9:34 a.m.

Also, is Fergus excluded from this? I'm thinking Mexican 1000 vintage class

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork

I have a locost 7 project in pieces in my garage and basement. Frame is made, suspension is made, have all the needed parts from a donor Miata.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork

My move into a rally car will come with my move back north. I'm far enough away from rally right now that attending events is a family strain.
And to answer my wife's question, no I'm not trying to actually get paid for anything. Taking care of the family is still my priority over any car stuff. I'm just trying to develop myself as a writer in a way that lets me have creative freedom and the ability to step away from projects at any time.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/24/17 9:35 a.m.

How would you feel about adding a manual trans to a really nice but hail damaged 1990 Infiniti Q45?

And/or add a JY big brake kit swapping in Nissan Z parts for easy sourced performance brake compounds.

Side projects would include assuring the injectors and knock sensors of the 4.5L V8.

Finalize the project by commenting on its adventures in OLOA '18 as it runs Vintage Foreign Class.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/17 9:40 a.m.

A Ferrari would be great, but please choose something other than another big Euro luxury barge. We need a change to keep it fresh.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 9:41 a.m.
Sonic wrote: I have a locost 7 project in pieces in my garage and basement. Frame is made, suspension is made, have all the needed parts from a donor Miata.

I've got to admit, that sounds incredibly fun.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 9:42 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

If you were my neighbor we'd already be doing it. The question is, is it worth dragging it 1000 miles each way for that?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
5/24/17 9:42 a.m.
mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 9:44 a.m.
Woody wrote: A Ferrari would be great, but please choose something other than another big Euro luxury barge. We need a change to keep it fresh.

I was looking at Model A's on eBay at 4:30 this morning with that thought. There is too much interesting stuff in the world to repeat myself.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/24/17 9:45 a.m.

Is there something specific you'd like to learn next? I love the idea of you rebuilding another crazy engine, but maybe you're burned out on that and want to scratch build a suspension, or do crazy metalwork, or reupholster an interior? Or do you just want a puzzle, and it doesn't matter so much what it is?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/17 9:47 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Woody wrote: A Ferrari would be great, but please choose something other than another big Euro luxury barge. We need a change to keep it fresh.
I was looking at Model A's on eBay at 4:30 this morning with that thought. There is too much interesting stuff in the world to repeat myself.

Unless you decide to fool around with a Cayenne Turbo.

... because Cayenne Turbo.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/24/17 9:49 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to John Welsh : If you were my neighbor we'd already be doing it. The question is, is it worth dragging it 1000 miles each way for that?

1300 miles. I bet $500 would get it shipped right to your doorstep and then another $500 to ship it back.
I'm cool with that.

I could send it right away and you could keep it a long time. On a daily basis I really have no use for the car. But, I also lack the time to bring out its real potential.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
5/24/17 9:53 a.m.

Not a whole lot of projects to do to a Cayenne Turbo unless you purposefully buy one that's been neglected.

My Cayenne Turbo has been freakishly reliable, just normal maintenance.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/24/17 9:53 a.m.

Id personally like to see you make a challenge campaign.

No real specific car or project, but between your work skill, picture taking, and writing abilities, I imagine the thread, car, and presentation part would all be great to follow along with if not compete against.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 9:56 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Is there something specific you'd like to learn next? I love the idea of you rebuilding another crazy engine, but maybe you're burned out on that and want to scratch build a suspension, or do crazy metalwork, or reupholster an interior? Or do you just want a puzzle, and it doesn't matter so much what it is?

Nothing specific, but it's the puzzle that I love. The last four cars that have seen solid project time are the STS Civic, the Insight, the RSX rally car, and the R63. I've loved the work on all of them. There will be a point where I'm ready to break out the welder and tubing, but probably not right now. I don't want to reinvent the wheel so much as take it apart and make it roll again.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
5/24/17 9:59 a.m.

I'd like to see an article on building a challenge car. The threads here are great, but a polished, interesting article (or series) would really do a lot to demystify the whole process for potential newbies. And, you already have a captive audience!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 9:59 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Let's talk after summer.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
5/24/17 10:01 a.m.

I think a European V12 would be right up your alley. What about a BMW 8 series?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/24/17 10:02 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to John Welsh : Let's talk after summer.

Joy!

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2thHeP84UyFULicDvmYHc6PHN7wn0LsWgtyFd8QBXkNMfDr6PHwxJiWqvhuOlpus