singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
1/10/15 2:01 p.m.

Is any member available to make a tbi wiring harness.I of course am willing to pay for the service.I mostly just release smoke from various parts when I mess with wiring.I want to put tbi on a 2.5 gm engine.I've called around and no one seems to offer a harness for this engine.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
1/10/15 2:43 p.m.

The 2.5 "Iron duke" came with TBI on a lot of 90's GM vehicles. Are you going to use a stock ECU or something like a Megasquirt?

If you update your profile with a location, someone may be able to give you a hand.

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
1/10/15 2:51 p.m.

Having a problem updating my profile.I live in Centerville Iowa.I would like to stick with stock parts,including ECU if possible.A custom harness and a list of parts for this application would be great.If I could just go with fuel only that would be fine.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
1/10/15 4:22 p.m.

Depending on your application, perhaps a Pontiac Fiero engine harness might be a good starting point. I did a quick search on ebay and it looks like the Fiero harness comes with the ECU plugs. It wouldn't be plug'n play but the harness is dressed for a 2.5 with TBI. You would have to still do some fiddling but most of the harness is there. The example below is just a primer for ideas. The seller indicates some wires have been cut...

Fiero harness

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
1/10/15 6:33 p.m.

Looking for someone that can strip a harness and make one with just what's needed for the efi.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/10/15 6:41 p.m.

I could do it if supplied with a donor harness. Done it a few times now.

Id need all sensors, harness, and the information about what the donor was.

Most recently did tbi 350 in a 64 el Camino. Currently working on adapting a tpi gm setup to small block mopar as well.

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
1/10/15 6:50 p.m.

Dusterbd13 what donor would you suggest.I know a ton of S10's and early gm cars had tbi.Do you think I just need fuel or to do the distributor too?It's a chevy 2.5 in my 82 amc spirit.I believe it has a electronic carb of some sort.I haven't really looked at it close.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/10/15 8:10 p.m.

any of the 80's FWD cars with TBI 2.5 would be a good starting point. there is very little pruning to be done off the engine harness of those. s10 too. tbi harnesses are simple.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/10/15 11:11 p.m.

Its not for an r33 gtr?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
1/11/15 1:55 a.m.

I have a complete S10 tbi 2.5 in my barn and I think it has the whole harness and ecu. You could probably drive up and in a few hours we could have the parts you need ready to go. I'd swap for a carb manifold, vacuum advance dist, and not much $.

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
1/11/15 9:15 a.m.

oldoelguy we are 500 miles apart.

mndsm isn't posting about the r33 gtr deal in this thread considered "trolling" just asking so everyone knows the intent of your post,thanks.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/11/15 9:25 a.m.
singledownloop wrote: oldoelguy we are 500 miles apart. mndsm isn't posting about the r33 gtr deal in this thread considered "trolling" just asking so everyone knows the intent of your post,thanks.

being a smarta$$. That's how I roll.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
1/11/15 10:11 a.m.

Not sure just any GM PCM will work. I guess it would "work" if it came off a 4 cyl TBI vehicle with a matching trans style.

You will still have to get the PCM chipped for it to "work" well unless you are very lucky.

If it was mine I would put a MS2 in it. Except that the TBI injector (I think) is low impedance.

In my mind, ideally this should be converted to port injection and crank triggered, for best results.

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
1/11/15 10:29 a.m.

Could I just replace the carb with a tbi and megasquirt to make it work and not tie it into the distributor,etc.I realize I'd need to bring my fuel system,pump,etc.,up to spec.We just need the tbi for easy starting in extreme cold.And no I'm not talking about temps in Iowa lol.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/11/15 10:34 a.m.

So youre primarily looking for better cold start characteristics, correct?

Seems like there would be a cheaper and easier method than efi conversion. Through i don't know what that is.

For the true benefit of tbi, youd need to go full fuel and spark control. If you're not using a stockgm iron duke, prom ttuning would be in your future as well.

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
1/11/15 10:57 a.m.

Dusterbd13 I'd really like something plug and play if it's just fuel or fuel and spark control.The stock ecu is my first choice for ease.I'm willing to buy a system just can't find anyone that sells one for this engine.I figured my best bet was to ask someone on this forum,with efi conversion experience, if they were interested in assembling and selling me a system.It makes life easier for me and makes some coin for the guy with the experience to use on his project.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
1/11/15 11:07 a.m.

Should be able to find a vehicle in GM's lineup that is most like your engine/trans combination and go from there. Swap everything including the distributor and the rest of the ignition system if you don't want to do much swap engineering. This will also probably require an electric fuel pump and regulator set for proper pressure for the TBI unit. Something like a Citation or Fiero or S10 donor would be the easy way to find all these parts quickly. Wire lengths for the electrical harnesses may need changing.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
1/11/15 11:36 a.m.

WHat is the application?

Better starting, are you looking at stationary power auto start?

GM TBI has regulator built into TB, uses two lines (pressure feed and return)

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
1/11/15 12:03 p.m.

It's for a 82 amc spirit that could be spending some time in Alaska.I'm looking for better starting in all conditions.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
1/11/15 2:24 p.m.

Can't help you with the harness but I lived in Bloomfield for four or five years and use to come to centerville for your junkyards!

singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
1/11/15 2:35 p.m.

I fairly recently moved up here.I do business with Rick that owns the yard in Cincinnati about 15 miles from me.If you had any favorite yards you that had older stuff around here I'd appreciate the info.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i36cwzldzs1pRCVL0jdk5LiXRI2rXVqGqBkv7g4OjA8FV3eyP8I5I6y798snMFHr