1 2
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/10 1:57 p.m.

I remember that because I did the photoshop. zx/2 is much bigger, I had to resize the top to make it fit the Miata.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/10 3:22 p.m.

That gray S2000 would put me in some serious debt....

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
2/23/10 6:36 p.m.

I personally prefer the MGB GT's shape. It would look good on a miata as well.

Andrew

BlackHatContracting
BlackHatContracting Reader
2/23/10 6:45 p.m.

Someone just posted one from CL on the $2010 listings recently.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/10 6:58 p.m.

It's too bad these guys don't make something for Miatas:

Woody
2/23/10 7:21 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to Woody: Doesn't Porsche make one and call it the Cayman?

Yeah, but you can't add it to your $9k Boxster and get out the door for less than $12k.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
2/23/10 7:45 p.m.

That's a freaking cool Boxster lid. Who makes that?

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun New Reader
2/23/10 9:40 p.m.
Keith wrote: But the red car above (the one posted by Paul) was an actual Japan-only production car. So not only was it pretty (I prefer the NA show car myself) and rare, but it's JDM-only! WOoo!

Woooow, hold on Keith alot more info if you have it! What years, where to find more info, prices, etc... Was it produced in any numbers, or a limited production run?

I think I have a new possibly realistic dream car Thanks Paul

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
2/23/10 9:58 p.m.
nderwater wrote: That's a freaking cool Boxster lid. Who makes that?

http://zeintec.com/products

3Door4G
3Door4G New Reader
2/23/10 10:03 p.m.

This Miata belongs to the owner of Autokonexion. A little showy but I love it.

Here's the link.

Keith
2/23/10 10:28 p.m.
paulmpetrun wrote:
Keith wrote: But the red car above (the one posted by Paul) was an actual Japan-only production car. So not only was it pretty (I prefer the NA show car myself) and rare, but it's JDM-only! WOoo!
Woooow, hold on Keith alot more info if you have it! What years, where to find more info, prices, etc... Was it produced in any numbers, or a limited production run? I think I have a new possibly realistic dream car Thanks Paul

I don't have many details because it's not one of my dream cars :) But it was around 2003, and they were fairly limited production. Three digits, not four. Japan only.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
2/24/10 9:18 a.m.

Yummy:

Ian F
Ian F Dork
2/24/10 2:05 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
nderwater wrote: That's a freaking cool Boxster lid. Who makes that?
http://zeintec.com/products

That's neat. My g/f actually likes the Cayman... but not so much the Boxter ... but loves her Spitfire... (yeah, it makes my brain hurt too...)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/10 2:19 p.m.

the boxster is slightly ungainy looking... it is not as pretty as it could be. The Cayman, as your g/f knows.. is just drop dead beautiful. It's what the Boxster should have been the whole time (the boxster needs a better name too)

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
2/24/10 2:25 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

The Cayman would be the uber-Porsche if the company could get over the rear-engined-is-supreme hang-up.

RossD
RossD Dork
2/24/10 3:09 p.m.

Cheap Boxster + that top + crazy engine swap = Bacon filled Bacon wrapped with more Bacon.

Gotsol
Gotsol New Reader
2/24/10 3:10 p.m.

I saw one of those miata's with a hardtop the other day on a street.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/10 4:21 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: In reply to mad_machine: The Cayman would be the uber-Porsche if the company could get over the rear-engined-is-supreme hang-up.

Not sure it is so much porsche, or the people that buy porsches. I know a few people who had boxsters and then traded them in on 911s (996s) and they all said the same thing. They wanted the whole porsche "experience"

as long as the public wants the 911 to be the uber porsche.. it will remain so.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
2/24/10 4:34 p.m.

I've always loved what the Porsche "purists" call "not real Porsches." 914s, 924s, 944s, Boxsters and Caymans. I love the 911, especially the 993, but there's something about ruffling their feathers with a Cayman that can outrun a more expensive 911. I can't wait until they start dropping in price even further.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/10 4:42 p.m.
they all said the same thing. They wanted the whole porsche "experience"

In other words: They wanted the snob appeal. Seriously. If you were given $61,500 (The Cayman S MSRP) with the stipulation that it had to be spent on a new Porsche. On a purely performance basis could you make a case for any other choice?

Keith
2/24/10 6:52 p.m.

I was at a track day with Automobile Magazine a couple of years back. They had a range of tasty cars to play with - I showed that I have iron self control by standing beside an Exige S with the keys in it, and NOT blasting off over the horizon.

Anyhow, near the end of the day the skies opened. The writers took both the Boxter/Cayman (can't remember which it was) out back to back with the 911. In the wet, they said, you could really see where the money went in the 911. It was much better. That could have simply been the PASM (did I get that right?) setup in the two cars.

Alas, I was not able to confirm this for myself. My choice of Porsches would come down to a 911 GT3 RS (because that's how my mind works) or a Cayman S. Not that I've ever driven any of them.

Woody
2/24/10 7:06 p.m.

I'd take a Cayman S over just about any 911.

And I own a 911.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/10 7:31 p.m.

I owned a 72 911... evil evil car. I also owned a 74 914 1.8.. also an evil car, but for totally different (and more benign ways that do not involve going backwards through a hedge) I too would take a 951 or a Cayman S over another 911

nderwater
nderwater Reader
2/24/10 10:20 p.m.

The 996 is one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever driven - I'd buy one in a heart beat if I could justify the purchase with my wife. I'd really like to drive a late-model 911 back to back with a Cayman S to see how they stack up.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZIdKoTc2FnH2URRyWEEP4Q7m1F366hEgbML9ZMwOkXRF4zVgwmkQbgyXSQ1ODs0o