1 ... 7 8 9
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/17 2:37 p.m.
drdisque said:

TSSCC (Tri-State Sports Car Council) runs a test and tune at Grissom in the Spring. If you bring it down I will go (I usually just go for the points event on Sunday) and you can also get some national trophy winners and champions to drive it and help dial in the suspension.

This is an excellent idea. I still want to bring it to a few events so that anyone who helped build can come drive it.

Robbie
10/31/17 2:43 p.m.

Late in posting this up, but I used the truck for a scrap metal run on sunday. I got rid of the rest of the roof and the shell of the filing cabinet we used metal from. (300lbs ish of metal- and a good portion of that was glass - they gave me $20!)

Cool part was they weighed my truck before and after unloading, so I also got a new 'weight'.

Truck was 3040 with 200lb me (plus removable wood bed deck, spare tire, and a 5 quart jug of oil) in it. So around 2800 lbs if their scales are accurate in that low range (the scale is clearly built for semi-trucks).

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/31/17 4:21 p.m.

Not bad! That is probably a pretty good bit lighter than stock

Robbie
7/30/18 10:44 a.m.

Ok, posting this back up as I'm making official plans to bring this back to the challenge this year. Last hurrah for the saab!

Major Goal: remove 500 lbs from the truck as it sits (hoping to get to 2500 with me in it).

starting with - wood bed floor, tailgate, interior and seats, spare tire well

next - exhaust, sunroof, bumper supports, ac compressor

final - smaller battery, skin doors, dash, turn rotors down to minimum thickness

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/30/18 11:02 a.m.

Go full (Andy) Nelson and swiss cheese everything. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
7/30/18 11:37 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Turning up the booooooost? 

Robbie
7/30/18 12:09 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to Robbie :

Turning up the booooooost? 

From stock, yes. Since I am ditching most of the exhaust I will have a straight dump pipe from turbo out, but I will probably be at the max limit of the td04-15 turbo pretty quickly. I am hoping to be able to run e85, but dropping the weight comes first.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/30/18 6:10 p.m.

This makes me want to bring back the Q"ute". Thanks

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
7/31/18 1:47 a.m.

How have I never seen this thread? Or at least don’t remember it. My dad lives in Homewood and I probably could have lent a hand. Oh well. 

Robbie
7/31/18 8:55 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

How have I never seen this thread? Or at least don’t remember it. My dad lives in Homewood and I probably could have lent a hand. Oh well. 

Come on by anytime! Seriously, I could host a weight reduction party.

Your dad doesn't happen to be the 'saab guy' does he? (If you can believe it, there is a guy in homewood with more cars - all saabs - lying around his property than me). I've met him once but need to go back and spend a bit more time with him.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/31/18 9:09 a.m.
Robbie said:

Your dad doesn't happen to be the 'saab guy' does he? (If you can believe it, there is a guy in homewood with more cars - all saabs - lying around his property than me). I've met him once but need to go back and spend a bit more time with him.

There is a guy near me in Elmhurst that apparently used to be a mechanic at the SAAB dealer. He always has two 9-5 wagons, and I'll see something older on a trailer every once in a while. Last month it was a [real] 900.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
7/31/18 6:49 p.m.
Robbie said:

No my dad is the Corvair guy and has one of the largest garages in Homewood. Too bad he and my stepmom turned into hoarders and the garage is full of Junk right now. 

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H3BS6bba2kCmBEOCbUi353yCS9xxEw2YuI94GvmMAMkUXiQunlK6GjXtQGPw1FCP