1 ... 10 11 12 13 14
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/2/20 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Jeff Mosing :

It helps to have ready reference material.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/20 11:25 a.m.
Jeff Mosing said:

I'm enjoying looking at all the builds for Round 2, maybe 3rd time will be a charm.  I've got a few projects rolling that I might get motivated to finish up.  Can't wait to see all wrapped up.

Same here. smiley

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/20 11:36 a.m.

In reply to RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) :

That's ambition knock out in two weeks time, I still haven't opened mine yet. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/20 11:44 a.m.
Jeff Mosing said:

Put this one in the WIPs, I've been working on this one for a few months, just posting progress.. it's a 1:1 of my fiance's Bronco.  I've been waiting on a back ordered suspension lift along with the BFG decals.  I should have this one wrapped up in a month or less.

That is nice!  I don't think my entire model car has that much detai!  I know, my own fault.

Scott

noddaz
5/2/20 11:46 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :  No one ever raced a Seven with the spare tyre still strapped on!

Ahh, but that can be left in the parking lot!  

Scott

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/20 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

You really nailed it with that build! The Elky looks great!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/2/20 12:24 p.m.

As soon as the rear wing dries (I have it propped in place with a very Rube Goldberg arrangement) I'll have pictures of the Mustang. It came out better overall than I expected but there are a lot of detail problems if you look at it closely.

Don't get me started on the $9 custom decal sheet I bought on Ebay that I had to touch up with paint after application. sad

5/2/20 12:27 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Most eBay decals are like that frown If it's not Slixx, IndyCals, or Cartograf, then I probably won't buy it.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/2/20 2:43 p.m.

Well, here it is. Despite about half the black around the number circles falling off before the decals hit the car this is my interpretation of what a Bud Moore 1973 Trans-Am Mustang would have looked like.

Good doG that radiator is SO fake! I may fab a 'aluminum' cover to bridge the gap between the header panel and the radiator support like the real cars had. Or I may just put it in the case and never look at it again.

One thing I didn't realize until I put the exhaust pipes on was that they didn't make the mold correct and one side has to have the mold ejection 'holes' exposed.  While the floorpan has nice detail molded in the rest of it is garbage with no detail. What little is there I picked out with paint.

I'll do a video of it in the next few days. The finished product doesn't look terrible; the body shell is pretty nice and it has the best fitting hood of any kit I can remember. Beyond that it is pretty much a POS. I also have gotten painting 2 or 3 tone out of my system for awhile! I did this to experiment with a few things out of my comfort zone so don't feel terrible that it has a lot of flaws (my work) on a kit that is riddled with flaws.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/2/20 3:57 p.m.

Finished mine up so here it is.

Kit was okay, the biggest flaw is that the interior tub is about 4 mm too deep so it forces the floor pan to be 4 mm too low instead of tucking into the body the way it should. That would have made the wheel gaps better and you wouldn't see the edge of the floor pan below the rockers (which you can see on the box as well). I didn't bother with the decals in the end which is fine too.

It was a good first kit back after many years and I'm glad I joined in to do it. Thanks Javelin for getting the ball rolling on these and for everyone that chipped in with advice and encouragement. I've got a Revel Williams FW19 waiting for me when I get the itch again but I'll have to face my fears with the decals on that one.

Adam 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/2/20 4:22 p.m.

The borbet type c are on point!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/2/20 4:37 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Thanks for the warning on the decals, I have a feeling I looked at a set from the same eBay store, they had some obscure circle track cars I was interested in. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/2/20 5:42 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Keen concept. Now do it again with lots more detail, and slick tires. Slicks happened in '72 for road racing pretty much everywhere. I have deliberately stayed well within my comfort zone on these quick builds. One of the reasons I have dozens of kits started up to 35 years ago is venturing out, then they stay on the shelf....

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/2/20 5:49 p.m.

I used to have a box of spare kit parts and tires galore. I must have sold or given them away as I couldn't find any slicks to substitute in there. 

I'm now out of kits except for a Daisy Duke Jeep CJ-5 (that is so wonderfully wrong for "Dukes Of Hazzard" but a nifty Jeep kit...even if it is MPC) that I will probably take a hiatus. Or I may splurge on some sort of pickup truck kit. I've purposely limited myself to only Ford products to keep me from going down the rabbit hole I was in back in the 1990s with a closet full of unbuilt kits. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/2/20 5:53 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I've got a spare Taurus SHO kit I could send over if you're interested. laugh

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/2/20 5:59 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

The Mobius Ford pickups are nice.  

5/2/20 6:11 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ddavidv :

The Mobius Ford pickups are nice.  

All Mobius kits are nice! Completely opposite of those ancient MPC kits.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/2/20 6:30 p.m.

Tomorrow morning when it is past Saturday for all on this board I will count up the entrants and assign each a number. Then I will pull the same percentage of numbers as Javelin did and do a post with the kits on offer. 

noddaz
5/2/20 6:45 p.m.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/20 6:46 p.m.

If nobody has volunteered to lead the next round I'd like to. My Vette will still be incomplete as of this evening and I will still be working on it over the next week anyway. Doors are in process and the windshield and birdcage need to be installed too.

Soooooo.....,

Here's the thing. I'd like to set some guidelines for the next build. What do you think about box stock, no custom parts from the spares collection. You build what's in the box only. And, here's the real twist. You can only choose four paint colors total for the build. You can do fewer, just not more than 4. I have an MPC 77 Ford Econoline custom van to offer up as a prize to the build that strikes my fancy.

What do y'all think? Two weeks beginning tonight at midnight enough time? 

George

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/2/20 6:49 p.m.

Whoah, this really took off since Friday! I completed my Corvette and I'm really happy with the outcome. Not having black paint worked out because I like how the silver looks, and I'm glad I grabbed the Cragar SS wheels from the AMT 1966 Nova kit. 

5/2/20 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Damn that turned out way nicer than the kit really has the detail for! Impressive.

5/2/20 6:57 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

You can totally take it over! I'm okay with box stock, but the four color thing would be a no go from me.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/20 7:08 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

You can totally take it over! I'm okay with box stock, but the four color thing would be a no go from me.

Just a thought I had. Perhaps box stock is challenging enough for most. So I'll start a thread tomorrow for the third installment of Corona two week quick build number three: box stock challenge.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/2/20 7:19 p.m.

The clear isn't as flat as I'd like but I have no more polishing stuff so it's going to have to be good. Me decal paper has gone missing as well so no license plates yet either.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IYJG7qHuNjXsNMmqtSO9xNYxQb6oyfzb23gtM4oZo0HLGNU3oQYGguNShLC00InE