1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20
sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/13/19 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I’m pretty sure it was said “in the moment”... but seriously thanks for the cookies.  They came in very handy on a couple of the cold/wet days to brighten things up and bridge the gap between leaving the track and dinner time.

sleepyhead
5/13/19 8:01 a.m.

Some pictures from Blackhawk Farm.  I set up on the grandstand right in front of the tight right-left combo after the long right-handed carousel.  I got there after everyone had gone to check-in on the Hollis incident.  Yes, I have a shot of it coming by on the hook; no, I’m not going to share it here.

Once things got started back up, it was still wet, and the clouds played around with the light a good bit...

Several of the front cars were sliding through this corner with some opposite lock...

Clearly my panning needs work.  I think I bumped my shutter speed up after that group went through.

This viper has run for the last couple of years.  This year they were complaining about a mix-marched setup of Michelins (4s front, Super Sport rears, iirc)... because the OEM setup isn’t legal for OneLap due to tread depth.  Apparently the Michelin setup made the car undriveable in the wet...

The Datsun was back after missing a couple of days...

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/13/19 8:26 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

In reply to Patrick :

I’m pretty sure it was said “in the moment”... but seriously thanks for the cookies.  They came in very handy on a couple of the cold/wet days to brighten things up and bridge the gap between leaving the track and dinner time.

The cookies literally got me home earlier. It was lunch time when I dropped spacedet off, but lunch would have cost precious minutes. The remnants of the cookies got me home with a straight push from Dallas to Houston. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/13/19 9:54 a.m.

This is the parade lap from Nelson Ledges.. 

I've got my skidpad runs, autocross runs and my other parade lap from NCM. I'll be posting those as the week goes on. I have 50GB of photos and videos to upload to the cloud.. 

Blackhawk, Road America and Brainerd did not have Parade laps for various reasons. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/13/19 10:14 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

This is my favorite picture so far. Alone on the track, a bit blurry, desperatly trying to balance going fast with the fact that I don't know the track and have to drive this car home. In the background everything is clear. All the cars and people and comradery. When done right, the gaps are the proper distance and you do all of your laps alone. Just you trying to figure out how to go fast with no one to show you the line. But away from the racing surface everything we do is done as a group. We drive in a cramped car and eat together and help each other and spend the day talking. We are all alone together on One Lap. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
5/13/19 10:32 a.m.

Been listening to the podcast you guys did at Blackhwawk. It's fun hearing the OLOA lens from various perspectives. At one point Spacecadet knew down to the second how long it takes from checkered flag to leaving the track. The guys at the front are like.......ehhh? 15 minutes maybe? It'd be interesting to track how much the efficiency you guys have helps move you up in the arrival time compared to other cars on transit.

Also, I cannot fathom doing OLOA in the big bad wolf, stopping every 60 miles for fuel on the side of the highway? sheesh.

Edit because Sleepy buffalo just came on the podcast. I did not know you were a 7 time veteran of OLOA! awesome!

spacecadet
5/13/19 10:44 a.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

Other cars/teams make up the lost time in packing with their speed on transits. The 10 minutes we save in packing means we don't have to travel at dumb rates of speed to make up time. 

We were getting passed constantly throughout the week by other teams on transits. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
5/13/19 10:47 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Ah I forgot about that part, that brings back memories of the brief flashes of other OLOA cars as they passed us on the transits.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/13/19 10:50 a.m.
spacecadet said:

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

Other cars/teams make up the lost time in packing with their speed on transits. The 10 minutes we save in packing means we don't have to travel at dumb rates of speed to make up time. 

We were getting passed constantly throughout the week by other teams on transits. 

That was something Tim taught John and I. Efficiency and safety are key. My rule of thumb was/is 7over is my max cruising. I think with all the stickers for me that was closer to 5over more often because we are a magnet for attention. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/13/19 11:10 a.m.

Thanks for the pics and sharing the adventure!

OLOA is on my bucket list. I hope I can pull it off in the next few years. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/19 11:38 a.m.

Anytime i can bake cookies for you guys i will.  I figure if I make seth like my cooking enough, when he moves back north permanently he will want to take a week in ohio every summer and we can have all the shenanigans. 

Drag week 202something here we come!

sleepyhead
5/13/19 12:11 p.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

Edit because Sleepy buffalo just came on the podcast. I did not know you were a 7 time veteran of OLOA! awesome!

I’m never really sure if I should claim that many, since 2015 was such a cluster.  I mean, I was *there*, and I did some transit drives.  But, I was effectively an “unaffiliated” / “unattached” media person, thing.

I mean, you can find my name in the results for that year, but it’s a “no score”... and that doesn’t tell 1/4 of that story.  I think I got it down to 4 hours with spacecadet?  Poor sonic and mazdeuce have had to endure much more substantial versions of it; which, it will be stressed, will only be told in person.

sleepyhead
5/13/19 12:13 p.m.
Patrick said:

Drag week 202something here we come!

Supposedly the white G8 (have I posted pics of that car?) is attempting to be the first car to run OneLap and DragWeek in the same year.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/19 12:53 p.m.

That’s pretty cool, I didn’t even consider drag week this year because the route involves commutes in DC and in general east coast commuting can go to hell let alone the beltway in a car I would build for drag week.

I’m looking forward to Seth being closer, but we both have some quality dad time between now and when we start getting into trouble together.  

You know what they say.  Teach a man to fish and he eats for a day.  Enable a man to buy a miata half a country away sight unseen, pick it up for him, go over it, hang onto it for a month, pick him up at the airport for a fly and drive, feed him roast pork and apple pie, and you have a friend for life.  

Or something like that

sleepyhead
5/13/19 1:13 p.m.

I didn’t look at it at the time, but they ran a 13.13 in OneLap’s Low E.T.   I’d have to go back and watch their “prep” video... but I thought they ran faster than that?

spacecadet
5/13/19 1:16 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

4? 1 hour maybe 1.5.. you started telling it at/after the IL/IN border on the drive from my parents place on Friday and finished before we arrived in SB. You embellished the story more over the week but the main bits are pretty well covered in 20 minutes. 

sleepyhead
5/13/19 1:20 p.m.

So, I just grabbed these shots, and did a quick edit.  These were what I was shooting as the first run groups gathered, and were sent on track.  After shooting the last ‘vette I started back towards the back of the track, where people had started animatedly walking towards the carousel.

I’m glad I took these, and was out of place for the big event of the day.

spacecadet
5/13/19 1:21 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Buffalo says it in the podcast... GO NOW! 

When seth and buffalo invited me last October I said yes without hesitation... I talked with buffalo about being his transit driver in 2017 in the early part of the year and for a while after - officially bowed out...  I wondered if I missed my best shot to go....of the past 5 years... 

So I was determined to make sure I went now.. I have friends who have never gone despite constantly trying and saying they would go.

mazdeuce - Seth
5/13/19 2:31 p.m.

Emotionally it was important for me to get the car back to being a a car today. Changed the oil, cleaned everything out, put the spare back in, and pulled the interior apart to put the rear seatbelts and seats back. Once that was all back together I felt good. 

Stickers are staying on for now, but I gave it a wash too.

My wife asked me how I was doing today. One Lap is like ringing a giant bell with a hammer and absorbing and living with those vibrations. Today I'm riding the very tail of the ring and still hearing echoes bounce all around. It's over, but I'm not back to normal yet. 

sleepyhead
5/13/19 2:40 p.m.
spacecadet said:

In reply to sleepyhead :

4? 1 hour maybe 1.5...  You embellished the story more over the week but the main bits are pretty well covered in 20 minutes. 

Every good story deserves embellishment, including the story about the story wink

spacecadet
5/13/19 2:43 p.m.

Survivor photo (in low res) hit social media... Accord is in the 2nd row.. behind the yellow S2000. Seth in red, myself in black, time behind me in Blue.  Seth's arrow on the hood is the big tell for finding the black car... nice job Seth! 

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
5/13/19 2:44 p.m.

OK, please point me toward this Podcast!!

spacecadet
5/13/19 2:49 p.m.

In reply to GPz11 :

SlipAngle

mazdeuce - Seth
5/13/19 2:51 p.m.

In reply to GPz11 :

If you go here and click on the Blackhawk One Lap podcast it should work. Otherwise go wherever you get podcasts (iTunes or whatever) and search for Slipangle and you should find us taking about stuff. 

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
5/13/19 2:53 p.m.

Thank you Sir, being downloaded now

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pDyuHtmUEjk6MGXz79rvQkxCrbFmEaW0XfKQKFQv64ORCxWfG9PBzMgctlgGV5DB