1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/19 10:51 a.m.

Those who have been following Flyin' Miata for a while might remember Elvis. He first made an appearance in 2003 for the Car and Driver Superfour Challenge. He got a bored and stroked high compression 2.0. He got an LS1. He got an LS3. He's been around. 

But when we started development on the ND V8, Elvis was retired. His dismembered corpse sat around the FM shop for a little while, then FM employee Matt and his friend Brian decided to resurrect him. They had another name, but as soon as the car broke cover at our Summer Camp it immediately gained the name Zombie Elvis.

LS3 power. A faceplated T56. Custom valved AFCO shocks. Big gravel tires that don't even come close to fitting under the body. A huge wing. Mudflaps with mudflap girl on them. This is not a pseudo-rally or Gambler build, it's a full on competition car.

And to celebrate Zombie Elvis' reveal to the world, we're offering a limited edition shirt! We did it up like a band shirt with the tour dates on the back, because I would totally go see Zombie Elvis play live. The shirt's only available to order for the next week and will ship in time for Hallowe'en. $19.99 shipped.

Get yours now!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/10/19 10:59 a.m.

Aaaand I'm in love.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/19 12:50 p.m.

that's a great shirt!

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/10/19 1:43 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

that's a great shirt!

What ^ he said!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/10/19 2:14 p.m.

Yeah, that shirt is super awesome.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/10/19 2:30 p.m.

What proportion of your local hillclimbs are gravel? Pavement? Will you run both with the car? I'd imagine that suspension setup would be different.  

Keith Tanner
9/10/19 2:32 p.m.

All Colorado hillclimbs are gravel with the recent exception of Pike's Peak and they're not planning to run there. This suspension is actually pretty darn competent on the track when set to a more appropriate ride height, it's the same thing I ran on track for a few years.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/10/19 3:19 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

All Colorado hillclimbs are gravel with the recent exception of Pike's Peak and they're not planning to run there. This suspension is actually pretty darn competent on the track when set to a more appropriate ride height, it's the same thing I ran on track for a few years.

Why no desire to run Pike's Peak? Just the danger factor? 

I've always wanted to build a car and do Pike's Peak. But as I've gotten a bit older, I'm not sure the money/risk factor is worth it. Make a mistake at an HPDE, typically the worst thing is you're parting out a car, at Pike's Peak a mistake and can very likely end your life. I realize that it's possible at an HPDE, but it's not nearly as likely.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/10/19 3:30 p.m.

I've loved elvis as a car for a long time. Zombie elvis might even be better. 

Keith Tanner
9/10/19 3:38 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Keith Tanner said:

I've always wanted to build a car and do Pike's Peak. But as I've gotten a bit older, I'm not sure the money/risk factor is worth it. Make a mistake at an HPDE, typically the worst thing is you're parting out a car, at Pike's Peak a mistake and can very likely end your life. I realize that it's possible at an HPDE, but it's not nearly as likely.

Entry fees of $2250 plus a bunch more time committment are probably factors, as well as the aforementioned "you will be killed" problem. It's a different event than the normal hillclimb series.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/10/19 3:42 p.m.

This looks like a test run:  https://youtu.be/7C81DRG5NL0?t=733

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/10/19 4:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
z31maniac said:
Keith Tanner said:

Entry fees of $2250 plus a bunch more time committment are probably factors, as well as the aforementioned "you will be killed" problem. It's a different event than the normal hillclimb series.

Makes perfect sense. Was just curious.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
9/10/19 4:35 p.m.

I am planning to at the Miata reunion at Laguna Seca on the 12th. Can I get a T-shirt then?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/10/19 5:56 p.m.

“Michael J. Fox has no Elvis in him!”, seemed plausible in the 80’s, but now it is a certainty. 

Keith Tanner
9/10/19 6:21 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

This looks like a test run:  https://youtu.be/7C81DRG5NL0?t=733

That's a race. There's also a clip here: https://youtu.be/APN51SfKxKU?t=289. You can find the odd clip hiding around.

The guys are still very much feeling the car out.

Keith Tanner
9/10/19 6:21 p.m.
Type Q said:

I am planning to at the Miata reunion at Laguna Seca on the 12th. Can I get a T-shirt then?

We're doing these shirts Blipshift-style - we take orders, we print shirts, we ship shirts. We aren't planning on having any extras. The shipping is free, so you might as well order now!

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/19 6:48 p.m.

I want to hate it because I despise lifted cars and LS all the things.

But it's built from leftover parts, and it is built for a purpose besides filtered photos taken with the parking lights on, next to a mural.  So, I can't hate it.  It fairly well kicks ass, I begrudgingly admit.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/10/19 6:51 p.m.

I ordered it. Elvis (the car) is my secret crush.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
9/10/19 9:19 p.m.

Woah, from the list, are Red Rock Racers a thing again?

Keith Tanner
9/10/19 9:42 p.m.

They are, Jim! There’s a regular series, and most of the communication is by Facebook. The track should also have the dates on their calendar. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
9/10/19 9:48 p.m.

Thanks - I'll tell Karl and we'll probably see you next year!  I may get a shirt.

Keith Tanner
9/11/19 10:58 a.m.

Heads up! We're doing a live Q&A on Zombie Elvis on our next Facebook Live! 2pm Mountain Thursday. Be there and be square. Or 16x9, whatever.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/19 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

But 16 and 9 are both square.

Keith Tanner
9/11/19 12:59 p.m.

Groan. 

Keith Tanner
9/13/19 2:56 p.m.