1 2 3 4 5
Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
12/2/21 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I'm guessing even the Volvo SI6 (Short I6) might still be too long... Perhaps a VR6 would be an acceptable alternative?

Rigante
Rigante Reader
12/2/21 2:24 p.m.

looks great so far,  considering all of the conflicting form caused by keeping the stock bonnet, superb

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/2/21 2:24 p.m.

I think there's some weird Kia I6 that sits transverse in it's car. That's gotta be a pretty short crank.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
12/2/21 2:30 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

You're probably thinking Daewoo, sold here as the Suzuki Verona. The Volvo SI6 is also used transverse.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/2/21 2:38 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
APEowner said:

Man! Someone needs to take this over and finish it.  Preferably with a V8 swap.

With that look, I'm thinking straight six. Who builds a compact straight six that isn't a mile long?

At that point why not v12? Maybe a jag engine?

#noconesgrmchallenge2023

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/21 2:41 p.m.

Yeah, I knew someone would come up with a V12 once I posted that :)

I've seen pictures of the Skyline engine (RB something something, whatever it is) in a Miata and it was a functional, finished car with air filters and everything. I'm taking that as my proof that it can be done without doing anything really goofy. And sorry V6 people, but they don't sound as good or as era appropriate as the straight variety.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/2/21 2:44 p.m.
Driven5 said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

You're probably thinking Daewoo, sold here as the Suzuki Verona. The Volvo SI6 is also used transverse.

That's the one! Thanks for getting there from my completely wrong clue, haha.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/2/21 3:00 p.m.

Volvo claims the SI6 out of the 2007+ S80 is 625mm long:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/5098

That would be just about 24" which seems incredible. Height would be the only question mark if that's true, as 24" is well within the Miata's engine bay dimensions.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/2/21 3:03 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

That engine hangs the accessories in wierd places.  Some are driven off the back of the engine and hung over the transmission others are driven in the MIDDLE of the front side of the engine.  The engine has no pulley in the front of the crankshaft just a plug.  It's very strange.

nocones
12/2/21 3:07 p.m.

Thanks for the reaction everyone.  I know it's not for everybody but its been fun to put it together.  

Apparently I have learned a company called Retrocarstyle has a bumper that has some common features in the UK.  It's different but similar.  

I think it would be really cool to do some kind of build of the car and agree a straight 6 would be a neat way to go.  I think realistically this particular car would have the biggest potential future in LeMons where the only I6 that should be considered is the Jeep 4.0L and just cut the firewall until it fits.  

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/2/21 3:12 p.m.

For Lemons duty, maybe you could just spray the cardboard stuff with resin.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/21 3:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Yeah, I knew someone would come up with a V12 once I posted that :)

I've seen pictures of the Skyline engine (RB something something, whatever it is) in a Miata and it was a functional, finished car with air filters and everything. I'm taking that as my proof that it can be done without doing anything really goofy. And sorry V6 people, but they don't sound as good or as era appropriate as the straight variety.

I'm good with an I6 or a V12 but it was the length that kept me from suggesting that in the first place.  How about an era appropriate V8 like the Rover/Buick?

Keith Tanner
12/2/21 3:42 p.m.
dculberson said:

Volvo claims the SI6 out of the 2007+ S80 is 625mm long:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/media/pressreleases/5098

That would be just about 24" which seems incredible. Height would be the only question mark if that's true, as 24" is well within the Miata's engine bay dimensions.

A 1.8 Miata engine is right about 19" from bellhousing to front pulley. I think we could arrange for another 5" with some creativity. Given similar stroke, I expect height would be in the ballpark unless the intake manifold wraps over top or something. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/21 7:22 p.m.
dculberson said:

For Lemons duty, maybe you could just spray the cardboard stuff with resin.

I wonder how bedliner over cardboard would hold up to on-tract contact?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/2/21 9:22 p.m.

Daewoo XK straight six, designed for transverse installations so it's pretty short.

Keith Tanner
12/3/21 7:04 p.m.

so this little project is popping up all over the Miataverse. Mostly the doors because I think GRM featured it in an email. I don't think many have noticed the nose yet, which to me is the really successful part. I am very much looking forward to seeing it evolve.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/3/21 7:18 p.m.

Agree....the door was amusing......the nose has real potential.

nocones
12/3/21 7:21 p.m.

Lol any links?  I'm always amused when things go "viral".  Now I wish I tried harder on the doors.

Keith Tanner
12/3/21 7:31 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Well, this is the link that keeps getting shared..
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/did-someone-really-put-triumph-tr3-doors-miata-your-projects/

It showed up in the Miata Club Canada facebook group and (I think) the Underground Miata Network. I suspect it's in Miata Club but they're all 12 years old.

I've often fantasized about putting a Toyota 1G-GE straight six into a Miata. It is an eighties 24-valve, 2-liter straight six with a 75mm bore, so I imagine it is fairly compact. Precursor to (and shares many design features with) the 4A-GE, but I think the head flows the other way. One of these with a rack of 6 ITBs and a header would sound so glorious!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/4/21 4:23 a.m.

Nocones, this is awesome. 

Wasn't that Daewoo I6 engineered by Porsche?

Rigante
Rigante Reader
12/7/21 5:15 a.m.

Amazing full 60s coupe bodyshell build -Miata based

this guy takes it to the next level

12/7/21 8:48 a.m.

Yeah, I had to mention the v12. ;)

I am a big fan of inline 6's though. 

12/7/21 8:49 a.m.
nocones said:

LeMons where the only I6 that should be considered is the Jeep 4.0L and just cut the firewall until it fits.  

Yes. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/7/21 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Rigante :

....and our very own Nohome is in that thread. smiley

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yG5ttAcoMrJJGFLVN5YiTc22So7sN4SDfG4XQOhlRY1ADujQ8Ezi3apXiPNXXsLd