1 2 3
kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/2/12 3:48 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: A fan club of ONE.

As much as I love GRM, there's a bunch of people here who like cars that look like this:

So I don't feel too tasteless!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/2/12 3:56 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
kreb wrote:
I love the concept, but I think the sides and rear need some work as it's WAY too much BMW for me.
So people will think you're running around in some sort of BMW prototype? I'm OK with that. By the way, I think that Bangle's a genius.
A fan club of ONE.

Oh there's plenty more than one. It appears that the designers at Hyundai are big Bangle fans, as all of their new cars have "flame surfacing" that Bangle introduced. Actually, an argument could be made that Chris Bangle is the most influential automotive designer of the last 30 years. Everyone bitched about his designs (me included), but then everyone copied them.

Karlo
Karlo New Reader
7/29/12 3:42 p.m.

Check out the first shake down at the AutoX

http://youtu.be/Tn2Qv3fhhjE

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
7/29/12 3:50 p.m.

In reply to kreb:

Hey Bub, that's enough dissing Granadas. I had one of those and let me tell you....................well, never mind.

Winston
Winston Reader
7/29/12 4:30 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Actually, an argument could be made that Chris Bangle is the most influential automotive designer of the last 30 years. Everyone bitched about his designs (me included), but then everyone copied them.

My problem with Bangle is that he took one of the most beautifully-designed roadsters of all time (Z3) and made it look like crap (Z4). I don't mind his other cars so much; they have grown on me. I still can't stand the Z4. I agree with you regarding his influence on the industry. I will never forgive him for the Z4, though.

On topic:

I think the car looks a little "thick" between the front wheels and the cockpit... like it has a monster V8 in there instead of a BP (and not in a good way). I think that could be remedied by tying the beltline crease into the top of the rear fender instead of having it dive down toward the rear wheel.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
7/29/12 8:53 p.m.

Someone had a similar vehicle this year at MATG. All the skin peeled off a miata and some roll bar tubing added. Very interesting concept but you either wear a full-face helmet or look like the guy on Speed driving the Atom.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
7/29/12 9:00 p.m.

Looks awesome, love the design.

Big thumbs up.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/29/12 9:06 p.m.
kreb wrote:
carguy123 wrote: A fan club of ONE.
As much as I love GRM, there's a bunch of people here who like cars that look like this:

Yes, and that's a good thing.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
7/29/12 10:40 p.m.

Reminds me of a snub nosed mach 6. It looks pretty sharp to me, but I am not your target customer, I don't drive roadsters/spiders/speedsters ect, if I want to be in the wind I switch to 2 wheels.

Kram
Kram New Reader
7/31/12 4:24 a.m.

I think I threw up a little, I have the same response whenever I see a Z4.

In fact this looks like a reject along the way when BMW were on drugs styling the Z4.

And you guys thought the German's didn't have a sense of humour...!

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/31/12 5:22 a.m.

Hmmm... Catfish is a good name for that. And it does look interesting... I must have missed it here in the discussion. What is the price point?

kreb
7/31/12 10:19 a.m.
Karlo wrote: Check out the first shake down at the AutoX http://youtu.be/Tn2Qv3fhhjE

Looks like it corners very flat, but the steering could be tighter. This is a very promising car.

Drifting back off topic - I think that the Z4 is one of the prettiest designs of recent years. I find most non-Bangle BMW designs tasteful but dull - in other words, German.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
7/31/12 11:17 a.m.

KARLO!!!!!! Hey brother, how are ya?! Long time no talk!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/31/12 11:51 a.m.

Add me to the Bangle fan club. With the right wheels, a Z4 can look amazing. He was definitely ahead of his time, I think a lot of his designs will age well...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
7/31/12 12:46 p.m.
Keith wrote: I like it. The upper scallop in the door does look a lot like the Z4 where it arcs back towards the rear wheels, but that may not be too noticeable in the real car versus the rendering. A couple of other views might have been good - and we'll see how the real thing ends up, because little details like those custom headlights can be cripplingly expensive in a low-volume car. Much better looking than the Exocet. There have been a growing number of concepts that take all the best stuff from a Miata and put it in a new frame and body. I welcome them all!

Why the hate on the Exocet? I think it looks way cool. Much much MUCH better looking than the average 'Exo' car like the Atom etc

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
7/31/12 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

You must have unusually thick glasses...

My opinion of course. You're entitled to like it.

kreb
7/31/12 2:48 p.m.

The problem IMO about these kits that use the stock driveline/backbone/suspension is that they miss the opportunity to move the engine backwards, which adversely effects weight distribution. So for the ease of build and the comfort of knowing that you have the factory config, you comprimise on ultimate perfromance. There are other items as well, but those are the big ones. That said, the weight reduction and increased cool factor is still worth it.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/31/12 3:43 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: You must have unusually thick glasses... My opinion of course. You're entitled to like it.

I agree. In an earlier thread I described the exocet as an answer to the following question

What would happen if a Rubenesque locost and a Zaftig Atom got drunk at a party?

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/2/12 11:22 a.m.

Conceptually, I love the idea, although I'm not a big fan of the nose on the body design. Sun Coast Race Cars makes a nice EARLY model Corvette body that would probably look pretty nice on a similar chassis...

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
8/2/12 11:43 a.m.

Not sure I care for the body, I'd prefer a real cat fish.

But regardless, I am sure it is an awesome machine! However, MY money would be going towards an Ariel Atom...

Kram
Kram New Reader
8/5/12 7:57 a.m.
Everyone bitched about his designs (me included), but then everyone copied them.

Who? Who has copied them? I notice his designs are improving to bareable but it's taken 10 years to get to passable - and I was a fan of E38/39's etc.

MY money would be going towards an Ariel Atom...

Hope you got a lot of it then I'm guessing this styling reject will at least be within reach for a lot of people unlike the Atom?

Karlo
Karlo New Reader
8/17/12 8:42 a.m.

Here is the website for more detailed information

http://bauerltd.com/

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
8/17/12 9:53 a.m.

In reply to Karlo:

Interesting to see how the frame would 'drop right on the donor' but I'm a little concerned about the lack of transverse bracing under the passenger compartment. Were the builders counting on a transmussion tunnel box to supply that strength?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
8/17/12 9:57 a.m.
Winston wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: Actually, an argument could be made that Chris Bangle is the most influential automotive designer of the last 30 years. Everyone bitched about his designs (me included), but then everyone copied them.
My problem with Bangle is that he took one of the most beautifully-designed roadsters of all time (Z3) and made it look like crap (Z4).

He was also responsible for one of the prettiest BMWs of all time. I hate most of what he did to the product line but I guess if you want to win big once you have to take risks all the time.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/12 10:11 a.m.

Exterior looks like a compilation of Chris Bangle's worst ideas, but with all-new bodywork it could be a totally awesome car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EhwVwAI2HqmXd5wBHByqPFR6VAPRnWHxn2j5p5hNXnvHVTsJmka3mblMDHWqTvUJ