Dana
Dana New Reader
9/2/08 8:43 p.m.

Yeah I know, another rotray Spitfire blah, blah, blah. I feel like Forrest Gump, "I had to go to the White House, again, meet the president, again". But since I haven't figured out to blog yet this is the only world wide soap box I have.

Back around April I picked up the Spit from a fellow in the Jacksonville area who had given up on putting a stick axle under the it. I also grabbed all the bits, pieces, parts etc from Jensenman's Opel project including the rotary, the narrowed miata sub-frame and diff, miata uprights and tons of other cool things.

Dennis (Gundy) and I bolted the whole Spit chassis to a table and so far I've fit the rear sub-frame and finished fabricating the front LCA's to attach the Miata ball joints to. I'm working on the UCA's now and with luck we can start fitting the body and mount the motor in the next few weeks.

All I have left to do is finish the whole suspension, mount the body, figure out how to run and light a British Spitfire with a Japanese RX-7 wire harness, run brake lines, design a cooling system, figure out how to steer the thing. Why I feel like I almost done.

Dana

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/2/08 9:28 p.m.

Only about 10 more years to go and you will have one of the baddest storage benches around!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
9/2/08 10:05 p.m.

This project looks familiar...

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/2/08 11:05 p.m.

Well now that I've read the post it makes sense, but from the title I was wondering why Mazda had the power to suspend production of any model of a Spitfire.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/3/08 7:03 a.m.

Glad to see all the goodies are being properly cared for! Hey, do you still have the rear axle etc from the original stick axle conversion setup? Might need that for my newest project.

Dana
Dana New Reader
9/4/08 9:30 p.m.

I guess I'm making more progress than it looks like, but most of it has been in planning, measuring, cutting, re-measuring and having to cut again. Seems like no matter how many times I cut something it never gets long enough. I've also got some sub-assemblies like the master cylinders finished and boxed away.

Mike I'll get with you off line about the axle, besides I may have some additional questions for you about setup.

Dana

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bE0FWYot5xQc4aQxQzBAiEmJ0jdvNr6hnmphkcDdlvaO9F9w7Yapo8per3gis8gn