Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/9/20 8:48 p.m.

At GRM, we always say that Miata is the answer to every question. A few months ago, both my kids (you know them... Tom and Katie) were building low buck, off-road vehicles for the upcoming Gambler Rally here in Florida. In an effort to do something with my kids, I decided to join in the fun. 

So, in trying to figure out the best way to build a quick, fun, cool, low-buck off-road vehicle, I decided to pick up this Mazdaspeed Miata from my buddy Wes at Treasure Coast Miata for $3000.

As always, I couldn’t leave well enough alone, and my buddy and co-driver Steve Sanguinetti and I added a winch, off-road spare tire and for some reason zebra stripes. Maybe it dates back to Dactari, the TV show, but I always wanted to have something with zebra stripes. 

So all in, we are at about $4000 and have a Paco Motorsports 3" lift kid, authentic Mazdaspeed Miata (minus the turbo drivetrain, which Wes, a Miata scrapper, sold separately. The car does have a VVT/six speed drivetrain though.

One of the silliest things we have ever built, but I like it (a lot). it drives as if Miatas were built by Jeep. And yes, it will go pretty much anywhere.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/20 8:53 p.m.

You are giving me some very bad ideas. That is one cool looking Miata

Looking forward to seeing it in pictures in deep enough water to make the snorkel a necessity. laugh

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/9/20 9:04 p.m.

We took it out to a kind of motorcycle bowl a few weeks ago. It is pretty much unstoppable. You know the old comedy line, you might be a redneck if... you jacked up your Miata and put zebra stripes on it.

Props to Rusty at Side Effects for hooking a brother up with sheets of zebra stripes for me to install myself.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/20 9:06 p.m.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/9/20 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Oh yeah!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/20 9:31 p.m.
racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
6/10/20 10:56 a.m.

Now that is awesome!  Love the stripes!

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/10/20 11:02 a.m.

Is this for rock crawling type of work, or rally cross type of work?  I have to admit to "not getting it" -- though it does look like it would be a supremely useful tool for this thing we get around here called "winter".  I wonder if you could attach an ATV plow?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
6/10/20 4:29 p.m.

Picture of side view please.

In reply to ZOO (Forum Supporter) :

This is for Gambler Rally type of work. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler_500

stroker
stroker UberDork
6/10/20 6:58 p.m.

Needs moar "Rat Patrol"....  :)

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/10/20 8:53 p.m.

I feel like if you're using that snorkel to even a third of it's depth capability, you're gonna have other problems :D

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/11/20 7:02 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

I feel like if you're using that snorkel to even a third of it's depth capability, you're gonna have other problems :D

Like breathing? 

In reply to Tim Suddard :

That thing makes me happy.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/13/20 5:33 p.m.

Just saying...

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/13/20 5:39 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I feel like knowing such a thing exists is going to send me down a very strange path to hell.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/20 5:54 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

I feel like a Miata half-track has the potential to displace the Toyota Hilux among insurgents around the world. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/13/20 6:47 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Amiafa? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F3etj5GP5sfHFQ6XCaptQMuS7e4j7rT8adjWs1gfiHlvWE7BmsPElcuwGY7c9OKI