1 2 3
dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
2/21/12 6:54 p.m.

Kinda surprised it hasn't been discussed already. Uses the miata minus the body as the donor. Just wanted to see what the grm cried thought.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
2/21/12 6:56 p.m.

Built in the UK so that might be the reason.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
2/21/12 7:06 p.m.

They(meaning pretty much everything they build) aren't built for competition,way too many tubes ending with no continuation and "roll bars" with no vertical supports and the worst of their cars is the little one with the bike engine.Some how they figured it was a good idea to build a single roll hoop in the center of the car while you sit in the usual side location-safety 1st.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/12 7:11 p.m.

not the prettiest thing in the world.. kind of a cross between a seven and an atom

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/21/12 7:25 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: not the prettiest thing in the world.. kind of a cross between a seven and an atom

What the berkeley is wrong that roll bar?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
2/21/12 7:28 p.m.

It's been used once already ?

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
2/21/12 7:32 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
mad_machine wrote: not the prettiest thing in the world.. kind of a cross between a seven and an atom

See my point?

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
2/21/12 7:32 p.m.

Someone in the Atlanta area has the rights to sell them in the USA. I believe they will be displayed at Carlisle, and I would expect them to be at The Mitty (based on audience and distance alone). Personally, I am anxiously awaiting the FX-5 from Paco Motorsports.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
2/21/12 8:00 p.m.

In reply to mistanfo: That fx-5 looks interesting. Any talk of potential cost?

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/21/12 8:12 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:

Gurney bubble?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/12 8:21 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: What the berkeley is wrong that roll bar?

Everything.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
2/21/12 9:32 p.m.

Haven't heard potential cost, but I have a line on a $400 Miata with a rusty tub that is mechanically great. And has a brand new soft top. Figure I can sell more than $400 in parts, so at least the donor would be free.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
2/21/12 9:50 p.m.

I'm still pondering a car built in the UK named "Exocet".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/4/newsid_2504000/2504155.stm

It's time for somebody to start making something to build with Miata components, though. Wish there was a modern version of Bill Devin around.

jmc14
jmc14 New Reader
2/21/12 10:36 p.m.

I am building this. It will have a dedicated space frame that utilizes the stock miata cradles and drivetrain. It will also use essentially everything else, wiring, steering, fuel system, ect... to keep the cost low.

The body is fiberglass. The hood is one piece and tilts forward. It will have the polycarbonate speedster style windscreen. As an option a taller DOT approved windshield will be available.

Target weight is 1400lbs. Target kit price is around 5K. I am in the process of setting up the business to sell the kits. When I have the website set up I will advertise it here.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
2/21/12 10:41 p.m.

Thanks for posting the updated renderings - I continue to look forward to seeing that car succeed.

jmc14
jmc14 New Reader
2/21/12 10:47 p.m.

Me too. The body that I am using to build this (Sammio-Spyder from England) is in the states and cleared customs last week. It is suppose to arrive at my door next week. I will modify to look like the rendering. While I have designed the frame I have to have the body in my possession to start fabrication. I can't wait to get started.

MattGent
MattGent New Reader
2/22/12 6:22 a.m.

The exocet is so close to being really neat and cheap, but a few things turn me off. The rollbar arrangement (even their competition bar is mounted on some small plates fillet-welded and loaded in bending). The HUGE wheel spacers they have to run just to make the fenders fit. Its not as light as you would want it to be, but I guess that's a trade-off for using the subframes.

Its a bit more expensive by the time it gets here (~$6k) than over there. The rollbar can be fixed, and so can the fenders though.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
2/22/12 8:46 a.m.
jmc14 wrote: Me too. The body that I am using to build this (Sammio-Spyder from England) is in the states and cleared customs last week. It is suppose to arrive at my door next week. I will modify to look like the rendering. While I have designed the frame I have to have the body in my possession to start fabrication. I can't wait to get started.

Keep us all apprised of your efforts, build thread, etc. I'm looking to build one too. Is yours the one that was widened to accept the Miata underpinnings? I've been following the various threads over on madaboutkitcars. Since this is more or less a Lancia D24 tribute car, and I'm not a huge fan of the Heralds underpinnings, I was thinking RX7 front and rear subframes chopped 8" to the narrow body size attached to a modified tube chasis with a VR6 engine mated to a 5 speed like this: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2583054

unevolved
unevolved Dork
2/22/12 9:12 a.m.

Every time I see the Exocet brought up, I can't help but think, "I could make a better product than that." Maybe one day I'll put my money where my mouth is and try.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/22/12 9:16 a.m.
jmc14 wrote: Me too. The body that I am using to build this (Sammio-Spyder from England) is in the states and cleared customs last week. It is suppose to arrive at my door next week. I will modify to look like the rendering. While I have designed the frame I have to have the body in my possession to start fabrication. I can't wait to get started.

For your saleable kit, do you plan to have Sammio change the molds? Probably end up being a lot cheaper and higher quality for them to make the changes. It's a great idea, BTW- even my '99 Miata's body is going away, so putting the "skate" under a car like that would be pretty awesome.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/22/12 9:17 a.m.

In reply to jmc14:

Do you know if anything other then Miata engine will fit under the hood?

Kram
Kram New Reader
2/22/12 9:22 a.m.

Even though I will soon be a competitor to MEV* I believe in support and encouragement to the industry so I see the positives in it.

As someone mentions above you can take a rusty old Miata and for a reasonable price turn it into something a bit special on a budget if that type of Exo is what you may like to be seen in.

There's a lot of kit cars out there stuck in the corner of sheds that the owners have run out of energy after 6 months and to get a kit car that can be assembled quite quickly is a bonus in the market and yes, you will have to accept the weight of the Miata's subframes in the balance but it would only be a small majority that would actually race them so it's not going to effect many.

Looks are of course subjective to what you like but I must admit the roll bar ain't going to be everyone's cup of tea but hey, it's only a hacksaw and a weekend away from looking completely different.

In reply to DeadSkunk: (Re; What's wrong with the rollbar?)

"it's already been used once".

LMAO!!

I will be on the market this year with this and others http://www.wix.com/cheapracer/gsrracer but will do the right thing and support grassrootsmotorsports.com when the full release time comes

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/12 10:38 a.m.

I love the Samio, but that was a bit of a crass hijack. As for the Exocet, besides the ridiculous rollbar and slightly awkward styling, it shows potential. My main gripe is that it uses the motor in the stock position, whereas if I'm going to go through all the work to build something like this, I'd like to see the motor pushed backwards significantly.

One thing that the Exocet has going for it is that it uses the stock suspension. That may be a compimize from a performance standpoint, but there's some would-be kit builders who don't trust a modified suspension.

chaparral
chaparral Reader
2/22/12 10:39 a.m.

In reply to unevolved:

You're 2/3 of the way there.

jmc14
jmc14 New Reader
2/22/12 10:39 a.m.

Thanks for the questions. I love all types of cars.

I am the one that had Sammio widen the body. I have an agreement with Sammio to produce and sell the bodies here. I have built a lot of molds and no what I am doing. The final molds and frame jigs will be built here. They will be produced here.

It is my goal for the hood to clear other engines, including V8's. I have built a number of cars using LS engines. I will end up doing a version of this car with an LS engine, Tremec 6 speed, and Vette suspension. But, the Miata based car is first.

Having fun, John

Good luck Kram with your car and Exocet too. I think that it is cool that there are some new kits out there and coming soon.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cDOW4pGf1mrGT5ondBqVPlVAggptNeBnw6OU4hvB8XOYBJMx6FI1DugySxXOZGuR