Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
3/1/17 3:38 p.m.
feature_image

This was round two for our crapcan Miata, and we weren't about to return to the track with a car that wasn't any faster. There was one question, though: How do we make our car faster? We already had springs, shocks, sway bars, bushings, a limited slip, and sticky tires. There was one department we hadn't addressed, though: The engine. …

Read the rest of the story

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/17 4:02 p.m.

Having just this morning purchased a 16G for my miata, this is extremely relevant to my interests. I'll be following along very closely

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/1/17 4:21 p.m.

Why do you have to have articles like this? My bank account may never be the same

calteg
calteg Dork
3/1/17 4:23 p.m.

In reply to Fitzauto:

It's only $1000! Cut hole in hood + vertical dump pipe = profit

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/1/17 4:28 p.m.

Next go around do the BP swap and visit Carlos and the gang at BP Performance Specialty (in Florida as well) about some of their GRM friendly parts that will play nice with your setup. They have modified EVO intakes to help flow more on the cold side, hacked tunable EVO ecus (though you have that covered) and possibly most beneficial, Toyota coil on plug conversions to assist the ignition at higher RPM and under load. cars with heads from a 99 and the exhaust cam swap are seeing 160HP N/A at the wheels, with boost after fueling, rods become the point of concern, though there are options to resolve that concern for roughly $200, though that entails taking on a much larger project that always ends up costing more as you start checking off boxes (boundary engineering billet oil pump, bearings, machine shop cost etc. for example).

Now you have me wanting to get another miata to BP swap to build a pair of BP powered monsters that happen to power different axles.

captdownshift
3/1/17 4:29 p.m.
RevRico wrote: Having just this morning purchased a 16G for my miata, this is extremely relevant to my interests. I'll be following along very closely

20G billet wheels are a cheap easy upgrade if targeting north of 230HP in a BP.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/1/17 5:09 p.m.

In reply to calteg:

Problem is I want a v8 too. The girlfriend's FB is getting the miata's drivetrain.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/17 5:25 p.m.
captdownshift wrote:
RevRico wrote: Having just this morning purchased a 16G for my miata, this is extremely relevant to my interests. I'll be following along very closely
20G billet wheels are a cheap easy upgrade if targeting north of 230HP in a BP.

I forget is the BP the 1.8?

I just want more out of my 1.6. I may even do a bare bones fuel pressure regulator, manifold, downpipe just to get a little more while saving up for everything else. I'm really not looking forward to doing an ecu swap.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
3/1/17 6:01 p.m.

My short term plan was to put a header and exhaust on my 1.6 miata. Long term plan was to do the monster 5.0. But some dude us trying to talk me into buying his 1.8 engine and turboing it or supercharging it. So now im all mixed up.

captdownshift
3/1/17 6:34 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

Yes it's the 1.8L

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uM4KGxvx7EYcRHDmB3s0G3dJaIyWqv7Z4qVBn1HOH7T6osdxhcva6nGyqKhga1LJ