vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/6/20 2:05 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Hhrrmmph

Very nice!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
6/6/20 2:07 p.m.

Cyberpunk thread gots me thinking. Want a 70s Eldo, but only thing available are promos and they're not cheap. Maybe look for a bad one? What about a modern race car chassis? Thoughts?

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/20 5:20 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Is that the next challenge? Cyberpunk cars?

6/6/20 5:21 p.m.

Oh yeah, carbon fibered everything. Wheel tubs and floorboards.

6/6/20 6:58 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Is that the next challenge? Cyberpunk cars?

Well, I'm thinking it is for me at least. Cause I didn't learn my lesson with the 69 Vette to keep things simple! LOL

What do folks think? Cyberpunk for the next round. 3-4 weeks to build?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
6/6/20 7:25 p.m.

I am not in for another "quick build". I have too many kits started but not completed for the last 45 years. Many I have worked on during the last few months, and several are nearing completion, including  Brabham and McLaren F1 cars by Heller that were started in 1978, and another Healey that I was converting into a 100/4 replica of the car I owned from '73 to '86. Model begun around 1976 when the first re-issue of the kit came out.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
6/6/20 7:27 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

That coral color on your Ford is dynamite. Cool build.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
6/6/20 7:43 p.m.

Now the glamour shots of the completed AMC-Healey 100/8. I pulled better head lamps from a partially built '49 Ford kit, and added the fender beading using .011" silver wire left over from some Wills Finecast wire wheels. Gave it a Florida license tag to go with the "Florida Green". Also added windshield wipers that are a notable absence from the kit.  Also missing is a weather strip at the bottom of the windshield. I am well satisfied with this one. Bonnet trim left off to help feed the big 4 barrel carb. Photo etch screen for an H.O. locomotive used in the side vents, I felt I didn't have enough time to duplicate the vertical fins the works cars had, and this is more "GRM"!  

6/6/20 10:13 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I'm with you, I need a break. I've completed four model cars, a slot car, an Ork LoCost, and 6 Ork Bikers in the last 10 weeks. I need to clean up my model desk, replenish supplies, and it's mid terms next week for my final semester of grad school.

So take a break until the 14th? Then maybe a 2-weeker again, possibly with an apocalypse theme?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
6/6/20 10:57 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Sounds like a good plan to me. I need a break to tinker with some other slow-burn builds as well.

Speaking of tinker...crap crap crap, my windshield doesn't fit, I built the roll cage too close to it...crap crap crap, I lost my custom rear window and have to make another one....crap crap crap, nothing's fully assembled yet and it's midnight...gonna try to burn through the night and have this done by dawn. I'll post something in the morning with however far I got, and also recap the other entries with my thoughts on everyone's work. (Don't worry, I'll be nice.)

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
6/6/20 11:01 p.m.

I just want to complete some of the 40+ partial builds on the shelf before I start another. I am feeling time pressure to complete them before I die, at least one was started by my father, and he's been dead 41 years. I'm already older than he was thensurprise

6/6/20 11:34 p.m.

The 99% done photos:

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
6/7/20 6:08 a.m.

Alright, I'm calling my build done. It's flawed in several annoying ways, but all of them would require many more hours of fixing. Here she is, the SHO Ranger. Dang, should've painted it orange and called it the SHORange.

Let's see. Uh, the paint is still sticky and I've put several fingerprints into it. The cab still doesn't fit all the way down like it should, and I can't figure out why. It might be the interior tub and modified firewall interfering with the engine. Much pain would be involved in fixing it. It's really bugging me because it makes the nose stick up.

The paint on the hood sucks. Tailgate too.

The roll cage is wonky and I didn't know how to simulate padding on it. The racing seat stolen from the parts box doesn't have any belts. The custom exhaust looks like poop.

I wanted to put custom decals on it so it would look like a Lemons race vehicle, but I can't find my decal paper, so I can't print custom decals.

I never did figure out a way to route a steering linkage, so let's pretend it has magical wishing power to connect the steering wheel to the wheels. Or drive-by-wire, somehow custom engineered into a 25-year-old truck on a theoretical $500 budget.

Uh...the wheels look alright? I'm happy with the scratch built fire extinguisher. The engine sits in there nice and looks cool.

I'm exhausted. Here's some more pictures, I'll do a wrap-up of everyone's builds after I sleep all day.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
6/7/20 6:45 a.m.

It would be a tough call for me to declare a winner between the salmon Ford and the Healey.

Maybe an idea for an easy next build would be a 'complete the stalled kit' build. Seems like a lot of you have stuff partially built sitting in boxes. I don't have any but I'm working on 1:1 stuff right now anyway. Better still if your unfinished project is some discontinued kit.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/7/20 7:43 a.m.
ddavidv said:

It would be a tough call for me to declare a winner between the salmon Ford and the Healey.

Maybe an idea for an easy next build would be a 'complete the stalled kit' build. Seems like a lot of you have stuff partially built sitting in boxes. I don't have any but I'm working on 1:1 stuff right now anyway. Better still if your unfinished project is some discontinued kit.

I don't think I can pick a winner between them either. Javelin's RX-7 is awesome, too!

Maybe we could have a Zombie Kits from the Shelf of Doom build. I need some incentive to finish a couple of cars that have been sitting in the closet for at least a decade.

6/7/20 8:58 a.m.

In reply to BenB (Forum Supporter) :

I like "zombie kits from the shelf of doom". I'm in for that.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
6/7/20 10:14 a.m.

LOVE the RX7.  Here's a little trick from the aviation modeling world for "display screens".  This stuff: plastic confetti cut to shape and painted black on the back side makes a killer unpowered display.  Aviation modelers use if for military multi-function displays.  

Here's an example.  Actually not one of the best I've seen, but the best I can find quickly: 

108 Best SF3d images in 2020 | Scale models, Modeling techniques ...

It ends up not being a perfect "replica" (straight flat black may be closer), but it's a great "impression".  Here's a couple from my stalled/failed C7R project.  I ended up getting the wrong color confetti.  Mine was close to a straight silver.  Stuff with an "oil slick" finish like that linked above gives a better result.  Also, the screens photographed closer to straight silver than they are.  

No photo description available.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/7/20 10:55 a.m.

So the second batch of flooring came and between that and work I have made little progress on the TA.  Onward and upward though.

6/7/20 11:38 a.m.

Studio shots:

6/7/20 11:41 a.m.

Outdoor shots:

6/7/20 12:27 p.m.

What about two weeks off? Work on 1:1 stuff. Then come back for a new challenge. To enter you have to show progress on the 1:1 of ANY kind.

6/7/20 1:06 p.m.

I'm down for that. Every single car I own has a huge box of parts waiting in the garage. frown

Claff
Claff Reader
6/7/20 1:31 p.m.

I can definitely do with a couple weeks away and then coming back to finish a stalled build. I think I have a couple candidates here.

I appreciate the compliments on my Ford. It's the modeling equivalent of a ten-footer but I'd still like to have it in full-size form to putter around town in.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
6/7/20 1:43 p.m.

Alright, a nice long nap and now I'm here for the wrap-up. laugh I will post this and then update it in small chunks, so I don't lose all my progress if I accidentally hit the wrong keyboard key or something. For anyone who hasn't posted final pics yet, feel free to post more pictures of your builds throughout the day and I'll update my post.

These are in no particular order, just going through the thread to find them.

Javelin's 4-rotor Pro Street RX-7:

What an awesome build. Totally custom, lots of detail, and it looks legit like it could go out on the drag strip and rip a single-digit pass. Really creative idea that's well-executed. A wild engine and a wild car that go together perfectly.

TurnerX19's Florida Green AMC-Healey 100/8:

Spectacular. You clearly know a lot about both building models and the real-life subject matter. I love the color, and the amount of small details you skillfully put into this is impressive. The engine fits in there like it was meant to all along.

Claff's NASCAR-swapped 1953 Ford Victoria:

I love this build. Not only did you end up with a beautiful finished car, you also overcame adversity along the way. Trying various things to get the right stance, with the right wheels, and finally arriving at a solution. The problem with the newsprint, you persevered and buffed it out and got the car looking sweet. Excellent hot rod Ford in a lovely color.

BenB's Toyota 88C-V:

Excellent! It's too bad the engine cover hides all the engine details, but it's a brilliant build regardless. The clean, crisp detail work on the engine and body is top-notch. An example of how even a box-stock build can be truly stunning.

vwcorvette's Custom Chassis-Swapped Corvette:

You put a tremendous amount of work into this, and it shows. The finished product looks like it belongs on the show-car circuit. The C4 interior looks completely at home under that shiny blue C3 body. The opening doors are superb. Really well done.

Gunchsta's '29 Ford Pickup:

I like the direction this one is heading in. I hope you keep working on it as time permits and get it finished, because it's a cool kit. Please share with us when it's done!

Other folks who started building, post any progress pics if you've got em! No judgment here, life happens. I went probably 5+ years without completing any builds up until this year.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oDiuTZczYrPN4LcvpK87htRdciTunZv4H8fMMRlmwEoUIY02CgWW2uL8fgrag76e