Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/21 9:02 a.m.

I was bored, curious, and had run out of bad ideas so I've entered my 250,000 Buick in https://scrambul.com/launchcontrol/?fbclid=IwAR1-OcelsaWHknrgS8efFrvVhUGE6Du3gD7JQyqnsrkiKR7chO3sRRNN5Vs 

It's been a long time since I needed a helmet and there's nowhere local to go and get fitted. What's the best way to messure my noggin?  

Feel free to guess what is going to let go during a days worth of rolling half miles too.  It should be entertaining. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/21 9:09 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Awesome!

When I was helmet shopping online last fall I just used one of those roll-up/seamstress tapes to measure around my skull, then each manufacturer has a chart of what size would fit. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/10/21 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Thank You 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/21 10:11 a.m.

Sharing this with my wife.

Her: "I hope he's taking an extra car with him so he can get home."

Me: "Wally's probably familiar with public transit."

Her: "Ohhh, Good one!"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/21 10:28 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Thank You 

If you don't have a tailor's tape, tie a piece of string right around the widest part of your head.  For me that's a plane from the middle of the forehead, crossing just above the ears, and down to the lobes at the base of the skull.  Try to make sure you're not bending the string over your ears.

When it is snug, tie a double knot.  Then slip it off your head, snip it. and measure the straight length.

If you know your hat size (and you of all people just might), a lot of manufacturers have conversion charts too.  Have fun!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/10/21 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Hahaha!

Got my AAA card and my bus pass, I'm all set 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/10/21 10:52 a.m.

Also be aware that different manufacturers make different shaped helmets for different shaped heads. Oval, long oval, round, etc... Most manufacturers state what particular shape the helmet is. Pressure points from a wrong helmet suck. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/10/21 10:56 a.m.

This place is on your commute, and they have plenty in stock to try on.  A friend recently went there with an appointment and tried on a variety of helmets before buying one.   I highly recommend trying them on before buying, the differences are really significant 

https://behrents.com

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/10/21 11:10 a.m.

Congrats on your Buick reaching 250k.  Simultaneously, I just happened across a salvage auction Buick Verano that has 283k and was probably still running right up to the scene of the accident. Even with those miles, Progressive Insurance gave the car a pre-accident value of $4,195

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/10/21 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Sonic :

I'll have to run out there one day. They set up at Middletown but we don't run there anymore. Didn't realize they had a separate store. 

In reply to John Welsh :

The car is built like a tank, I don't expect any trouble. It still doesn't even use any oil yet. It's needed almost no work so far. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/10/21 1:12 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/21 2:49 p.m.

Are you bringing the dog?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/10/21 3:01 p.m.

I've got a fantastically fat head. Racequip is currently the only sa helmet I can find big enough. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/11/21 4:52 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Dog is my copilot 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/11/21 4:55 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I have the same problem. I borrowed a helmet last year for pit stops and almost couldn't return it 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
5/11/21 9:37 a.m.

I'll give another thumbs up for Behrents. Very good service and patience with a road racer.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/11/21 4:07 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I may be there sooner than later. Another bad idea has come up if I can adjust my work schedule 

David S. Wallens
5/13/21 11:21 a.m.

So we're talking spectator races on the oval? 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/13/21 11:55 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

We are, I'm waiting to here if I make the cut to enter and if work can change my schedule a bit. A few weeks from now we could find out how badly the Buick turns on clay. 

David S. Wallens
5/13/21 11:59 a.m.

Be careful out there. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
5/13/21 6:25 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

If you make the cut I will come up to watch, and transport you home if the Buick is hors d' combat. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bAOnIqCPlQiiGleubtmnfxI0LA7qVpi7AcYc9b4Zo7HQ89vkPlB9kt7jcVvQxT8f