David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/8/19 4:39 p.m.
feature_image

C4 Corvette Grand Sport, a bona fide future collectible, or a custom VW Jetta pickup? Buick Grand National or Fox-body Mustang? Acura NSX or Dodge Viper? At Mecum’s Kissimmee sale, going onjust outside of Orlandonow through January 13, you can kick the tires on all of them. And while visiting we did.

Aren’t These Auctions Just for the Super Rich? …

Read the rest of the story

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/19 5:01 p.m.

Psst.  928 not 926.  I was thinking it was some rare Porsche variant that I have never seen.  I was hugely disappointed.   laugh 

TheOther_WoodBrother
TheOther_WoodBrother Intern
1/8/19 5:53 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I'm glad you caught that one. I can only imagine how awesome a 926 would be like. yes

Nugi
Nugi Reader
1/8/19 9:27 p.m.

I watched some of this on YT and marveled at $2500 oil cans for almost a solid hour... most empty at that... how cool would it be to have one analyzed at blackstone/etc?

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/8/19 10:09 p.m.

Richard and I are heading down Wednesday morning to spend the day. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/9/19 6:07 a.m.

I passed an open car trailer (odd, I figured it would have been enclosed) on I-75 just yesterday that must have been heading to Mecum.  It had 3 classic cars on it, all with Mecum tags on them. 

The TV schedule sort of sucks, no "primetime".

David S. Wallens
1/9/19 8:49 a.m.
Spitsix said:

Richard and I are heading down Wednesday morning to spend the day. 

Wave as you pass by. And you guys will have fun--lots and lots to look at. 

David S. Wallens
1/10/19 5:13 p.m.

Also, some news from Kissimmee: The Trans Am Kammback has been sold. :(

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/10/19 5:56 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Psst.  928 not 926.  I was thinking it was some rare Porsche variant that I have never seen.  I was hugely disappointed.   laugh 

lol, ditto

David S. Wallens
1/10/19 10:49 p.m.

926, 928, whatever it takes. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
1/11/19 12:48 p.m.

Working from home yesterday and today.  Such a stark contrast between how Mecum does things and how BJ does things.  Just watched two cars sell for about $250k each.  They rolled up on the block with no real fanfare, were auctioned pretty quick, then on to the next car.  At BJ those cars would have had an introduction song, a speech, 15 minutes of screaming,  and fireworks when the gavel fell.  I like BJ, just quite a difference in how things are done.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/11/19 3:43 p.m.

I was there yesterday, and it's an impressive event they are holding.  The volume of machinery is staggering and as David said---- there's something for nearly everyone.   

I like the oddball stuff, and they had plenty.   From an 85 Cosworth Capri concept, to a Pinto Wagon with something crazy like 2K miles.  Of course there's a ton of muscle cars in attendance, like the 1970 Cutlass SX 455 convertible I was lusting over.  There's also tons of air-cooled Porsches, lots of trucks, and I even saw a Panoz Roadster! 

Lots to see, and plenty to do- even if you aren't a bidder.   If you can make it----it's money well spent! 

Nugi
Nugi Reader
1/11/19 4:39 p.m.

Watched in envy for a solid few hours earlier, and saw the hammer drop on the super snake.  Wow. 

And yet, I've also seen some great deals over the last dew days for astute buyers. I really should make it out to the next one near me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U6gPzynjffyO2rmmbcMgucgx4eBlbD1W1mDe3SrMgvc5l3JWn59B6M8DarsyGHLe