1 2 3
Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/5/15 1:05 p.m.

OK, thanks to Curtis I have some capital for a new competition wheel/tire combo for the Manic Miata. Can't spend it all on this, so it's the budget edition, but at least not the poverty edition.

Running in SSM so UTOQ is not an issue. Value and longevity are paramount. I'm not a top level driver and the car is not prepped near the limit, so I don't need the very best tires that can get me through half a season. Currently have long-dead Kumho V700s in 205/50(?)/15 on 15x7 K1s. Compare and contrast the following, or propose alternate route:

1) Jongbloed Aero500, 15x9, Hankook Z214 C71 in 225/45/15

Total package price $515 wheels + $715 tires + $110 shipping + $100 mounting = $1440 +/-

Pros: Bronze finish, looks good, strong, includes good 949R hardware kit
Cons: 15.4 lbs / wheel (not bad, not best), minimum $100 and time spent on mount/balance

2) Advanti Storm S1, 15x9, Hankook Z214 C71 in 225/45/15

Total package price $565 wheels + $715 tires + $100 shipping = $1380 +/-

Pros: 12.2 lbs, cheaper package price, looks OK
Cons: Prefer bronze (could plastidip), looks OK

3) TR Motorsports C3M S1, 15x9, Toyo RR in 225/45/15

Total package price $435 wheels + $750 tires + $100 shipping = $1285 +/-

Pros: Cheapest package price, RRs are unknown quantity
Cons: 15.8 lbs, prefer bronze (could plastidip), looks dull, RRs are unknown quantity

Non-budget edition would have bronze 15x9 6ULs, but that's another $160-$175 I don't want to spend if I can help it.

Anybody have other recommendations? I'd like to get at least couple seasons and 16-24 autocrosses out of the tires. Thanks!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/15 1:10 p.m.

You're making two separate decisions.

What tire to use?

What wheel to use?

Out of the wheels, I have both the Advantis and the Jongbloeds. It comes down to weight vs cost. Your call. Since the Jongbloeds showed up, the TRM wheels aren't a compelling choice.

For tires, I've run the RR. It's a track tire, I suspect it won't come up to speed fast enough to compete with a soft compound autox tire. But the RR is a quick track tire with a decent lifespan.

Keith Tanner
1/5/15 1:12 p.m.

Hang on - where did you get that pricing info for the Jongbloeds? They're $432 for a set of 4, not $515.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/5/15 1:12 p.m.

I assume the RR is softer than the RA1?

[edit]

Keith Tanner wrote: Hang on - where did you get that pricing info for the Jongbloeds? They're $432 for a set of 4, not $515.

That $515 includes all new 949 valve stems and lugs, as opposed to the "free" TR kit that comes with their stuff.

Keith Tanner wrote: You're making two separate decisions. What tire to use? What wheel to use?

Separate but related. I can spend more on tires if I spend less on wheels, and still keep my package cost in the $1300-$1400 range.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/15 1:19 p.m.

1)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/5/15 1:25 p.m.

If the car isn't prepped to the limits/competitive, any reason why you NEED to run R-comps?

For a budget "I'm going to drive the nuts off of this thing for fun," why not some 15x8 Jongbloeds and some 205/50 Federal RS-Rs? You should be able to get the Federals for about $350 shipped, and they're at least as good as RT615s. Added bonus for not having to change tires at the event. (ASSuming this is a street legal car as well.)

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/5/15 1:28 p.m.

It is street legal, but I don't mind changing tires, and I expect to have a cheap HF trailer in the garage very soon. I don't NEED to run R-comps, but they sure help get the power down. Because boost. And I am traction challenged at both ends of the car on the current 205s.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/5/15 1:32 p.m.
Duke wrote: It is street legal, but I don't mind changing tires, and I expect to have a cheap HF trailer in the garage very soon. I don't NEED to run R-comps, but they sure help get the power down. Because boost. And I am traction challenged at both ends of the car on the current 205s.

I hear you on traction-challenged. My Miata with some crap T1Rs is a messy handful. I expect it'll be an entirely different story with the bunch of used RT615s i picked up recently.

Can you not even flat foot second in a straight line without spinning?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/15 1:37 p.m.

Sorry, I couldn't hear anything over the fact that one set of wheels is over 3lb per corner lighter than the others.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/5/15 1:41 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I hear you on traction-challenged. My Miata with some crap T1Rs is a messy handful. I expect it'll be an entirely different story with the bunch of used RT615s i picked up recently. Can you not even flat foot second in a straight line without spinning?

Yeah, I have 205 T1Rs for the street tires, which I can't wait to get rid of either. With the Torsen it won't quite spin them from a roll in second, but I can't have the wheel turned at all. When autocrossing, even before the Kumhos were completely lifeless, I had to exercise a lot of self control with the throttle in order to come out of a corner pointed the right direction.

I guess I could go with whatever the hot ST tire is and skip the R-comps, but I was kind of looking forward to giggity giggity grip.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/5/15 1:43 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Sorry, I couldn't hear anything over the fact that one set of wheels is over 3lb per corner lighter than the others.

Given the price point, that's looking like my favorite too. A couple cans of bronze Plastidip can't be that much.

Keith Tanner
1/5/15 1:43 p.m.

Yes, the RR is softer than the RA1.

You can use cheap rubber valve stems with the Jongbloeds if you want. FYI.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/5/15 1:50 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Yes, the RR is softer than the RA1. You can use cheap rubber valve stems with the Jongbloeds if you want. FYI.

Thanks!

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
1/5/15 1:51 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Sorry, I couldn't hear anything over the fact that one set of wheels is over 3lb per corner lighter than the others.

I agree; package 2 looks like the way to go to me.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/5/15 1:53 p.m.

I'd see if you can see a set of those Storm S1s in person. I think they look positively hideous on an NA, barely passable on an NB.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/5/15 2:00 p.m.

What do you think of the C3Ms? I don't mind those on an NA, and they are... similar. That's why I thought the Storms would be OK.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
1/5/15 2:04 p.m.

At least for R-comps the Z214 have a good life expectancy. I have 2 seasons and just hit triple digit runs on mine. They're worn out, but not corded yet. Was pretty impressed with the first 10 events on them. Might even have to run the Hankooks for another championship event this season. The 225-45-15 C71 is no longer in stock at tirerack.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/5/15 2:05 p.m.

The C3Ms look far better in person.

That all said, if you just want light, the Storms are a good wheel, i just cringe every time i see them on a Miata.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
1/5/15 2:05 p.m.

Spec miata take offs are about $75 each and seem like they might help your traction issues. Especially with a co driver mine seemed pretty happy. Just FYI

Keith Tanner
1/5/15 2:11 p.m.

The Storms look very different to the C3M. The 15x9s have a dish to them that doesn't show up in some of the Tire Rack pics. I like 'em - I get a lot of comments on them as well.

Look away, Swanky.

C3M

evildky
evildky Dork
1/5/15 2:36 p.m.

9" wide wheels with Hoosier 275/35/15 A6's

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/5/15 3:04 p.m.
evildky wrote: 9" wide wheels with Hoosier 275/35/15 A6's

1) Don't want to sawzall the fenders.

B) I'd like to pay less for something that lasts more than half a season.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/5/15 3:07 p.m.

They look decent on your car because of the huge wing and front dam/splitter treatment, Keith.

The huge concave looks thoroughly bizarre on a stock exterior.

No way my car could pull them off.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
1/5/15 3:13 p.m.

Must. Image. Search.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
1/5/15 3:19 p.m.

You will regret not going with the lightest wheel you can get. 3lbs of unsprung weight will make a performance difference. The tires are consumable, the wheels you will have as long as you own the car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xCuPWfkALJxhCysVSnJbTEkJRyNsaKx9pM3qIPTJNlg6GB22ulkFW9IqGPAQx3pg