1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/18 1:44 p.m.

What would be really interesting would be where the time comes from. The modified cars will kill the ND2 on the straights, but the ND chassis generates a LOT of grip.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/28/18 1:55 p.m.

We want to delve pretty deep into the work that's been performed, the alignment specs, even a bit about the builder/ owner. Try to explore the experience, the lifestyle of what we're all so passionate about. We want to see what's an effective mod, what's just window dressing, help educate people so they're getting their desired outcomes for minimal investment. I'm really excited about the channel. I hope you all are too! 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/28/18 1:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

What would be really interesting would be where the time comes from. The modified cars will kill the ND2 on the straights, but the ND chassis generates a LOT of grip.

The vbox data should provide some insight there. :)

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/28/18 2:09 p.m.
Carbon said:

In reply to NOHOME :

We're constantly going to add to the database. That's the great thing, we're doing the same track configuration and doing the same telemetry on every car we test from hybrid nsx to gt350r to stock miata. We'll have a running list of all the lap times and other vbox data. We want to document that grassroots tuning can compete with high dollar oem sports/super cars not just in performance but in terms of driving experience as well. 

Guarantee it would not be the fastest Miata V8 conversion around the track, but it would stand out in the crowd. For me,both the data and the feedback from those that speak the language would be a good tool for sorting the suspension.

Pete

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/28/18 2:16 p.m.

The thing we're looking for is not just the fastest car,  we're weighing all the aspects of each experience and at the end there really will be no winners and losers, just knowledge and a celebration of what makes the hobby so awesome. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/18 2:43 p.m.

You may not be looking for the fastest car, but as soon as you bolt on timing equipment that's what it's about. Just the way people think, nuance loses to a single number.

Unfortunately, the NC V8 we built will not be coming to the party.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/28/18 6:39 p.m.

We can point out the nuance and positive points and each decide our favorite. The lap time is merely an aspect to the testing. It's important in it's own way but it's not the be all and end all. We already have our individual preferences, I like the sound of the lfx, I like the power delivery and turbo noises of the fm turbo car, I like the suede and style of quinn's. There area lot of different ways to build a kickass miata. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/28/18 9:07 p.m.

I have a 94 (mostly) spec miata, as long as there's not a db limit.  It's technically not spec due to slotted/drilled rotors, a passenger seat & harness installed and it's currently sporting a magnaflow cat so I can have a plate on it. I know it's less than 97 db (limit at Palmer), but I've seen LMP have limits of something like 90 db on some days.

Other than that, all spec bilstiens, engine, etc. Are you interested in that?  I'm about 1.2 hours East of LMP.

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/29/18 7:46 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

I have a 94 (mostly) spec miata, as long as there's not a db limit.  It's technically not spec due to slotted/drilled rotors, a passenger seat & harness installed and it's currently sporting a magnaflow cat so I can have a plate on it. I know it's less than 97 db (limit at Palmer), but I've seen LMP have limits of something like 90 db on some days.

Other than that, all spec bilstiens, engine, etc. Are you interested in that?  I'm about 1.2 hours East of LMP.

Oooh, yeah, thats a good question. Because at the SCCA Champ Tour, with the baffle installed in my tailpipe, I still blasted a 96.5db

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/29/18 9:24 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Sounds great! Don't worry about sound. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/30/18 6:52 p.m.

Anyone been watching the channel? Any feedback?

_
_ Reader
8/30/18 10:17 p.m.

So if you get to “try” all of these miatas, does that make it a “casting couch”, instead of a casting call? 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/31/18 2:29 p.m.

Classy. 

_
_ Reader
8/31/18 5:57 p.m.
Carbon said:

Classy. 

Sir, i apologize. I was conceived in the back of a ‘78 el camino, birthed in a ‘82 dodge, and raised in a single wide trailer. While those are not excuses, they are the reasons I am the way I am. I will try my best to remember to keep things more cultured around here. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
9/1/18 7:58 a.m.
_ said:
Carbon said:

Classy. 

Sir, i apologize. I was conceived in the back of a ‘78 el camino, birthed in a ‘82 dodge, and raised in a single wide trailer. While those are not excuses, they are the reasons I am the way I am. I will try my best to remember to keep things more cultured around here. 

Don't take that wrong, I'm not the slightest bit offended, I thought it was funny. I was just busting your bawllz :-p 

As far as doing driving impressions on track, it was the logical, responsible choice. We did driving impressions on the street for a long time and we were concerned and frustrated by many factors there. There are too many variables out there to be able to focus on the cars and not the legalities, and safety concerns. The point of these tests is not only to collect data, its to try and connect with the soul of the vehicle. There are no winners and losers, no trophies, just a study of the cars in as nuanced a fashion as possible in the time that we have to test them. Part 1 of this test is in the can, and I can tell you that the fastest car so far is not my favorite driveline configuration, nor is my favorite Quinn's favorite. I cant wait to get to know all these cars a bit and explore the intricacies of how so many different options people building cars have at their disposal. It's a celebration of the platform as well as the lifestyle, it's a resource for someone trying to decide how to build Their ultimate answer, not a pissing content. 

Now picture me as a hologram princess projected from a droid. 

We need an ls swapped car, and time is running short, we have a diverse lineup of cars, but that is a glaring omission, please help. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/1/18 4:03 p.m.

Took today to go to the shop and get my car in fighting trim. Replaced the speedometer cable that broke about 2 months ago and I haven't had time to replace, changed the oil, swapped out the stock-style front pads (for co-drivers, to keep from locking up brakes, but got viciously overheated last week) for Porterfields again, threw in some Whiteline offset upper bushings (my co-driver last week said I needed more camber) and set the alignment to "kill" now that I could get above -2.5 degrees of camber.

Then went to Taco Bell, encountered some enthusiastic young kids (driving a new WRX, a new Civic Si and an ACVW-based buggy) and got talking to them and one of them mentioned that I had the same rollbar as Tommy Fyeah and I went "Well, funny you mention him..."

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
9/1/18 9:26 p.m.

Awesome 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
9/3/18 4:51 p.m.

We have a problem, Limerock has some sort of problem and has closed unexpectedly for tomorrow. The manager is looking into when we can move the test date to, he says maybe Friday. Pretty unprofessional, but we're at their mercy. Sorry, I'll update you as soon as information becomes available

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
9/3/18 5:04 p.m.

On a brighter note, it's looking like Adam LZ as well as Tommy F-Yeah should be joining us, so whenever it happens, it's gonna be a party.

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/4/18 5:24 a.m.

Glad I checked this before heading out this morning. That would have been disappointing. I'll have to see if I can get my vacation day refunded and swapped around.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
9/5/18 10:33 a.m.

Alright, just heard from Limerock park. New shoot date is the 13th hopefully everyone can make it! I'll send pm to everybody too. Thanks! 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lmi3zRdZuMIQ11pcDkwd46RWnglNLljhh0MTqAfBwFZGLqDAFMqMiJHIGo7rvOrw