1 2 3 4 ... 14
BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/20/20 5:47 a.m.

I still have to finish my Mazda 767b, but if I do, I'll jump in with an Aoshima NB Miata. Maybe if I don't have to apply a bazillion sponsor decals things will go a little faster. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/20 9:03 a.m.

I just bought three kits on ebay, hopefully I can keep my son interested.  Still have not decided on what to build this time.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/20/20 9:37 a.m.
slowbird said:

Model cars are funny sometimes. Where's the alternator? Oh it's on the chrome sprue. This ain't a Boyd Coddington style hot rod, ain't no chrome alternator going on this car. Where's the front cover for the engine? Chrome sprue, but it says paint it aluminum. Why'd you chrome it then? Oh and this picture of the real car says it's black not aluminum, lol.

Ugh! Major peeve of mine. If you watch my review of the AMT Ford Lightning kit I moan about the chrome tree because NOTHING ON THE REAL TRUCK IS CHROME. Nothing! Not a single part!

EZ-Off oven cleaner to the rescue.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/20/20 9:44 a.m.

Currently on order and supposed to arrive tomorrow:

These are only a partial obomination. The AMT kit is a real turd if you want to build a stock 'aircraft carrier' Mustang. Since neither is particularly good without a lot of parts swapping and custom painting I'm not even going to try. Plus I'm kind of tired of building everything stock-ish (my last 4 all were).

Well, what if Ford had still been doing Trans-Am in 1973 with this body style? After studying photos of earlier cars and seeing what decals were available I elected to go with this as my inspiration:

Yup, there are three separate colors I will need to spray. Not sure if I'm brave or stupid. Guess we'll find out.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/20 9:51 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Oh boy! You've really got me excited for that one!

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/20/20 10:01 a.m.

I'll see if I can get to another model this go around.  Work had picked back up and I think the wife would really like me to finish some of our outdoor projects during this whole stay home phase.  I've got a Subaru WRC to go with the Focus, I'll try to get it at least started.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/20/20 10:08 a.m.

I'm gearing up for my next kit myself. Here's what I have for choices:

Not pictured: a 1978 "Bandit" Trans Am Special Edition, a 1970 Datsun 240Z, and a 1969 Charger R/T. Out of these, I'm leaning toward the 1992 Ford F150 Flareside. I just did a 2nd gen T/A, the Datsun and Dodge kits may be missing parts (got them open at a yard sale for cheap years ago), and that 1980 Mustang kit might be too cool sealed to open (it's actually from 1980!). Plus, my dad had a 1992 F150 Flareside that I miss dearly. His was a Nite truck like this one (no, that's not my dad):

He even had the BFG All-Terrains. Man, I miss that truck. Making the Nite decals happen may be impossible, but I do have some black paint.

4/20/20 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Gotta try that Nite truck! If you can't find decals, I bet making and painting them with color change paint would be close enough.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/20/20 11:04 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Yup, that Lightning kit does look good though. I have one that I keep forgetting about, now I know that I need to check and see if it has the wrong tailgate lol.

The what-if Mustang sounds like it will be awesome. To be honest I know there were some privateer race cars in that body style, but I'm excited to see yours in the factory red and black scheme.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Nice! Those flareside trucks are my favorite 90s bodystyle. I have that kit on the shelf actually, it came out nice except for the paint. I also once attempted to build an extended-cab truck but it was all warped and crooked and then I lost the cab somehow.

I ordered a car and custom decals yesterday...... I may be in for round 3.  I don't think I can finish it in time for round 2, but you never know. 

andyb72
andyb72 New Reader
4/20/20 12:12 p.m.

Will have to go online and order a couple kits.  Will try and join for round 3.  Can't wait to see what models everyone builds for round 2.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/20/20 1:53 p.m.

I am amazed given this boards general inclination that no one has twigged what I am building this time around. I am photographing as I go, and built 2 engines for it last evening. Still not sure which will go in. Day 1 and day 2 pics below.

4/20/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Ro-Spit?!?

Aaron_King
4/20/20 2:19 p.m.

Does anyone know of a 75 ish Pontiac Ventura kit?  That is the first car that I really remember of my parents and thought building one for my dad would be cool.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/20/20 2:38 p.m.

Tony, that F150 kit should basically be the same as the Lightning aside from the flareside bed and the Lightning specific parts. Which is to say it's a pretty nice kit.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/20/20 2:41 p.m.

I built three of those Nite trucks when I was younger. I loved that kit.

I actually opened the cellophane on my kit today; major accomplishment! We will see if I make it further than this.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/20/20 2:50 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

Does anyone know of a 75 ish Pontiac Ventura kit?  That is the first car that I really remember of my parents and thought building one for my dad would be cool.

Good news, they exist. Bad news, they're apparently rare and expensive. sad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MPC-1975-PONTIAC-SPRINT-P16/392756088918?hash=item5b72165056:g:9v0AAOSwNaxej6lB

Here's a built one, but there's already been 7 bids so I don't expect this one to stay cheap. https://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-ORIGINAL-vintage-1976-PONTIAC-VENTURA-SJ-model-KIT-car-9-95-no-reserve/313056163815?hash=item48e399f7e7:g:tacAAOSwdNlemMGI

You might have better luck buying this $40 resin body of the NASCAR version and modifying/adapting it to be a street car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMH-Resins-75-Ventura-Busch-resin-body/202645187048?hash=item2f2e9829e8:g:ob0AAOSw0xxcpi2a

I imagine you'd have to hunt for a while to find the MPC kit at a reasonable price, or get lucky at a yard sale.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/20/20 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Remember clue #1. Who would cover a Spitfire with Bare Metal??? Not me. This is 1/24 scale, and the only kit Spit I know is 1/32.

4/20/20 4:17 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Lotus Seven?!?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/20/20 5:05 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Winner winner,uh, I have pork cooking tonight, and you are too far away for dinner! Body now mostly foiled. Second pic below taken 4 hours ago.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/20 7:13 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

I'm gearing up for my next kit myself. Here's what I have for choices:

Not pictured: a 1978 "Bandit" Trans Am Special Edition, a 1970 Datsun 240Z, and a 1969 Charger R/T. Out of these, I'm leaning toward the 1992 Ford F150 Flareside. I just did a 2nd gen T/A, the Datsun and Dodge kits may be missing parts (got them open at a yard sale for cheap years ago), and that 1980 Mustang kit might be too cool sealed to open (it's actually from 1980!). Plus, my dad had a 1992 F150 Flareside that I miss dearly. His was a Nite truck like this one (no, that's not my dad):

He even had the BFG All-Terrains. Man, I miss that truck. Making the Nite decals happen may be impossible, but I do have some black paint.

If you do the 70 Firebird Scale Auto just did a review and build up in the latest issue. Good advice regarding fitment.

Aaron_King
4/20/20 7:20 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Thanks. I was afraid of something like that.  I will keep an eye out for something, hopefully I can score one cheapish. 

I had seen the built one, I assume that if it was put together with model glue getting it apart would be a bear.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/20/20 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

It depends, sometimes it's almost impossible to get stuff apart and sometimes it just kinda falls apart on its own. lol

I've done a couple teardowns and I just had to accept the fact that I might break or damage some parts and have to repair them. Still worth it in some cases if you get it cheap enough. On the bright side, some parts can just be repainted all together, so you don't necessarily have to tear it all the way down.

Aaron_King
4/20/20 7:49 p.m.

So here are my choices this time around:

The 935 looks to be the easiest to build but the Martini decals will be a pain.  The Trans Am has more to it but the decals won't be as bad and the 928 I just found out does not have the instructions.   After typing all that I think I am going to go with the 935, my first racecar build.

Claff
Claff Reader
4/20/20 10:44 p.m.

Awright I'm in for round two, having missed round one. Haven't built a model since the early '90s.

In a corner of my spare room I found my stash of unbuilt kits. So the first question is which is going to be the victim?

Since this is supposed to be a quick build, and it's been decades, I think I should get back in the game with something simple. This rules out all the NASCAR stuff. The '58 Chevy is a stillborn half-build and I don't think I want to try to pick that up where I left off. Everything else, while out of the plastic, is otherwise untouched. Not having looked at the instructions for any of these in a while, I imagine the El Camino or the '53 Ford shouldn't be too complicated. The '62 Vette should be simple too, but I'm saving that for when I'm better at this and I can do a copy of my dad's car.

Next question: what is the state of my supplies?

This box of "model stuff" hasn't been touched in quite some time, but remained surprisingly easy to find despite disuse and at least two moves. It should have all my paints/glue/knives/sandpaper/etc from when I was last active in this, and I'm assuming none of it is usable today. So I'm going to have to restock.

Here is a look at my glory days, if you can call it that

Everything about this is all wrong. I don't think the El Camino and the Chevelle are the same scale, the trailer is completely inadequate and has no ramps or anything to get the Chevelle on or off, the chassis under the Chevelle was from a Thunderbird Winston Cup car so it has a Ford engine under the hood, and all the stripes and lettering were done by hand and it shows. But it's still the most favorite thing I've built and it's a Christmas miracle everything is still pretty much intact after all these years.

How hard can this be?

1 2 3 4 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
deOjWRKymHl7Z6gDKU6paJBJuUee3mX6Qx9c1SERF9QwrUHsU27bhlG1RVag4l8m