1 2
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 6:07 p.m.

Shameless bragging. But the MG came out of the garage for the first time with the new paint last night, so I'm gonna show it off. It's not quite done, as I have to buff the paint before I install the rear badges, the mirrors and the side trim. Still, now that it looks mostly like the picture that's been in my head for three years, I feel it's time to essentially introduce Nigel to the world.

See slowcarfast.com for the real gory details and the background. Basically, it's a 1972 MGB GT with a modified LS1 and a T56 six-speed trans from a Camaro. The front suspension and steering is Miata, rear suspension is an S10 Blazer rear with a three-link setup, Miata brakes all around. The flares are from a Mk1 Rabbit. Basically, there are no moving parts with an MG part number left. Power is probably between 350-400, and weight is just under 2400 lbs. All built and painted at home on jackstands.

The name was chosen by Janel, this is her little grocery getter car. I kinda like MGB GTHO myself.

Pre-paint

The starting point. See if you can spot the differences.

The powertrain donor.

The proud owner, doing a little fine bodywork during the swap.

Video to come.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/21/11 6:10 p.m.

That's awesome.

A lot.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 6:14 p.m.

The license plate seems appropriate

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/21/11 6:31 p.m.

Little British sports car + big American V-8 = WIN.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
6/21/11 6:51 p.m.

Wow, Keith! That turned out really well! Does Janel plan to do anything other than street duty in it? And I agree w/Boxhead Tim..if that's not a customized plate, y'all lucked out!

Duke
Duke SuperDork
6/21/11 7:03 p.m.

That thing is certified COOL. Very very nice work. It must be a hoot to drive!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/21/11 7:04 p.m.

best car name EVER!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 7:14 p.m.

that is one sharp BGT

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
6/21/11 7:46 p.m.

In another thread there was requests to add emoticons and it was said there won't be any added. Well this one deserves a drooling emoticon. Since there is no drooling emoticon I'll just have to state it.

DROOL!!

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/21/11 7:59 p.m.

I hate everything about this car. And by hate I mean can't stop drooling over.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 9:29 p.m.

Keith,

That car turned out amazing! It's classy and looks mean at the same time.

That said, the Daisy's have to go. They have to be the ugliest wheels ever made.

Keith
6/21/11 9:40 p.m.

Thanks guys. I have to admit, I can't stop looking at it either, and I've been working on it for more than two years. The transformation with the new paint and a bunch of small details is astounding. I still need to sort out the handling, it's got some oddball traits that I think are related to a lack of roll stiffness, but it's a very fun car to drive to work. Like I did today.

The plate is a coincidence. But isn't it great?

As for the wheels, they are not the ugliest ever. Check out the wheels it arrived on, for example. Heck, the daisies are a variation on the classic Minilites. I'm still looking at rolling stock. I think it needs a wheel/tire combo that's 1" larger in diameter. Poking around with wheels that fit my offset and tire sizes that work, that may mean a 16" wheel with a 205/50-16. I'm not sure how it will look with wheels that big though. It may have a bit of the overdone Camaro "restomod" look to it then, not something I want. The wheels will still be Minilites style, black with a polished center. That's just what pushes my buttons.

fasted58
fasted58 HalfDork
6/21/11 9:42 p.m.

Congrats on an awesome build, can't wait to see the video

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 10:10 p.m.

That is unbelievably awesome. Thanks for building it and sharing with the rest of us. Can't wait for the video.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
6/21/11 10:24 p.m.

I wish my grocery getter looked like that, unfortunately it looks almost exactly like the donor car.

asterisk
asterisk New Reader
6/21/11 10:25 p.m.

Those fender flares are works of art!

alex
alex SuperDork
6/21/11 10:49 p.m.

This is high on my list of ideal cars and dream projects. Maybe at the top.

Thanks for building and documenting. Hopefully I'll be following your recipe before too long.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
6/21/11 10:50 p.m.

That is Steve McQueen cool. James Dean cool. Can you even drive this car without wearing a leather jacket?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/11 7:53 a.m.

They are 1-spoke short of a full Minilite set

Why not 15" Rota RB's?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
6/22/11 8:08 a.m.

Very cool. It needs a set of chaparrals. like these

Keith
6/22/11 8:28 a.m.

I need a wheel as close to the stock +45 offset as possible, and the 15" RB only comes in a +35. The Chaparral is closer at +38. A 195/55-15 would be an okay tire size, a 205/50-16 is a leetle bit taller. Both are available in a Star Spec, and the 16" Rota is a +40.

Dunno, I'm still hashing it out. There's no hurry on wheels and tires yet, so I have time to figure out the perfect setup. I might stick a set of random 16" wheels on it just to see how it looks. As for the missing spoke on the daisies, that was to cut weight from the wheel. No kidding.

I also need to swap the old Azenises back on so I can perform the obligatory Big Smoky Burnout for the camera

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
6/22/11 8:37 a.m.

Did I read that you put A/C in as well? I've just spent the last hour reading the site.... damn you!!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/22/11 8:47 a.m.

It looks really nice, well worth the wait.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
6/22/11 8:51 a.m.

Absolutely Stunning.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/22/11 8:54 a.m.

Fantastic work, Keith. It's come a long, long way since I'd seen it last in person!

...and FWIW, I think the wheels look fine.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TQkqqnMPrKxpK2rjrrQ0cYmEiUi20hb28g2CEo6eFz4Fpf1OVJU6TvdFPpo9pi6S