bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
9/22/14 9:00 p.m.

Started off runing laps in the 1:57-1:59 range and making some silly mistakes, by the end of the day I was passing more than I was passed, I was passing with purpose and intention not just luck, and was running consitent 1:54 lap times. Had my buddy mark come along and organize/run 5 gopro's total, great time!1 and i am not able to apply for my NASA license!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW2y7LTGMac&list=UUlEYBfMQhjObC4eUbmbJMqA

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/14 9:27 p.m.

Can't quite tell if you guys were running the config with the chicane before the keyhole or not.

I had fun playing ther in my car over the Memorial Day weekend.

http://youtu.be/UR6oulSleGU

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/22/14 9:45 p.m.

tried watching but couldn't get passed the silly tom cruise music so I gave up. hope you had fun though. Mid-Ohio is not that far away but they insist on using front wheel drive cars for their school so.... pass.

Cactus
Cactus New Reader
9/22/14 10:04 p.m.

Front wheel drive scares me a lot more than RWD. Looks like a lot of fun though. I'd love to get some seat time in a car that doesn't belong to me.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
9/23/14 5:47 a.m.

IMHO FWD is easier to learn to drive near the limit than RWD … that said, RWD will, in the long run, tend to be faster (all other things being equal)

A) it's designed to understeer (so are modern RWD cars) but it's usually easier to dial the understeer out and get the car to rotate

B) when the rear end steps out ( majority of the time due to a mistake… i.e. lift throttle in a curve, trail braking .. etc) it's much easier to gather back in … only one thing to do … mat the throttle .. with RWD it's a dance between throttle on/off …. modulated

C) when it is understeering on corner exit, simple to correct … ease off throttle as you unwind the steering … with RWD, you're usually then fighting throttle on oversteer

like I said …. in the long run, the problems with RWD are overcomable (made up word ?) and when you do, it is usually faster … but until that point is reached, FWD tends to get the job done with less drama

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/23/14 8:31 a.m.

In reply to plance1:

One of the driving packages you get to lap in S2000's the last I knew, but for the most part you are correct. I was able to do the one day program many years ago using RSX type S's and it was a blast FWD or not. It is hard to beat getting to follow Mr. Byrne around Mid Ohio.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/23/14 10:28 a.m.

All of the "schools" I have run required long pants and long sleeves, windows open.

Club thing ?

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/23/14 11:06 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: In reply to plance1: One of the driving packages you get to lap in S2000's the last I knew, but for the most part you are correct. I was able to do the one day program many years ago using RSX type S's and it was a blast FWD or not. It is hard to beat getting to follow Mr. Byrne around Mid Ohio.

Not sure who Mr. Byrne is... I did see the reference to the S2000 so I know you are correct, I don't think they let you use the S2000 exclusively.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/23/14 12:14 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

I don't disagree with anything you have written here, its just that I try to buy rwd vehicles...now maybe the majority of the public drives fwd cars and thats why Mid-Ohio uses them? I don't know. But the one size fits all mentality (YOU WILL LEARN TO DRIVE THE ACURA'S) doesn't get me reaching for my wallet.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/14 12:49 p.m.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/23/14 12:57 p.m.

In reply to plance1:

This is him:

Tommy Byrne A legend and inspiration for aspiring professional drivers, Tommy is a six-time European champion and made it to the pinnacle of racing in the early 1980s when he raced in Formula One. Tommy is the winningest Indy Lights driver (living) and has raced sports cars, as well as Trans-Am cars. He is also a well-regarded author, known for his autobiography, “Crashed and Byrned.”

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
9/23/14 3:38 p.m.
plance1 wrote: In reply to wbjones: I don't disagree with anything you have written here, its just that I try to buy rwd vehicles...now maybe the majority of the public drives fwd cars and thats why Mid-Ohio uses them? I don't know. But the one size fits all mentality (YOU WILL LEARN TO DRIVE THE ACURA'S) doesn't get me reaching for my wallet.

Honda's at Mid-Ohio … because Honda is a large presence in Ohio … who knows how much money they give Mid-Ohio for the exclusivity of the driving school at the track

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
9/23/14 4:41 p.m.
plance1 wrote: In reply to wbjones: I don't disagree with anything you have written here, its just that I try to buy rwd vehicles...now maybe the majority of the public drives fwd cars and thats why Mid-Ohio uses them? I don't know. But the one size fits all mentality (YOU WILL LEARN TO DRIVE THE ACURA'S) doesn't get me reaching for my wallet.

I think you have to look deeper than you are, how can an instructor teach you if you have a RWD car with cuslon suspension, I have an AWD car with lowering kit, another guy has a fwd car with only sways, un known tires and break wear on each car, using their cars gives the instructor the ability to KNOW the limit of that car and thus understand what you are doing right or wrong at any given point on the track, their school has given me more control in my s2000 and mazdaspeed6, dont count it out man....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6fZsovjCZHKCQFUvzNHXrTO8AVkCEKA6Ho9fiHWShnWY2sATTZiwVOEQYeDyDriK