1 2 3 4 5
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/16 7:03 p.m.

I think we're going to have to task one of the GRM staff (if there are still any at the show) to either comb the interior for a rear window switch or ask someone from Mazda. To me, it doesn't look like the mechanism would allow it. But that second picture sure looks like it.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
3/24/16 7:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I think we're going to have to task one of the GRM staff (if there are still any at the show) to either comb the interior for a rear window switch or ask someone from Mazda. To me, it doesn't look like the mechanism would allow it. But that second picture sure looks like it.

Standing by...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/24/16 8:58 p.m.

I did see on Mazdas site that the top roof panels can either be black or color match the rest of the car. That may be common knowledge but I hadn't heard it before.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/25/16 9:08 a.m.

I bet the image where appears to be no window is computer generated that's why you can't see it.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/25/16 10:05 a.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed:

I think it'll look even better with those panels in body color.

Keith Tanner
3/25/16 11:57 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote:
JamesMcD wrote: Some of the fancy official photos appear to show the roof up while the rear glass is down or otherwise missing, somehow. Other photos show the roof up with the glass in place (you can see the rear defrost lines). Are the roof-up-glass-down photos doctored, or can you lower the rear glass while the roof is in place?
Multiple posts seem to indicate that the rear window can be lowered while keeping the top up. I believe I even saw something from Mazda stating that fact but now I can't find it. This is the internet though. Can anybody jump in here and confirm??

Mazda Oz has the car online. http://www.mazda.com.au/cars/mazda-mx-5-rf/

On that page is the following text that seems to indicate the rear window can be dropped:

(please read in Strine)

Mazda MX-5 RF is coming. This Retractable Fastback brings a stunning new level of design and excitement with an innovative hardtop.

The roof slopes down to the rear, with the retractable back window offering a new open-air driving experience. It can be opened or closed at speeds of up to 10km/h with the press of a button.

Once open, the roof is stowed compactly and efficiently in a limited space and offers the same amount of boot space as the soft-top model.

From the press release:

(also in Strine) The MX-5 RF features fastback styling with a smooth roofline that slopes down to the rear end, and its unique rear roof and retractable back window offer a new open-air feeling.
JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
3/25/16 2:53 p.m.

A retractable rear window really sweetens the package IMO.

Keith Tanner
3/25/16 3:00 p.m.

For all those NA owners who like driving with the top up and the window unzipped It's basically a bikini top.

mblommel
3/25/16 3:54 p.m.

In reply to JamesMcD:

I don't see how the rear window would be able to retract with the top up. It just doesn't look possible with the way the top mechanism appears to work.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/27/16 12:19 p.m.

I hate to see what happens to one of these cars that takes a solid shot in either 1/4 panel. (Or rear). Getting all that stuff to line back up and operate properly would be a nightmare.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
3/27/16 5:42 p.m.

In reply to noddaz: convert it to a soft top?

mblommel
3/27/16 5:55 p.m.

In reply to noddaz:

That's what insurance is for. The inherent awesomeness of the MX-5 RF makes me want one regardless.

CarLava
CarLava New Reader
3/27/16 10:00 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: That. Is. Sex. Too bad "RF" doesn't stand for "rotary fun"

haha totally agree with ya

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/30/16 4:33 p.m.

Let me ask about the rear window, but considering that the RF's mechanism is similar to the NC hardtop's, I doubt that just the rear window can be opened.

Keith Tanner
3/30/16 5:18 p.m.

EVO magazine specifically said that it can be lowered, so let's hope they're correct. It would be some really interesting engineering if so.

We're counting on you for truthiness, David.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
3/30/16 6:19 p.m.

Watching the top being dropped in person, I don't see how it could be lowered with the top up. The top lowering & window folding back and flat appeared to be an interrelated movement.

For what it's worth, I asked the woman on stage if it was possible to retract just the rear window, and she said no.

Keith Tanner
3/30/16 6:32 p.m.

I'm wondering if it can be dropped straight down. Can't see how, but between the photos that seem to show it down and both direct statements that it can be done as well as implied statements in the Mazda press releases, I want an authoritative answer from a credible source. Booth babes, as fun as they are, may not meet that criteria.

mblommel
3/30/16 6:51 p.m.

I guess we won't know for sure until FM gets one. I'm really interested to see what the weight difference is going to be. If it's close to what we saw with the NC PRHT It will be difficult to refuse the RF!

Keith Tanner
3/30/16 7:08 p.m.

I don't believe FM has plans to buy one at this point. It's a very cool top, but not one we need to have in the fleet for R&D purposes. I have to say that I'm personally quite interested though No interest in the Fiat, but this thing pushes my buttons.

mblommel
3/30/16 7:18 p.m.

I had just assumed one would turn up early on over there.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/30/16 7:23 p.m.

From a friend at Mazda:

"The rear window is only open when the roof is down. They function on the same motor and cannot operate independently of one another."

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/30/16 7:31 p.m.

Go ask some booth babes just to make sure. We're counting on you David. For the board.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/31/16 6:10 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: From a friend at Mazda: "The rear window is only open when the roof is down. They function on the same motor and cannot operate independently of one another."

Problem solved. Thanks.

Keith Tanner
3/31/16 9:49 a.m.

Well poop. Thanks for that, David.

Keith Tanner
3/31/16 9:51 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Go ask some booth babes just to make sure. We're counting on you David. For the board.

We appreciate your sacrifice.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YsxmHmMWxHH4V5iTJKoNh85CdEAgEyRRVh0WGSAZzc5RaVQFUpOBfpSPvQifgOBU