1 2
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
7/26/17 11:17 a.m.

Story by Tony Sestito

Do you want to rile up some older folks? It’s simple: Just say the word “millennials.” Then back away slowly.

You’ll soon hear that today’s kids are lazy, carry a false sense of entitlement, and listen to crappy music. They are all too dominated by their smartphones, tablets and gaming systems to care about anything else. There have even been reports that today’s twenty-somethings aren’t even interested in driving cars, let alone working on them. While the distrust of a younger generation by their elders may be nothing new, there are always individuals who throw those stereotypes straight out the window. One of those individuals is named Calvin Nelson.

Calvin is a 23-year-old hailing from York, Pennsylvania, who recently graduated from college with a degree in engineering. He is also the owner of a car that, we admit, is not actually a Falcon; instead, it’s a contemporary of the Ford that is also a good 30 years older than he is: a 1963 Studebaker Lark.

This is no stodgy old Stude, either; underneath that midcentury bodywork and gritty patina, it is a modern hotrod.

Ignoring more stereotypically millennial pursuits such as playing video games and shopping for ironic headgear, Calvin was out in the garage cutting, welding and sculpting his Lark into a brutal street/strip machine that would mark his arrival at the Grassroots Motorsports $2016 Challenge as a builder in his own right. There he would not only place fifth overall in the event, but see the car he built post a blistering 11.622-second run in the quarter-mile. Calvin himself would go on to win the Rookie of the Year Award. Not bad for a first build, huh?

Read the rest of the story

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/26/17 2:45 p.m.

Best article ever

bigben
bigben Reader
7/26/17 5:29 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

There's a proud dad.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/26/17 7:35 p.m.
bigben wrote: In reply to wheels777 : There's a proud dad.

YUP!!!!!!!!!!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
7/26/17 8:39 p.m.

Thanks Dad!

Can't wait to show everybody what we have planned for this year!

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
7/26/17 9:50 p.m.

I can not wait to get my butt kicked by you guys.... Congrats guys.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
7/26/17 10:15 p.m.
ckosacranoid wrote: I can not wait to get my butt kicked by you guys.... Congrats guys.

I need you to come back to the challenge this year so I can have a parking lot buddy who brings a case of water (genius).

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/26/17 10:38 p.m.

I saw someone in a restored Lark driving down the street the other day. I always like the body style on those things.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
7/26/17 10:59 p.m.

Cool car, cool family!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
7/27/17 7:25 a.m.
TheV8Kid wrote: Thanks Dad! Can't wait to show everybody what we have planned for this year!

You can do that any time you wish. We're a welcoming lot. No need to torment yourself and risk permanent emotional scarring by holding a secret for another 3 months.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/28/17 7:43 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: ...No need to torment yourself and risk permanent emotional scarring by holding a secret for another 3 months.

You're always welcome to visit. Sharing in person is part of the event.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/28/17 12:04 p.m.

Wish that it really WAS a Falcon.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
7/28/17 1:16 p.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent wrote: Wish that it really WAS a Falcon.

I don't. Studebakers are just ugly enough to love. It would probably be lighter and faster if it was, though.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/28/17 3:54 p.m.

Oh no, you misunderstand. I just LOVE the absurd styling of the later Studebakers, I owned one of the most beautiful ones (a '53 coral red Starliner coupe) back in High School. Me and Studes go WAY back. If I could find '67 coupe in my price range I'd own it immediately and sell off every other project that I have.

The reason that I wished that the car was a Falcon was entirely due to the article title and the numerous Star Wars references in that article. With the play on his being of the millennial generation and calling his car the Millennial Falcon, having it not really BE a Falcon seems pretty silly—and I wish it were otherwise.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/28/17 8:23 p.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent wrote: Oh no, you misunderstand. I just LOVE the absurd styling of the later Studebakers, I owned one of the most beautiful ones (a '53 coral red Starliner coupe) back in High School. Me and Studes go WAY back. If I could find '67 coupe in my price range I'd own it immediately and sell off every other project that I have. The reason that I wished that the car was a Falcon was entirely due to the article title and the numerous Star Wars references in that article. With the play on his being of the millennial generation and calling his car the Millennial Falcon, having it not really BE a Falcon seems pretty silly—and I wish it were otherwise.

The last Stude was made in 1966.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/28/17 8:28 p.m.

Ooooopppsss !

Meant '57.

This one.

http://www.motoexotica.com/listings/images/6473/140387.jpg

Obviously a face lifted '53 body with those fabulous paste-on fins ! ! ! !

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/28/17 8:40 p.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent wrote: Ooooopppsss ! Meant '57. This one. http://www.motoexotica.com/listings/images/6473/140387.jpg Obviously a face lifted '53 body with those fabulous paste-on fins ! ! ! !

I trust you have seen our 54.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
7/28/17 9:15 p.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent wrote: Oh no, you misunderstand. I just LOVE the absurd styling of the later Studebakers, I owned one of the most beautiful ones (a '53 coral red Starliner coupe) back in High School. Me and Studes go WAY back. If I could find '67 coupe in my price range I'd own it immediately and sell off every other project that I have. The reason that I wished that the car was a Falcon was entirely due to the article title and the numerous Star Wars references in that article. With the play on his being of the millennial generation and calling his car the Millennial Falcon, having it not really BE a Falcon seems pretty silly—and I wish it were otherwise.

I get that. I was not trying to come across as offended. I just really like my car.

It was a competitor to the Ford Falcon. A Lark, in the literal sense, is a bird as well. Calling the car a Falcon perhaps is playing up the fact that the mods we did to it made the car more of a predatory bird, like a Falcon.

I loved the article. Tony did an excellent job and really has some talent. I'm a big starwars fan and a Millennial, so it was fitting.

Picture of my dad's (wheels777) '54.

Link to build thread Here

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/29/17 8:06 a.m.
Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
7/29/17 10:13 a.m.

Boy am I glad that Chevy Hatin' Mad Geordie on BangShift isn't anywhere near this place.... being the arsehole he is he'd get ripped a new arse here, that's for damned sure. Congrats on the article either way V8Kid!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
7/29/17 10:58 a.m.
Bill Mesker wrote: Boy am I glad that Chevy Hatin' Mad Geordie on BangShift isn't anywhere near this place.... being the arsehole he is he'd get ripped a new arse here, that's for damned sure. Congrats on the article either way V8Kid!

If I am being honest I was laughing the whole time I was reading his post. It was comical to me. Haters gonna hate.

Thanks for the support.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/29/17 11:40 a.m.

I'm pretty sure that the whole Chevy Haters thing sprang up with the advent of the ubiquitous 350/350 combo. Every hotrod and custom build in the States had a station wagon motor with an Edelbrock dress-up kit on it.

Prior to that we had the wonderful 283 and 327, afterwards there was the magnificent LS series.

I can't imagine a better engine for the Lark than what you have in it, I can understand the boredom/dismissal/animosity towards the belly button 350 though.

Of course, none of what I've mentioned matters at all, I'm aware of this. Just a bunch of words.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
7/29/17 12:04 p.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent wrote: I'm pretty sure that the whole Chevy Haters thing sprang up with the advent of the ubiquitous 350/350 combo. Every hotrod and custom build in the States had a station wagon motor with an Edelbrock dress-up kit on it. Prior to that we had the wonderful 283 and 327, afterwards there was the magnificent LS series. I can't imagine a better engine for the Lark than what you have in it, I can understand the boredom/dismissal/animosity towards the belly button 350 though. Of course, none of what I've mentioned matters at all, I'm aware of this. Just a bunch of words.

Thanks for the support.

Yeah. I can't imagine a better engine for it either. Especially since my mom helped me put it together. Now I might throw a supercharger on it someday, but that's another story.

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
7/29/17 5:00 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Oy haha. Yeah he's about as stupid as they come. But he just won't shut up which I think everybody is just sick of his E36 M3 over there because every post about a Chevy he's there to bitch and moan about it. I can understand if he just did it once maybe people wouldn't jump down his throat but it's just constant with him.... I feel more comfortable here because of him not being here but mostly for the projects that I see.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/31/17 8:18 a.m.

Thanks for the kind words on the article! Calvin's car rules, and everyone should know about it!

On that guy on BangShift...

He loathes anything that has to do with a Chevy. He hates LS swaps, SBC's, BBC's, and everything in between. I'm not sure if he had a traumatic incident with a Chevy motor when he was a child, but he usually is the first to comment on ANY post, and will go insane if it has even the slightest to do with the Bowtie. It's fun to troll him with Chevy content.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
tnZxPrHBumnbCL0q70TKXKfOlbvXQwpK