1 2
trucke
trucke Dork
3/8/17 9:50 a.m.

2017 Toyota Yaris Refreshed, Gains Supercharged Hot Hatch Model

Linky

But will it come to the US?

The Yaris GRMN, short for Gazoo Racing Masters of the Nürburgring is a highly tuned hot-hatch inspired by Toyota’s return to the FIA World Rally Championship.

Under its short hood is a 1.8-liter supercharged four-cylinder engine that will deliver more than 210 horsepower. It’s paired with a six-speed manual transmission, which routes torque through a Torsen limited-slip differential.

Naturally, the suspension has been reworked, with lower springs, a larger stabilizer bar and special shock absorbers. The brakes have also been upsized and feature four-piston calipers. Bringing it all together, this car has been tested and tuned on the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

Visually, the Yaris GRMN has unique front and rear bumpers, a rear diffuser, center-mounted tailpipe and 17-inch BBS wheels. There’s also a black spoiler.

Inside, the driver and front passenger are treated to specially designed front seats. As for touch points, the steering wheel is shared with the GT86 sports car and the pedals are dressed up with aluminum covers.

The Toyota Yaris GRMN performance hatchback will first go on sale in Europe starting early next year.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/8/17 10:02 a.m.

A car built for a race series with no US exposure by a manufacturer that likes to not bring the good stuff to the US? I'm highly skeptical we'll see it, as cool as it is.

trucke
trucke Dork
3/8/17 10:28 a.m.

trucke
trucke Dork
3/8/17 10:29 a.m.

What the US will actually get!

keethrax
keethrax Dork
3/8/17 10:33 a.m.

I doubt it'll come here, but if it does I am very much interested given a realistic price point.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/8/17 11:53 a.m.

I wonder if there are factory parts to "easily" put a 1.8L into a Yaris. That would be a great starting place.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
3/8/17 12:01 p.m.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/8/17 12:48 p.m.

My guess would be it'll be a 35k car... that's only realistically worth 18k.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/8/17 1:07 p.m.
trucke wrote:

I see the family resemblance:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/8/17 1:08 p.m.

D'oh! Treed.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
3/8/17 3:05 p.m.

That nose looks like a Pokemon character.

Kylini
Kylini Dork
3/8/17 3:06 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: That nose looks like a Pokemon character.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/17 3:52 p.m.

In reply to That's great.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
3/8/17 4:56 p.m.

Modern civic type r,

oh wait.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/17 5:40 p.m.

Hello Dum Dums.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
3/8/17 5:47 p.m.

I saw a bunch of Gazoo parts at MegaWeb on Odaiba the last time I was there. Pretty neat that they're making it a sub-brand and not just "weird uncle Akio's supercharger kits."

I'd drive this thing.

PowerKraut
PowerKraut New Reader
3/8/17 6:38 p.m.

In reply to trucke: "The Yaris GRMN, short for Gazoo Racing Masters of the Nürburgring"

Really? I think it's short for Grassroots Motorsport Nerd

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/8/17 6:56 p.m.

I guess I just don't understand modern design.

Still, given the playing field, I kinda like it.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/17 7:11 p.m.

It's awesome but I highly doubt it will come here. Small cars are selling like crap right now and if the rumored adjustable border tax is implemented they're going to get really expensive, since they're all built elsewhere. Ford is apparently on the fence about even offering the Fiesta anymore because of the slow sales and potential price spike. So the Yaris GRMN is probably a no-go

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/8/17 7:13 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote:

I would buy one in this color and this color alone.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
3/8/17 7:51 p.m.

I still think "It's a car!" is the single best slogan anybody has ever used to sell a car.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/9/17 5:15 a.m.

That awkward moment when Toyota gives the YARIS more power than the FR-S.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/9/17 6:22 a.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture:

That isn't a small car problem, that's a leadership problem.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/9/17 7:27 a.m.

I'm interested. I'm hoping it doesn't come to the US so I won't be tempted.

It would be interesting to see how it does against an Abarth. What else is comparable stock, a FiST?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/9/17 7:13 p.m.
trucke wrote: The Yaris GRMN, short for Gazoo Racing Masters of the Nürburgring is a highly tuned hot-hatch inspired by Toyota’s return to the FIA World Rally Championship. Under its short hood is a 1.8-liter supercharged four-cylinder engine that will deliver more than 210 horsepower. It’s paired with a six-speed manual transmission, which routes torque through a Torsen limited-slip differential.

This sounds like a weird combination to me: Nurburgring + FIA World Rally Championship.

I wonder if this is more about building enough cars to be able to enter the VLN & 24hour race? The Gazoo CH-R did pretty well in class last year, iirc.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w0LDBmeU7XtPoVFRVXr47gdWpP3ojsTmwGwDaJsqb3siR3D4m72R2uXpkTBaAIML