1 2 3 ... 11
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/20 10:11 p.m.

Okay guys and gals here we go. Onto week three. In honor of biting off more than I can chew I've asked to organize the latest build thread. It's the Box Stock Challenge. Basically, you get to work with only the parts that come in the box. No reaching into the spare parts for those cool wheels, fancy steering wheel, or CB radio (seriously, I have one in my stuff!).

You have two weeks once more to get your build on. On the evening of the 16th, after all have submitted their entries, I will pick one lucky (?) builder to receive the following kit:

Just think, you're very own tow rig. Complete with custom graphics and CB whip antenna! And will you look at that, an opera window! Nope, not sketch at all.

Good luck and good builds!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/2/20 11:51 p.m.

It's after midnight, so I'm gonna crack this one open. Still in the plastic wrap!

Fun fact: even though the box says S281, the intake manifold clearly says S351.

Confirmed!

It even has some tiny "S351 Speedster" decals, and the instruction blurb mentions the "351 CID engine" but still refers to it as a S281. Not sure if they didn't understand Saleen's "name it after the engine size" logic, or something else.

Anyway, it's still awesome, and I really wanted one as a kid! Now I'll have one...in a size that fits my budget and storage limitations! laugh (Will I ever build a model kit that isn't a Mustang? Sure. Eventually. In fact, I might try to build two kits at once, just to make sure my work bench continues to be a mess.)

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/3/20 9:14 a.m.

I wish we'd had Round 2 as out of the box. It would have kept me from trying to lower it and screwing up the suspension!angry

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/3/20 2:00 p.m.

Y'know what? I'm feeling ambitious. The stock Cougar wheels are pretty sweet, and it has optional custom wheels too. I'ma try to build two at a time. laugh

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/20 2:08 p.m.

I'm going to take a stab at the BRAT kit. I'm back to work this week so I'm not sure how well I'll do. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/20 2:28 p.m.

I'm going to attempt to fix my 68 AMX model for this. It's the one I started for round 2 and destroyed the paint on.

Here's what happened during round 2.

Johan 1967 release, even has the Gen1 AMC engine. It was a built up but all there and the red is the raw plastic.

After primer:

Paint for the stripes:

Stripes masked by hand:

And then I berked up by spraying lacquer over the enamel and did this:

So I gave up the build for round 2.

The paint was okay on the sides.

But the top was berkeleyed.

Today I decided to channel my inner GalaxyQuest and never give up, never surrender!

And that's where I sit in real time as of this post. I have to wait for the weather to cooperate before attempting primer again. There's supposedly nice black enamel under those stripes...

I think I'm going to have to paint it bright red as that's one of the few enamels I have available at the moment. Oh the irony.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/3/20 8:38 p.m.

Okay, since some of you have multiple builds going on at once (looking at you Javelin) I'm going to try as well. 

One of the few kits I haven't actually stolen anything out of. Might try two tone paint to liven things up though. A shame it's stuck with the ugly wagon wheels.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/20 10:21 p.m.

Okay, primer job number three...

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
5/4/20 12:20 a.m.

Posted this in the week 2 comp thread, but figured I'd update the same here. Made good progress the last few weeks, but definitely didn't get close to wrapping this one up. I'm going to continue this one during this round just get it wrapped up before the next one. The Focus needs a friend, haha!!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/20 8:07 a.m.

Does anyone have recommendations of where to get a decal set for the Wynn's Ford GT?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/20 8:35 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Scale Motorsports makes a set.  I haven't seen them personally yet but everything I've bought from them has been very good. 

https://scalemotorsport.com/collections/decals?page=2

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/4/20 8:36 a.m.

I haven't started yet but I was digging through my kit stash yesterday trying to decide what I want to build. Right now the Revell 64 Fairlane is on the table, but I don't have a 'vision' for it at the moment. It does have some pretty nice Keystone wheels though... 

Aaron_King
5/4/20 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks.  This getting back into model building is getting pricey, especially since before I mostly did Military stuff so nothing had to be too perfect.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
5/4/20 8:49 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

For the Revell GTLM kit? Thar would be an awesome finish for it.  I ordered that kit and the C7 GTLM after these build threads started, and I'm pretty pumped to give those a go.

Aaron_King
5/4/20 9:41 a.m.

In reply to carczar_84 

That's the plan, though I want to get a little more practive before I start it.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
5/4/20 10:21 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

Does anyone have recommendations of where to get a decal set for the Wynn's Ford GT?

Keating's car is on my to-build list.

SpotModel carries a set from DecalCas. I've never used that brand but I saw a build on a model forum and the builder thought they worked pretty well. SpotModel is from Spain, but I usually get my order to the US in a week or so. They also sell Zero Paints Wynn's Purple. That will be my next order from them. Here's the link: LINK

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
5/4/20 10:57 a.m.

In reply to BenB (Forum Supporter) :

Man I wish I didn't click that link! I'm trying to not go down the rabbit hole with these builds, but I don't know if I'll be able to resist.  The Wynn's colors are awesome, and then I saw a decal kit for the Castrol livery they ran last year.....tempting for sure!

There's even a Wynns decal kit for the AMG GT3. Damn you enablers! Hahaha!!!

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/4/20 11:11 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm going to attempt to fix my 68 AMX model for this. It's the one I started for round 2 and destroyed the paint on.

Here's what happened during round 2.

Johan 1967 release, even has the Gen1 AMC engine. It was a built up but all there and the red is the raw plastic.

After primer:

Paint for the stripes:

Stripes masked by hand:

And then I berked up by spraying lacquer over the enamel and did this:

So I gave up the build for round 2.

The paint was okay on the sides.

But the top was berkeleyed.

Today I decided to channel my inner GalaxyQuest and never give up, never surrender!

And that's where I sit in real time as of this post. I have to wait for the weather to cooperate before attempting primer again. There's supposedly nice black enamel under those stripes...

I think I'm going to have to paint it bright red as that's one of the few enamels I have available at the moment. Oh the irony.

Do a "barn find build".  laugh  And if you are careful about putting it together you can take it apart later and strip the paint.

Scott

Can we extend a week?  I'm waiting on amazon to deliver tons of supplies....  I'm afraid I'd only have a week or less to build given the timeframe.  

Or I can wait for round 4.....

BenB (Forum Supporter)
5/4/20 12:31 p.m.
carczar_84 said:

In reply to BenB (Forum Supporter) :

Man I wish I didn't click that link! I'm trying to not go down the rabbit hole with these builds, but I don't know if I'll be able to resist.  The Wynn's colors are awesome, and then I saw a decal kit for the Castrol livery they ran last year.....tempting for sure!

There's even a Wynns decal kit for the AMG GT3. Damn you enablers! Hahaha!!!

Yeah, I have to be careful when I go to that site. Too many cool things.

BTW, Splash Paints in the US also sells their own Wynn's Purple Pearl if you can't get the Zero Paint. I've used both brands and they're pretty much the same. Splash sells a package of all 3 colors plus decals for that AMG GT3: Another link you probably don’t want to click on

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/4/20 12:48 p.m.

It's the Box Stock Challenge. Basically, you get to work with only the parts that come in the box. No reaching into the spare parts for those cool wheels, fancy steering wheel, or CB radio (seriously, I have one in my stuff!).

Ok, got it.  All I need is some time.  

Scott

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/4/20 1:07 p.m.

Let me know if this sounds fun: I'd like to volunteer to host round 4 after this one ends. My theme idea is "engine swaps" and I'd allow for an extra week of build time. And, it would be encouraged but not required, so if you don't want to do an engine swap, you don't have to. Or, you could choose a kit that already has engine swaps as part of it! Like the '40 Ford that comes with an Olds or Buick engine or whatever. There's a bunch of old hot rod kits like that.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/4/20 1:33 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

This sounds like a blast to me! 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/4/20 2:30 p.m.

That AMX kit is looking pretty hopeless. You should send it to me so it won't haunt you anymore. wink

Gunchsta can that Revell Fairlane be built stock? Or at least body stock (no teardrop hood)?

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/4/20 2:35 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the teardrop hood is the only option. It also only comes with one set of tires, which includes a set of slicks for the rear. Oddly enough though you have your choice of transmissions; 4 speed or auto, and 3 choices of wheels (steelies, Keystones, or some kind of Radir-esq 5 spokes). 

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GtblR9a7wiubbtzWMky994cSFWz4FdE1BpmUukRLWL9QlmwV2un2doyVll8Tqxma