1 2
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
10/15/10 1:16 a.m.

Can't think of a single one, even one I've made by accident. I'm a Southern Boy, and trained since birth to keep my mouth shut about the idiotic tendancies of other folks, regardless of what I'd like to really say about their cars. Like my Grandma said, "..good manners are the grease that allow the wheels of society to turn..". All I end up with is lukewarm stuff like, "..yeah, that's a great appliance..", or "..well, that's just something I'm not into..".

Sometimes I'm seriously jealous about the ablility of my Yankee friends to just "let it fly"..

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
10/15/10 3:00 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Can't think of a single one, even one I've made by accident. I'm a Southern Boy, and trained since birth to keep my mouth shut about the idiotic tendancies of other folks, regardless of what I'd like to *really* say about their cars. Like my Grandma said, "..good manners are the grease that allow the wheels of society to turn..". All I end up with is lukewarm stuff like, "..yeah, that's a great appliance..", or "..well, that's just something I'm not into..". Sometimes I'm seriously jealous about the ablility of my Yankee friends to just "let it fly"..

Yeah, that sounds familiar. I was born in Wyoming, and my mom was from Grundy County TN. I learned her way and liked it. Whether I liked it or not.

But I HAVE gotten better at sideways insults that take a while to be recognized. Those are always fun too.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
10/15/10 4:27 a.m.

"You bought a J-body?"

Yeah....Thing is less reliable than an 80's Jaguar.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/15/10 6:02 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Can't think of a single one, even one I've made by accident. I'm a Southern Boy, and trained since birth to keep my mouth shut about the idiotic tendancies of other folks, regardless of what I'd like to *really* say about their cars. Like my Grandma said, "..good manners are the grease that allow the wheels of society to turn..". All I end up with is lukewarm stuff like, "..yeah, that's a great appliance..", or "..well, that's just something I'm not into..". Sometimes I'm seriously jealous about the ablility of my Yankee friends to just "let it fly"..

Ha! I'm jealous of my Southern friends who seem to be able to say the most gossipy insults about anyone at all, as long as they follow it with a heartfelt (though pleasantly condescending) "Bless her heart"!

Hmmm... I guess that was a bit of that "Let it fly" stuff, huh?

dollraves
dollraves Reader
10/15/10 1:01 p.m.

I was raised in the South, myself, and have never been able to hold my tongue... but I've found I can say things that a lot of friends can't get away with at all. The key is to smile and be as pleasant as possible when putting someone down. :D

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
10/15/10 1:53 p.m.

Uh, I'd like to point out that the above is a chick, and chicks get away with whatever the hell they want!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/10 2:03 p.m.
dollraves wrote: The key is to smile and be as pleasant as possible when putting someone down. :D

That is the truth. It has kept me complaint free for 11 years even thought I rarely keep a thought to my self.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
10/15/10 4:38 p.m.

A former employee of mine had a Caprice with big blinged out wheels and asked me if I wanted to go for a ride in it. My response was hell no. I might get out of that thing wanting to smoke dope, quit my job, collect wellfare and start fathering illegitimate children.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/15/10 8:18 p.m.

Talking to a buddy as he got out of his car:

"Man, I love the sound of a well tuned motor..."

(Pause)

"...That wasn't it."

FlightService
FlightService New Reader
10/15/10 9:22 p.m.

guy at work had an F-Body SS Camaro for sale.

He said he was selling it and meet with a guy over the weekend.

I asked if "he had a mullet and a #3 shirt/hat?"

He got real red and said" yeah both"

MikeSVO
MikeSVO Reader
10/16/10 12:13 a.m.

We were at the dragstrip one time and when my buddy was staging in his XR4ti, the announcer said, "What is that...a piece of Merkur...?" We don't let him forget about that.

On the other side of the coin, I swear I must have gotten a half dozen 'gold chain' jokes when I told my friends I'd bought a Corvette. D!cks... lol

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
10/16/10 12:26 a.m.
Mikey52_1 wrote:
Yeah, that sounds familiar. I was born in Wyoming, and my mom was from Grundy County TN. I learned her way and liked it. Whether I liked it or not. But I HAVE gotten better at sideways insults that take a while to be recognized. Those are always fun too.

ROFL! I have a buddy (another Southerner) who claims that Western culture is heavily influenced by Southern culture, since a lot of the expansion from the east after the Civil War was from Southern folks that left for "greener pastures" after losing everything they had during Reconstruction. I see many more Southerners marrying "out of region" to folks from out west than to folks from up north. We just seem to have more in common.

Sideways insults are the best, because they take more effort to create.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
10/16/10 7:33 a.m.

"Your Healey is not so much a car, as it is a collection of spare parts traveling in close formation..."

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
10/16/10 8:18 a.m.
dollraves wrote: I was raised in the South, myself, and have never been able to hold my tongue... but I've found I can say things that a lot of friends can't get away with at all. The key is to smile and be as pleasant as possible when putting someone down. :D

I have in-laws from 'bama and they taught me how to do it.....add "Bless her heart" to your gossip......

EX: "Did you see how much weight she has gained? Bless her heart"

EX: "She is wearing the worst looking dress ever.....Bless her heart"

MikeSVO
MikeSVO Reader
10/16/10 8:21 a.m.

^^^ THAT EXPLAINS SO MUCH!!!

"Who in their right mind drives a hopped up Ford Pinto in this day and age? Bless his heart!"

Scott_H
Scott_H New Reader
10/16/10 9:32 a.m.

Nothing said but it was pretty funny.

A coworker was a Harley rider wannabe. He has some old basket case bike that was 40 or 50 years old. "That" made him a biker... He even had the jacket, etc. but it had never run in the years he owned it. At his cubicle he had a calendar with Harleys. One day I pour out a pile of oil dry under the calendar when he wasn't there.

Pissed his over-sized ego off.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w0VQeCUpj7T9Px1KoHDCjjmJJBqFEQheuQOHvASvCb50gWGs26r9X8qo7QKa0FjE