Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/1/13 2:24 a.m.

2400 miles into my trip, i've noticed that my passenger rear tire is on the wear bars, seems like it's mostly in the middle at this point. Will check pressures before leaving on next leg (may be an alignment issue, hard to tell how inside is worn due to tread pattern) but....

How to rotate to make this as inconsequential as possible? The two front tires are still in damn near brand new condition, and the other rear has a good 60-70% life left. I figure i'm due for a rotation either way. Just do a front/back, or do i have to sack up and pay someone to corner swap tires on wheels?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/1/13 6:33 a.m.

Do a front/back and stop doing smokey burnouts.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
7/1/13 11:28 a.m.

I have the same issue with my 99 w/open diff.

Although it might have something to do with the rapid starts and hard corning.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/1/13 11:48 a.m.

It's an MSM, so.... Torsen car.

I guess i'll just do a front/back in a couple days when i get back into the States then re-evaluate later. I'm more mad because i have someone back home that was going to buy these boat anchors with tires, and now it seems like i have a tire that doesn't have much life.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
7/1/13 12:27 p.m.

Weird. And dont the MSMs have a Bosch diff, not a torsen? Same basic working principals but different manufacturer.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/1/13 12:36 p.m.

I dunno, probably.

The point is that it's not an open diff.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
7/1/13 12:38 p.m.

This wear seems to make no sense. Since its middle wear its probably not an alignment issue. Its not rubbing on anything is it?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/1/13 12:40 p.m.

It may not be just middle wear. I was in a hurry when i noticed it, i'll have to take a closer look at it when i get a chance today. It's hard to tell if it carries to the inside because of the tread pattern of the tire. (Parada Spec 2)

It's not rubbing on anything. It may be something as simple as being overinflated and taking more weight than the other tires in the form of 2500 miles in the right hand lane in the last week.

I'm mostly wondering if a front/back swap is ok or if i have to pony up to corner swap.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/4/13 3:36 a.m.

Definitely an alignment issue. Checked it this morning and found feathering. Dammit.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/4/13 7:53 a.m.

That tells me you run autox-like pressures on the street and even the wear out by driving the car hard in the corners. It's OK, I do the same thing.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/4/13 12:25 p.m.

Heh, that doesn't help me much with the 7000 miles of highway driving I'm in the middle of.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/9/13 2:54 p.m.

Getting an alignment to FM specs at the moment... will see if any improvement is seen.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
meHYD7EPfKnBsQ4M9r7wxYH8g00l3Td6eUwf42Fz7oZPotkcRGAK6iZz9rD6sgWz