The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
5/19/20 7:59 a.m.

Sponsored Article Presented by FCP Euro.

“It’s the best car since the Mk2.”

Strong statement, but if anyone can authoritatively comment on the relative goodness of the Mk7 Volkswagen Golf, it’s Nate Vincent, FCP Euro’s Director of Motorsport.

“Around the shop,” he continues, “we have so many techs and office people that have some MQB variant. There’s just …

Read the rest of the story

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
5/19/20 8:22 a.m.

It's not even stuff mentioned in the article but other things like adding the Homelink rear view mirror that literally is a plug in play, then the Audi jack point kit is a plug n play, etc, etc.

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/19/20 10:23 a.m.

This was the best upgrade/$ that I did to my MK7 (outside of tires). 

https://www.badgeskins.com/store/p213/VW_-_MK7%2F7.5_passenger_air_bag_light_badgeskin_overlay.html

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
5/20/20 8:57 a.m.

My Mk6 GTI might have to tun into a MK7 GTI with a DSG if I keep seeing this content and how easy it is to upgrade them. 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
5/20/20 10:12 a.m.
ChrisTropea said:

My Mk6 GTI might have to tun into a MK7 GTI with a DSG if I keep seeing this content and how easy it is to upgrade them. 

Your mk6 is very much the same way, there are quite a few parts bin upgrades available. Golf R or Audi S3 intercoolers, Audi TT control arm bushings, Audi S3 aluminum knuckles, K04 turbos from higher end models, Golf R brakes, Passat aluminum control arms, and if you're just bored I know of people who've installed AWD systems in their GTIs.

The pre-MQB VW/Audi products were all super modular as well.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
5/20/20 11:16 a.m.

The base Macan 4 pot front brake calipers bolt right on too.  Use the Mk6 R 345mm rotors and get a new set of brake lines and you have a completely plug n play OEM+ big brake kit.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
5/20/20 1:04 p.m.
docwyte said:

The base Macan 4 pot front brake calipers bolt right on too.  Use the Mk6 R 345mm rotors and get a new set of brake lines and you have a completely plug n play OEM+ big brake kit.

I hadn't heard that, sounds like a great option that'll get even better after a few more Macan's end up in scrap yards.  I do know that 986 Boxster front calipers work with the stock Mk6 rotors with a carrier adapter.  With almost the exact same internal fluid volume as the stock caliper too.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
5/20/20 4:36 p.m.

In reply to MrFancypants :

Brand new the Macan calipers are $240 each from Sunset Porsche.  At that point I'm not willing to deal with used parts that may need a rebuild, they're cheap enough to just buy them new.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
5/20/20 5:52 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to MrFancypants :

Brand new the Macan calipers are $240 each from Sunset Porsche.  At that point I'm not willing to deal with used parts that may need a rebuild, they're cheap enough to just buy them new.

I got to poking around after that last post and yeah, I'd just buy new. I just assumed that they'd be prohibitively expensive to purchase new because Porsche.

I'm trying to see if these will also fit the Mk6, I'm pretty sure they should, and if they do they're an option for GTIs as old as 2005, possibly older.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fm6nkrJnDUEUwRds7dmJyLYX1YAy08UncJqQNus1jJgDebcZfdxQZTLjvLnRZ9Da