1 2
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
12/29/13 7:04 p.m.

Here's what I got for XMAS.

2000 Lincoln LS 5speed V6 and yes . . . It is black

It supposedly has a lunched motor, and about 145k miles on it. I'm dropping a battery in later this week to see what is what.

If the engine is salad, my options are:

• LR4 (LS in my LS)
  • LT1 from Roadmonster
  • BMW V8 (3.0L)

I'm leaning towards the LT1 and Saginaw w/ bellhousing that has no scheduled appearence in anything in the driveway.

There is enough stuff on here to sell off that could make it to the challenge.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/29/13 7:06 p.m.

LS in the LS is where my brain went.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/29/13 7:08 p.m.

LS3 as much as I hate to say...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/29/13 8:30 p.m.

LS

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/29/13 9:11 p.m.

that looks like a very Merry Christmas. needs some 302 boss ford crate goodness.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
12/29/13 11:02 p.m.

coyote.

old_
old_ Reader
12/29/13 11:30 p.m.

LS for sure

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
12/31/13 2:45 p.m.

LS in my LS by a land slide

I'm trying to do this on a Challenge budget. I'm not sure I can get all the LS1 intake and stuff + 4.8 to keep it in that budget.

The 4.8 plus other junk was about ~$500 (not including the LS1 stuff since the truck mani is too tall). The LT1 was $200 with everything included.

We'll see what the spreadsheet says . . .

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/31/13 3:01 p.m.

F2T. DUH.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/13 3:43 p.m.

13bt all the cars!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
1/4/14 5:36 p.m.

Began de-modding the LS. Everything in the interior appear to work accept the rear window regulators and possibly the in dash CD changer (still testing this).

Three amps, a ton of crap wiring (who places angel eye rings in the trunk for trunk lights?) and a beater sub box all came out.

I wanted to see if it was going to run (to test fuel system and other things).

Hmmmm

I took some notes about the 3 (yes 3) fuse panels. I checked the fuses and moved some relays . . .

Tiny man with a hammer trying to get out

For now, I'll continue to test stuff to get ready for stripping and selling.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
1/4/14 6:22 p.m.

Wow... um...that's busted.

Offtopic- how hard would it be to swap a Triton into this? And by extension, an SVT lighting supercharged motor? Or termi cobra.....

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
1/4/14 7:04 p.m.

Turbo the stock Duratec? The junkyards are littered with these motors.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/4/14 7:07 p.m.

Always thought those were sharp-looking cars.. Come to think of it, it's been several years since I've seen one in person, which is odd since they're not terribly old.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
1/4/14 7:14 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Busted doesn't begin to describe it.

4.6 (SOHC and DOHC) and 5.4 should fit. They would need a front sump oil pan then design the mounts and go.

The SVT lightening motor may be too tall and you'll have to cut a hole in the hood. Not sure on the terminator motor.

For the 4.8, I need to get a complete LS1 top end (intake, fuel rails, injectors and injector pigtails) since the truck intake is too tall. Of course, peeps want ~$300 for a complete package I am going to pick up a ~$50 LS1 intake, make some spacers to use the truck rail + injectors, cut down the crossover tube and add some AN fittings to make it all fit without cutting the hood. Should be able to get it done for ~$80.

The GTO front pan would make this easy, but @ ~$300 buy in, I'm going to chop the truck pan and have it welded up (~$100)

There's some more tricks I have up my sleeve . . .

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
1/4/14 7:16 p.m.
Mazda787b wrote: Turbo the stock Duratec? The junkyards are littered with these motors.

I thought about this as well, but Mrs. Zero might kick me out for bringing yet another motor home

They "supposedly" all suffer from the same bearing issue (not sure if it's a poor maintenance, internet rumor or not).

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/4/14 8:49 p.m.

Ford made about 263,000 LSs but only 2,331 were V6/5 speed models. They were pretty rare. What else the the Getrag 221 bolt to? I could only find the 3L Duratec and the 3.9L V8.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
1/4/14 10:17 p.m.

Jenvey makes an ITB setup for the Duratec 30. THAT would be worth cutting into the hood for.

http://www.jenvey.co.uk/home/throttle-body-kits/jenvey-dynamics/ford-v6-duratec-sf45-throttle-body-kit-ckfd12

Someone across the pond does some hotter cams. I think it was Kent, don't recall that part of it. You could always call someone like Web to regrind a set of stock cams.

There's a place called Nautulus Performance that my buddy has bought Contour stuff from. Apparently, they can punch one of these to almost 4.0L. I'm guessing it's using some Duratec 35/37 stuff but I haven't researched it too in-depth.

If you could get close to the new Duratec 37 level of HP as you'd get in a good Mustang, I think it would be a fun ride.

4.6 DOHC would be pretty cool as well. You could obviously do that for a lot less money.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
1/5/14 3:10 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle:

I believe it works with the SHO 3.4L V8.

bentwrench
bentwrench New Reader
1/5/14 8:28 a.m.

I was told the Getrag 221 will not hold up the the V8

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
1/7/14 1:27 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench:

I've heard that as well. Supposedly, the MTX from the Contour SVT and MTX from the Mazda 6 have been used with SHO V8 without issues. The hp/tq numbers of the SHO V8 is right in line with the 2nd gen LS V6.

So . . . It could work

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
1/7/14 1:28 p.m.

Holy E36 M3 . . . Peeps want almost as much for a stock LS1 intake as they want for a LS6 one . . .

fujioko
fujioko Reader
1/7/14 8:03 p.m.

I cut up my 01 Lincoln LS V8 with a sawzall… My arm still hurts from the sawzall getting jammed. Anyway, I vote for the 302 if the v6 is NFG.

While cutting up my LS I found the car has a lot of unnecessary parts. I’m not sure about the v6 but the v8 cars have a uber complicated hydraulically powered cooling fan with a small pump mounted to the engine. An incredible bit of engineering that could be replaced with an electric fan and a toggle switch.

You’ll find a lot of interesting stuff once you start digging under the hood. The rear of the engine compartment is packed with a huge jumble of parts that can easily be removed to gain a lot of working space. The recommended way of removing the v8 was to drop it with the subframe but the engine can be pulled topside by removing the junk on the rear of the engine compartment.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/7/14 9:15 p.m.
Mazda787b wrote: Turbo the stock Duratec? The junkyards are littered with these motors.

I like this idea. Cheap engine + Cheap eBay Turbo = Fun

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
1/7/14 10:18 p.m.

If it were me i'd replace the stock motor and turbo it.

Weird factoid about 5spd LS: The 5th gear ratio is 1:1.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BhRyCUQsIoJDwOWcq2DZ92pPvttJftthVhHw4hYKtvrTqGBdU7ZmSt8E7wBkIR6Z