1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 ... 138
irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/10/22 10:06 p.m.

In reply to Stavison :

I think you just need to cage the car, then you can run all those rally/rallysprints they're starting to host all the time down in Tennessee and Kentucky :)

Stavison
Stavison New Reader
5/12/22 10:53 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, I mean that's a huge goal for me but it'll probably be at least another year or two before I have the budget to even start that process..

6/7/22 8:20 p.m.

WDCR Rallycross #3

Back to Panthera. This was a single-day event, with the weather about as perfect as it gets - not too hot, lots of sun, and a good course layout. The morning course I especially liked. Apparently (?) our courses may have been getting a bit fast for some people (no idea who) to feel totally comfortable, or maybe people were just getting a bit too wild on our hilly course and there was some worry about rollovers or something. Either way, the morning course had a good bit more slaloms and tighter gate areas than normal - which is just fine by me, especially with my top competitor typically being Nick, with a bigger and heavier car than mine and technical stuff being more of my specialty than "power" courses. 

This event saw 14 entries in Mod RWD, with all of the usual 'fast guys' there aside from Stephen, who was at a wedding. Also we saw the return of the Helgesen brothers, co-driving the Volvo, which now has a cage and is not far from being stage-legal (you may remember it from earlier in this thread when I towed it up to get caged for Thomas). Also several other drivers who have threads here on GRM. In any case, as usual DC is ultra-competitive in this class so it was sure to be a shootout. I threw on my gravels for this one, since I'm leaning toward them being better at Panthera's hardpack/rock/dust compared to the Maxsports, at least when it's dry. I also like that they have more outside edge for bite, and that was useful on a more technical course. 

As usual, MR class was made up predominently of various 1980s european stuff, as well as a 240SX and Nick's m3.

Shawn Roberts (PR national champion and 1,000-time DC champion) was in our run group as well, which is always nice since we can compare how we (MR) are doing against him on the same heat/course. Historically, Shawn's times in PR are often at or near the top of the MR times, that's how fast he is. Panthera's hills seem to limit the Miata a bit, mostly due to it's relative lack of power compared to most of the 6cyl BMWs, but somehow he's still fast. 

On my scout run, I had our local photographer, Alan Olson, riding along and of course I was chattering away with him (in Nick's giant dust storm) and not paying any attention to the course. Just as well, as dust would prove to be a factor all day with everyone and result in a real need to drive "reactionary" in case a cone or gate happened to be in a dust cloud from a different part of the course. While there's good breeze at Panthera usually, the course winds its way back and forth up and down the hill so sometimes you get dust (your own, or someone else's) moving from elsewhere on course.

I'm not really a "course reader" anyhow and tend to drive more reactive on early runs until I memorize the course anyhow, but even then there were a few moments where cones just disappeared and I was guessing lol.  There was plenty of hardpack, but in the backside of the hill areas several turns basically turned into super-deep, super-soft 'moon dust" after a few runs and gave drivers the odd feeling of "floating" through the turns (seriously, I thought a couple times I was surfing my skidplate on dust)

First run I went pretty fast out of the box, taking the fastest time in the class by a few tenths over Eric Eisele in his e30, and I didn't look back from there, going into the lunch break with a lead of about 6-7 seconds, which is (frankly) a massive lead in this class. The top end of the group didn't get many cones (I got one) so it was mostly just speed on speed, and the tighter course features almost certainly helped me. 

After lunch, it was the same course setup but with most of the tight areas opened up substantially (Adam Kimmett loves his fast courses), which meant Nick and the other guys would likely reel me in. As it happens, they really didn't for once, even with me getting another cone. With a good lead getting toward the end of the session I backed off a good bit to avoid making a dumb mistake or cones, but Nick hammered down and picked up 4 seconds on the final two runs. Luckily, it wasn't enough and I took the victory by 2 seconds and change over Nick, with Eric and Neil (codriving the same e30) a few seconds back of him just ahead of Chris Helgesen. The younger Helgesens collected basically ALL the cones between the two of them.....the Volvo is a big car on these turny courses and they're both probably a bit rusty. Sennett, after winning the mud event last time in the nealy-rebuilt Duratec e30, wasn't having a good time with the car's handling or gearing and was off the pace while also picking up a ton of cones. Rick Landis, who finished in the top half dozen at nationals last year in his BRZ, was 8th in the class.

Incidentally, Shawn (moxnix) finished with a time of 769, so that's about 20 seconds off my time in MR and would have put him around 7th in our class. I have  no idea if there were any car issues, or what tires he was on, but it does feel good to be faster than Shawn on the rare occasion :)

So, that was a pretty good event. The new transmission/diff/shifter were flawless and I think the gearing is improved for rallycross, even though it was more intended for stage. The car overall feels really good, though I have a few minor things I need to mess with (mostly suspension) and I'm happy to see the water temps still sitting around 190 for the whole event, even with it in the 80s outside. Not worrying about engine overheating makes racing less stressful. 

Anyhow, here's a few random pics of other cars there since there are no action shots of mine posted yet. 

Afterwards, i decided to do an engine swap to get more power ;)

--

In a semi-related development, I decided it was time to upgrade the tow rig, especially with a 14-hour haul to NEFR coming up next month. The Kenwood stereo in it has always annoyed me for its functionality and lack of an actual volume knob. So, after talking to a few guys in the Tundra community I orderd up a 10.1" Adroid unit from Joying (China), which has gotten pretty good reviews and is amazingly affordable. It came a week later and install was pretty easy (it came with a full harness and dash kit, plus a CANBUS decoder for the Sequoia). Works great, has really good sound, and has about one billion features that I'll have to figure out. In any case, it will be nice to have a big screen for navigation and other stuff on these long towing trips

here's the old one

and the new

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/8/22 10:42 a.m.

New radio looks sweet.  I'm hoping to get the Beat Sonic Apple Car play module for my 200 soon.

6/16/22 3:05 p.m.

With a doubleheader rallycross in about 9 days, not much going on with the car. As soon as that's over my plan is to get it in the garage up on stands and go over everything good before New England Forest Rally, which is in mid-July. I also need to get the new tires mounted up.

While most of my friends were busy kicking ass at Ohio Forest Rally last weekend I had to keep myself busy to not feel annoyed that I wasn't there with them, so got going on a few projects not directly related to the car, but related to rally.

First off, gave my new neighbor a hand moving his long-term project car from his old house about 20 miles from here to the new one on my street. He's had this thing "almost done" for about 15 years now so it hasn't been driven since the turn of the century (that sounds like a long time ago, eh?). Not really a tough tow, but I'm used to towing cars that aren't worth much money, and also cars that have tiedown points. Old 911s do not, apparently, and don't have many convenient structural members either, so we had to get pretty creative strapping things down. I did get to use my trailer winch for only the second time, so that was worthwhile.

In any case, it was fairly uneventful, but got me thinking about the trailer since I had to remove my "tire post" to get the 911 far enough forward on the trailer. I also remembered that my winch position isn't great up on the top of the front rail of the trailer, which flexes a lot when pulling stuff up the ramps. And also since we removed the fuel jug holder, I've been a bit annoyed at the big flat airbrake sitting up in front of the car (the thing with all the stickers on it). 

So, cut off the upright panel, and cut off the hitch mount I welded to the upper rail. I also took off the gearbox and wire-wheeled and repainted the frame below it that was looking pretty crusty.

I have some DOM tubing a buddy gave me a while back, which isn't the right size for cage material, but seemed like a good thing for my plan for a new tire rack - more like the "traditional" setup that race trailers have. But first had to find some "legs" for the rear bar of sufficient thickness. After digging through my metal stash, didn't find much and didn't want to spend $50 buying any. Then an idea came to me...

old jack that's been in my shed for years...

The main frame plates are beefy, and just the right size and shape for what I want to do. 

So I cut off the bottom parts with the jack casters, and drilled some 1.5" holes...

And here's the general plan mocked-up:

Hard to see here, but the hitch receiver will be mounted down low in the middle at the base of the front rail, so the winch will basically sit right underneath the tires on centerline. Jim has my welder at the moment doing some trailer repairs of his own, so hopefully I'll have it back this weekend and can weld all this up. I plan to have the red-colored "legs" bolt on to the trailer so I can take the rail off if I need the full 16 feet of length for some big car (do I ever buy big cars.....not really, but I did haul a 5-series home on this a couple years ago for its engine). So, will post up finished pics when it's done.

I also had some paypal sitting around and was looking for something to buy, and Home Depot had a closeout/big sale on the Rigid tookboxes that can stack with the smaller ones I've had for years. We've always used a pair of HF steel toolchests for rally, but wanted to put a kit together that's a bit easier to move around and pack in the truck (our old setup was like 200# fully loaded). So picked up a couple of these for cheap and will try to make a full took kit out of spare stuff in my main toolchest.

Also did some foam packing for the smaller case to hold all our impact tools (I only bring one to rallycross but like to have the big boy at stage rally just in case we need some real power, plus spare batteries

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/22 7:24 p.m.

That is brilliant!

Hitting a deer with the front of a trailer bent/broke the left side post of a trailer I was borrowing, and bent the tire through-spindle like a shepherds crook. Despite there being about eight tires on it, and the car strapped hard forward wedging the tires against the front of the car.  A full grown buck at 65mph does a lot of damage. 

That tire rack would not even wince.

6/16/22 8:43 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

That is brilliant!

.  A full grown buck at 65mph does a lot of damage. 

I hit a full grown buck at 60 dead-on in my XJ Cherokee years ago. Didn't even have time to touch the brakes....hit it square in the center of the bumper and then ran over it bumping into the air (it was on 32s).  The deer did not survive. The Cherokee just had a kinked fender and smashed front bumper ($80 new replacement from Quadratec). Needless to say, that vehicle was not designed with crumple zones.  Same hit would do $5k of damage to my Sequoia, I'd bed.  I'm super paranoid of deer when towing, especially since rally towing is always on roads full of deer........

6/19/22 8:01 p.m.

Jim brought back the welder last night, so father's day was spent finishing up the trailer mod. I was up at 7am (grr...) but couldn't get going until like 10 since waking up the neighbors on a Sunday morning (father's day) would not be.....neighborly. 

But got the main bar welded up:

I also used the remnants of the jack chassis to make some tiedown tabs (on the left here), because waste not, want not.....and you can NEVER have too many places to tie stuff down to on a trailer, right?

They're actually positioned (along with some small d-rings on the deck) specifically to hold our fuel jugs on long tows, sitting down below the "front wall" of the trailer. Once full, they'd obviously be standing upright.

I also welded the hitch receiver onto the bottom lip of the front of the trailer and tied it into the upright support. That should get rid of the flexing when winching that I had previously. Also added another pair of big D-rings to strap the tires to.

So after some painting and stuff, here's the finished product. The winch on the hitch receiver platform sits about 1-2" above the deck so won't collect water and crap underneath it, but it's low enough that any of my tires clear it by a couple inches as well. Tire just sitting there for reference. The red paint takes a long time to dry after 3 coats so don't want to put the tire on it right now :) The red is there to show up better so nobody (my crew) drives the car into the bar, over the lips on the trailer deck.

Time for a beer...

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/21/22 2:28 p.m.

Do you think you might ever go back to the 4.10 diff after a few events? I have a 91 318is without the LSD (same ratio, small case) and have been trying to figure out if I want to get a LSD just for street driving, but the 4.10s seem pretty impossible to find in a small case. Also, if you might ever want to sell yours I'd be first in line :) 

6/21/22 5:44 p.m.

In reply to LifeIsStout :

Probably not but my 410 LSD is going into my M42 project car. By the way there's no reason you need a small case. We've been using medium cases for years since I got rid of the original 391 LSD.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/22/22 12:41 p.m.

My understanding is that you have to change a number of other items as well if you go to medium case? I looked into it a few years ago honestly, so may be getting my wires crossed.

I did have someone pm me regarding a 4.10 lsd, and I replied via email, so it may be getting worked out anyway.

6/22/22 5:32 p.m.
LifeIsStout said:

My understanding is that you have to change a number of other items as well if you go to medium case? I looked into it a few years ago honestly, so may be getting my wires crossed.

I did have someone pm me regarding a 4.10 lsd, and I replied via email, so it may be getting worked out anyway.

In my experience theyre a direct swap. Some people on forums say you have to swap the output flanges, or axles, but ive never had to. I still have the original 318 early axles with a medium case. Only thing you have to do is loosen the clamp nut on the drive shaft because the input shaft on the medium case is slightly longer. Other than that it should be plug and play. Oh, I believe the speed sensor is different, from what I read that is easily modified. I've never done that since I have no speedometer in the rally car lol.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
6/22/22 11:46 p.m.

Tachometers are far more useful than speedometers anyway.

6/29/22 10:06 p.m.

DC Rallycross #4 - Two Days, Double Points event

Last weekend was DC Rallycross's annual double-points event, which is the total times for an entire weekend (4 sessions total). As usual, we were at Panthera up in the West Virginia mountains and the weather overall was clear, dry, and pretty warm. Because it's vacation time for a lot of people, and gas prices are really high, it was one of our lower turnouts in a while, with about half the usual entries (35 or so, IIRC). However, as always the MR class made up a good chunk of that, with 10 or 12 entries. We were missing a few of the usual top guys, including Stephen Nichols, Chris Helgesen, Neil Cox, and Sennett - so four less fast e30s to beat this weekend. But Nick was there in the M3, Eric in his e30 (first in points coming in) plus a codriver from AWD, Mike and his codriver were there in the M54 e30, and a few others.

RWD croo

In addition, Pete and Evan rolled over from Ohio with Pete's RX-7 for Pete's first visit to Panthera. If you don't know them on here, Even won nationals a while back in his Miata and Pete's a long-time competitive rallycrosser in various cars- so always good to have more competition and see how the locals measure up to other fast guys from out of town. 

Day 1 we ran a medium-sized course on the "big" side of the mountain that's more beneficial to powerful cars generally. Due to the low turnout we didn't have enough course workers to run a larger course that many were hoping for, bu that's the breaks. Weather was clear with a nice breeze and no big dust problems early. After 7 runs Saturday morning, I had a small 1-2 second lead over Nick, with Eric having some cone issues.  After lunch, course was reversed and Nick took off on his first run. The breeze had died a bit and the starter hadn't found the good "dust gap" for cars yet, and I took off on my run only to head into the trickiest part of the course (large high-speed slalom with offsets) only to run into a wall of brown-out dust. As this course runs along the ridge of a large hill with big dropoffs, and I hadn't memorized the setup on my recce run entirely, I pretty much had to go both feet in until I could locate the entry to the element, dropping from high 2nd gear down to about 10mph before getting back on it. NIck and I had been running similar times all day and this run was about 4-5 seconds behind his, with the rest of the run being pretty good, so figure that's what I lost due to the dust. I probably could have asked for a re-run, but dust happens in rally, so didn't bother. Remember that time lost.....By the end of the day I continued to match Nick run for run but couldn't pick up any time, ending the day about 4 seconds behind him in 2nd, with Eric maybe 20 seconds back due to all his cones, and everyone else well behind him.

Shawn (moxnix) and equally-hairy Mike Golden (who we call "the Wizard") spent some time diagnosing the national-champion Miata, which is much dirtier inside than outside lol

After helping to pick the course (for reset the next day), covered with sweat and dirt....

....several of us headed down to a local river public access and drank some beers while floating around for a while, until out of the blue a thunderstorm appeared and the wind picked up. We booked it back to the paddock to find most peoples' popups knocked down or broken....though looks like mine is fixable. 

Mike didn't bother with bathing attire....

So a bunch of us sat around and drank and talked until midnight and then camped out.  A local cat stole Adam Kimmett's pork chop, a gang of drunken UTV riders playing music came blasting up the gravel road at 11pm. We spotted a half-dozen satellites in the clear starry sky. And random fireworks went off about half a mile away shooting out of the woods. So....a typical West Virginia saturday night lol. 

Next morning, headed into town for breakfast and it was all fogged in

that wouldnt last, though....the new course was set up, using the backside of the venue which is tigher and basically constant turning up and down the hill. A handling course, so I usually do pretty decent over on that side - though it does build up "moon dust" and if you get into it, you're screwed. For the morning, we ran from bottom to top - basically a hard-turning hillclimb of sorts - pretty beneficial to Nick's powerful M3 compared to the rest of the class. Notwithstanding, I actually beat Nick on 5 of the 7 morning runs, but only by a few tenths on each run - and picked up a cone on my last run of the morning so ended up not making up any time by lunch. Meanwhile, Eric was crushing it on brand-new soft compound tires and had the grip managing to pull 5 seconds closer to me and sat only 9 second back by lunchbreak.

Afternoon was the same course, but running top to bottom. I figured I could make my move here since my car is lighter, smaller, and stops better than the M3. However, I had lost my sunglasses at some point working the course in the morning (or so I thought, they actually had fallen under the seat of the car) and it was bright out....and I really can't deal well with bright sunlight without them. Not that I really blame that, but I did lose about a second to Nick (and two to Eric) on the first run as my sunglasses popped out from under the seat and flew around the footwell during the run....so that was annoying since I didn't want to step on them lol.  Having them on didn't help, though, as Nick and I swapped small wins for the next 4 runs while Eric really closed in on both of us. I set down a flyer on my last run, beating Nick by a second and change (but still 2/10ths slower than Eric) to finish on a high note, but it wasn't enough and I finished 2nd, 3.4 seconds out of first (yeah....remember that dust from Day 1?.....). Eric actually closed back to 3. 7 behind me, which is pretty impressive as he was like 20 seconds back mid-day on Saturday.  Evan somehow missed a run but giving him a fair bogey time would have put his final time in 4th place at 1350 seconds, about 65-70 seconds behind the top three. Same story with Pete...plugging in bogey times for (two?) missed runs would have put him at 1375 seconds, in 6th behind Eric's codriver Doug Keyser, who usually runs AWD. 

Then a windstorm rolled through and made things a bit dusty.....

Here's the scoring chart (not in the correct order due to Pete/Evan's missed runs). Still pretty crazy that after almost 1300 seconds worth of competition, the top 3 were separated by just over 6 seconds total. Welcome to DC rallycross MR class. 

In any case, the car felt pretty good overall and I didn't have any major issues (an annoying clunk I was hearing all day turned out to be the top to my battery box not strapped down so it was banging around, which gave me a bit of anxiety here and there lol). 

On monday I thoroughly cleaned the car inside and out so I can prep it for New England Forest Rally, leaving mud all over the driveway. My daughter was nice enough to take care of it for me lol.

This weekend me and Jim will go over the car and make sure everything is good. Already getting my gear together, though I have a couple weeks...

Here's a Subaru.....Alex Maximov, who authoritatively beat Kimmett and Mike Julian, who have basically dominated this class for the last decade locally...

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/30/22 6:11 p.m.

You remember the weekend?  laughlaugh

Yah, Evan and I missed runs.  He ran first in afternoons, car quit right before one of my runs on Saturday and right as he was pulling to the line on Sunday, I think I missed three or four runs and Evan missed one fewer.  Fuel pumps (plural) are under the driver's seat, fuel tank is behind the rear axle, fuel lines from hither to yon go up and over the axle.  When it gets super hot and the fuel level is low enough, it vapor locks in that area over the axle where all the heat from the exhaust and radiator collect.

*shrug*

I know I had one or two really really good runs, without cones even, but the courses were much narrow in exactly the wrong areas, and there was a huge adjustment required for the silt.  Ohio silt is only like a couple inches deep and blows away easily, so it is not like driving on pudding.

7/1/22 11:18 p.m.

The key is to stay out of the silt, lol... Especially on the Sunday course, tidy driving is the only way to be fast by holding the inside lines. 

7/3/22 2:18 p.m.

Continuing prep for NEFR, headed over to Shawn (moxnix)'s place and he mounted up a set of new Maxxis rally tires for me. These are 195/65/15, so a bit chunkier than the 185s I've always used, but i figured a bit more tread on the ground and a bit more sidewall height would be good for NEFR with its high-speed gravel and large rocks. These are soft compounds, as opposed to the med/hard I've run in the past but they were a good price so figured I'd give them a try and see how they hold up. I read a few reviews from other rally drivers saying they did fine at NEFR using the Maxxis softs without any excessive wear (one in a relatively quick Subaru), and interestingly most people seem to think the Maxxis softs actually hold up better than the mediums do. Anyhow, I'll have a full set of decent Federal mediums with me as well if the wear on day 1 is looking excessive or indicating overheating. We'll see how hot it is in Maine next week. 

In addition to checking bolts and other regular checks, I ripped out the fuse box I put together last year since I was continually having issues with shorts and other unexplained problems with my lighting and fan, which ran though it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's due to my poor wiring skills and not the box itself (since Nonack uses the same one and hasn't had any issues). I'll figure it out this winter and re-do it better. In the meantime, I wired up the aux lighting (LED bars) and main cooling fan on standalone circuits with their own relays. Not as clean, but hopefully it will mean no electrical drama other than whatever electrical gremlins pop up in the 35+ year old wiring in this car..

I also investigated why the horn has been working very, very intermittedly and found that when activated the horns didn't work but the metal bodies were getting extremely hot. Looks like the internal mechanism is seized/rusted up from lots of dirt and water getting in there, with the horns mounted in front of the front wheel. I tried to rinse them out (tons of dirt inside) but coudln't get them to work. I considered just swapping the identical FIAMM german-car-junkyard-horns from the Sequioa, Raider, or VW (yeah, I like the sound of these) but in the end just ordered some cheap Hella horns off Amazon because it saves me from removing them from another vehicle. Those will be in later this week and I'll install them someplace less likely to get them jammed up with mud and stuff. 

Then I pulled the wheels and swapped on my HP+ pads and rotors (I use HPS for rallycross), and greased up the slide pins, etc. Everything seemed fine, but figured while I was in there might as well.

I have almost all the gear and spares together, but if you've followed my other e30 build, you know I've been using a lot of my spare parts for the rally car on that car - with the intent that the other car will come to future rallies and be used for recce and as a rolling spare-parts stash. But that won't happen until next year so had to steal some parts back off of it, including the rear shocks and the front uprights (which are the old ones from the rally car) 

So that's the current situation. The car is more or less ready so now it's just taking care of smaller details on the car/trailer/tow rig.  The goal is not to have what happened to us last time at NEFR happen this time...

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/3/22 2:22 p.m.

FYI, while hunting for hoops for Colin, I discovered that Maxxis rally tires can be had at 70% off if you don't mind a 17cm wide 65cm high tire.  Not a 185/65-14 like I am looking for.

7/3/22 8:43 p.m.

Sooo.....170/65? probably great for mud days. 

---

At the last rallycross I noticed my washer fluid was empty, so I filled up the tank with a full gallon today. 5 minutes later

I "repaired" this tank a couple years ago and the fix held up all that time. But I guess it finally wore the hole bigger....

So back to the project e30 and stole its tank. My project e30 is quickly undoing itself in order to make the rally car work.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/3/22 8:52 p.m.

I think it was either 205/65-15 or 215/60-15.   When they are that big I think in Michelin speak where the width is actual tread width, not section width.  I stopped paying attention when 14" wasn't listed.

Given that by the end of the weekend, nothing with a latch was working correctly in the RX-7, I cannot imagine why your horns were bound up.  Hell, the horn in the Volvo stopped working and it never went near the course smiley

7/4/22 10:49 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I think it was either 205/65-15 or 215/60-15.   When they are that big I think in Michelin speak where the width is actual tread width, not section width.  I stopped paying attention when 14" wasn't listed.

Given that by the end of the weekend, nothing with a latch was working correctly in the RX-7, I cannot imagine why your horns were bound up.  Hell, the horn in the Volvo stopped working and it never went near the course smiley

Mostly because the fender liners are gone in front of the front wheels, And we've done a lot of mud events so I'm sure that stuff was spraying right up into the horns. When I put the new horns in they will be actually in the engine bay lol.

7/5/22 7:56 p.m.

cheap horns off Amazon. Red for more horespower....they actually sound just like the euro-Spec FIAMMs, so I'm pretty happy with how mean they sound for $17....

Looked around for someplace up front to easily mount them but couldn't find any good brackets behind the grille (I will add those in the future) and didn't want to put them in the muddy wheel well where the old horns were, so just stuck them here on the old bracket that once held the M42 coil packs. Should keep them out of the grime, hopefully the heat off the manifold won't hurt them lol..

(in unrelated news, there still seems to be a small leak in the newer washer reservoir, so need to investigate. I suspect it's just the neoprene seal between the pump and the tank, but will chekc it out).

7/9/22 1:54 p.m.

Getting loaded up for NEFR today since I have nothing better to do and it's raining. It's always a bit of a Tetris to fit everything in since I roll fairly heavy with spares and stuff (especially to a rally so far from home that we can't send a crew person on a run for parts).  I recently discovered my middle-row seats actually go farther forward than I thought when I made the sleeping platform, and with it that far forwad my "bridge" pieces that cover the open gap are too small, so I had to make up some new bridge pieces...

Conveniently, some wood from an old table that I had sitting in the shed are just the right size once cut in half.

So that makes for a nice flat cargo area that's around 7'6" long and 48" wide or so (plus all the stowage underneath, which is camping gear, towing/straps, air compressor, etc.

With that, might as well load up most of the gear except the things I may need in the next few days. This truck actually fits things much better than the old Sequoia, though can't stack quite as high because of the raised platform.

And loaded up with food and water and stuff for the house/pit area. The roof box has a bunch of folding chairs and a folding table, and loads of room left for soft gear (clothes, race gear, etc). There's actually a bunch of empty space behind the mid-row seats but don't want to put much there since it's hard to access with the bins loaded on top.

To help out the crew, I made a diagram on some posterboard (and to make sure they load it up easily/correctly on the last day of the rally so I don't have to do my usual "unload and reload" on Sunday before heading home, lol.). All in al probably have a good 500 lbs of stuff in there if not more, but it should all be easy to access. 

7/12/22 12:57 p.m.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/22 2:07 p.m.

Good luck!

1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 ... 138

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2Su5d8rUxXPg3LkDDzd0TKBzdHe5GYPlO8qy84mOQJsF9fI8p2CkpG2mp5kcxEFc