1 2 3 ... 5
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/19/18 10:23 a.m.

Coming this spring, inspired by Robbie's epic Saab-ute build weekend, is a chance for all Midwestern/Kentuckian GRM'ers to participate directly in the construction of a ridiculous GRM $2018 Challenge car. Let's face it, Gainesville FL is FAR from here. Far enough that many of us rarely or have never even attended the Challenge. One of my favorite parts of the Challenge, that you have to be present for to fully experience, is the Parking Lot Build behind the hotel. I would like to bring that same feeling camaraderie, innovation, and sheer fun to my garage in southern Indiana and share it with anyone willing to lend a hand.

Actually, I just want a weekend of free labor to jump-start my build! The goal is to take this

and many other parts out of this

and put them all into this

That's right, we're building a $2018 wagon sub-class ringer: a 1980 Datsun 210 Deluxe with the entire drivetrain from a slightly-totaled 2003 Infiniti G35. Essentially a 350Z-powered Datsun, with Nissan's venerable, light-weight 260 hp VQ35 V6 engine, 5-speed "tiptronic" transmission, and IRS. Keeping it all in the family, spanning the company's history from humble Datsun beginnings to Nissan/Infiniti innovative technology. With a long roof. And rust, lots of that.

Reasons to join in the fun:

• Because racewagon!
  • Florida is too far but you still want some $2018 Challenge action
  • Come see the Rice Rod in person
  • Make my neighbors hate me for 72 hours
  • The world needs to know what a wide-body Datsun 210 looks like
  • My pole barn has its own WiFi and sound system...and possibly a TV for whatever race is on that weekend
  • Explore the architectural marvels of Columbus, Indiana ...yawn
  • Learn new skills from fellow GRMers, including welding, bodywork, wiring, and poor decision-making
  • Be a part of GRM Challenge history
  • Or just come drink all my local Indiana craft beer and provide pointed commentary

2.5 day weekend - Friday afternoon through Sunday, sometime in April-ish when it should be warm enough to work comfortably outside, and the Rice Rod should be done enough to move it outside.

Anyone is welcome to stay the whole weekend in my guest room and/or couch, or just show up for a day trip. 

I will provide all food, snacks, coffee, and refreshing adult beverages.

Located in Columbus, Indiana

I would like to know:

• Who is interested?
  • What skills and tools would you bring? I have 4 separate 240V outlets in the barn
  • When is a good weekend? Shooting for late March through April
  • Anyone know a good psychologist?
edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
2/19/18 11:45 a.m.

I'd be down as i live about 7 minutes away from you. Between work trips and my son's bday i'm iffy on most weekends around that timeframe but if i cant make it for this working-weekend-extravaganza i'm sure i can find another time to come lend a hand. The LS 300zx might even be done by then. I dont have many special/helpful tools that you probably dont have but im real good and making wrenches go round-and-round and turning metal to sparks.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
2/19/18 11:50 a.m.

Pending a date and how recovered I am from ankle surgery I'm interested. Looks like it's under 200 miles away. No specialty tools but I'm good at lifting heavy stuff and breaking bolts off.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/18 12:34 p.m.

That G35 have a limited slip?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
2/19/18 12:44 p.m.

This looks like fun!  I do like turning wrenches while hanging out with like minded people doing the same. My special talent is picking things up, putting them down, and fetching tools for people who actually know how to use them.

I'm not exactly close but I've driven farther to dump fuel into an old Civic racecar for Logdog so I'll stay tuned for a date.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/19/18 1:24 p.m.

I may be able to be in.   Rallycross season begins on April 14th, at which point my weekends get sketchy, but before then is much more likely.

I’m a so-so welder and mechanic, but am much better at disconnecting wiring harness connectors  and labeling them, and unbolting hardware, putting it into a bag, and labeling the bag.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/19/18 1:25 p.m.

I'm in, probably will drive the Saab Ute down. Let me get back to you later today for any really bad weekends in April, I think I have something for a wedding I am in this summer but need to look for sure.

I can bring tools such as brute strength and overconfidence.

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
2/19/18 2:47 p.m.

Sounds epic. I'm in.

Just steer clear of Easter weekend, and I should be able to make it.

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/19/18 3:07 p.m.

That's going to be a super busy time for me, but I'll join if I can find a free afternoon or evening.

Max Balchowsky
Max Balchowsky New Reader
2/19/18 7:32 p.m.

Interested. Used to live there while on staff at Tech Center. Can bring tools, air compressor, Sawzall, some mechanical ability, and ability to swear fluently in multiple languages. 

maschinenbau
2/20/18 9:13 a.m.

How does the weekend of April 7th sound to everyone? Easter is the week before.

Stampie - no LSD, but consider me in the market for one. Supposedly they just bolt in.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
2/20/18 9:14 a.m.

I think that one should actually work for me.  Not sure I can do a whole weekend, but should be able to pull off most of a day.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
2/20/18 9:17 a.m.

I'll have to double check with the wife after work but that should be good for me. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/18 9:48 a.m.

any weekend other than 7-8 in april works for me

edit: apparently my browser saved off an old page with fewer posts and I didn't see the recent ones. Unfortunately the 7-8th will not work for me.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
2/20/18 2:14 p.m.

i'd be out for the weekend of the 7th and the 14th, but like i said, I'm close by so i can always help another time

garaithon
garaithon Reader
2/20/18 4:35 p.m.

I am in on the weekend of the 7th. 

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
2/20/18 6:09 p.m.

I can do the 7th.

I can bring sawsall, cut off wheel, grinder, and Hobart 110V Mig. Misc hand tools, an old bed frame for bracket material, and probably some sheet metal recovered from an old gas grill.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/20/18 8:03 p.m.

Color me intrigued. I will try to keep at least part of that weekend open.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/20/18 8:05 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

How does the weekend of April 7th sound to everyone? Easter is the week before.

Stampie - no LSD, but consider me in the market for one. Supposedly they just bolt in.

Are you doing the whole rear subframe?  I'll see what I have around. 

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/20/18 8:21 p.m.

I am SOOO excited about this build I have a 80 210 deluxe wagon sitting at the farm waiting for an egine swap and the 280zx suspension upgrade. 

Its a down the road kind of thing. 

Here is a write up on ths suspension setup. 

Tons of people opt for the 280zx setup in the front. its cheap, you get big brakes and the coilover setup is easy to do. Ratsun forums has good info but most of the guys left on there are total jerks. Hope this helps! 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34171-280zx-struts/

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Racing_Suspension_System#B310 

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
2/21/18 4:56 a.m.

Your idea is awesome and so is the project. Congrats. I hope you get a big turnout.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
2/21/18 6:45 a.m.

Pencil me in, I'll try and keep that Saturday free.

maschinenbau
2/21/18 9:24 a.m.

April 7th is looking good for a lot of people, including some old college friends you may know as the Wreck Racers who brought a 2JZ-powered MG Midget to the Challenge.

Let's plan on April 7th for now. Sorry to those who can't make it, but fear not, my garage is always open to GRMers and I welcome you anytime!

maschinenbau
3/1/18 1:05 p.m.

Putting together an email invite. If you're interested, PM me your email address so I can send you more details!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
3/1/18 2:08 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Putting together an email invite. If you're interested, PM me your email address so I can send you more details!

My GRM account is linked to a yahoo email address, so may not work with PMs.   ohiotim  at   hotmail    is a good one to reach me at.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6mnNtBEa7DLs9gTZ4avxEJR3HL0nPayYnnWgrJ7rqCtQ4jF8vvrPHL9sjhvAYoUr