peter
peter HalfDork
10/16/12 10:17 p.m.

It's just a shock, not a strut, it has no function other than damping. Your problem lies elsewhere...

Ninja edit: yes, your shock does need to pivot to some degree (haha) on that bolt, but that happens as the suspension goes up and down, not as the wheels turn left/right

peter
peter HalfDork
10/17/12 7:48 a.m.

Seems unlikely, but have you disconnected the rack from the front spindles and tried to turn the steering wheel? I know you've got a completely different rack in there, but maybe some part of the steering shaft is binding up or something.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/17/12 7:57 a.m.

^Check this. I've had worn balljoints and the steering wasn't any heavier.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/12 10:02 a.m.

Good ball joints are going to feel stiff, not floppy. In this case, I'd start by elimination. Disconnect everything, make sure there's no friction or stiction in the column. Then hook up the rack. Make sure the uprights turn easily. Then attach one tie rod to the upright and check the steering feel. Then the other tie rod.

Keith Tanner
10/18/12 11:08 a.m.

The biggest clue I've noticed is random clunks, especially under braking.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
10/18/12 11:22 a.m.

you also may have a sh*t ton of caster, check the alignment.

Keith Tanner
10/19/12 9:53 a.m.

Of course! Everyone else does

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
10/19/12 9:56 a.m.
Kendall_Jones wrote: you also may have a sh*t ton of negative caster, check the alignment.

fixed it.

Keith Tanner
10/19/12 10:08 a.m.

I wouldn't expect caster effects to manifest themselves at rest. And it would be positive caster.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
10/19/12 10:12 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I wouldn't expect caster effects to manifest themselves at rest. And it would be positive caster.

Those cars are similar to the RX7s in terms of caster, very high positive caster which makes for easier turning effort.

But you're right, I doubt you would notice that issue at rest

Keith Tanner
10/19/12 10:31 a.m.

I'm not sure I'm going to agree with you that lots of positive caster means easier turning effort. It typically means more stability and a heavier wheel effort. And Miatas typically run between 4-6 degrees, which isn't atypical.

Negative caster isn't very friendly to drive. The wheels want to do anything but go straight. I was experimenting with different upper control arms on my Locost years ago and ended up with almost no caster, it was a hairy little thing to deal with in that situation.

Keith Tanner
10/19/12 1:56 p.m.

Nope. Miatas don't have struts, so the top of the shock doesn't turn with the wheel.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SZkdtz5Z0j0Hqu7UTWNfiaMsZEbM4r4YL1T8en5g91PrCp8NvGG25UwUO0OuHHrT