1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 30
BenB
BenB Reader
1/30/19 6:26 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to BenB :

Very, very nice builds! Feel free to share the planes, too!

Thanks! Here are the planes. Mostly 1/48, with the top shelf 1/144 civil planes and 1/1400 Klingons, the cars are 1/24-1/25, and a couple of 1/72 Bandai Star Wars kits . I guess I need to post a pic of my display case in the "Things you've built" thread. I'm currently working on a Fujimi McLaren MP2-12C. Fun kit!

@Kazoospec: The Phantom is my all-time favorite, too. I've never been interested in contests, but I did win a 1st with my heavily-modified Tamiya F-4E a few years ago. 

@Saron81: Beautiful builds!

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
1/30/19 7:35 a.m.

In reply to BenB :

Oh man, that's some great stuff!   This is the biggest F4 "kit" I've ever built.  

Short version of the story:  I bought the "bucket" portion just to make a cool office chair out of it.  I found out it came from an F-4C, tail number 640679, which got the first MiG kill for the USAF in Vietnam.  This sort of changed my approach, and I ended up finding most of the remaining parts and manuals needed to assemble the whole seat.  I'm down to needing about a dozen parts to completely finish the seat, but parts have become VERY difficult to find in the last few years.  

On the car building front, we're frozen in here, so I'm working on knocking out the Corvette. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/30/19 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

1/43 is overlooked here in the USA, but some great kits were available, and they really build quickly. How long can it take to completely color sand a 1/43, even a bus! Pics are the long OOP Monogram 289 cobra that I finished in the last 4 years and an Abarth Simca 2000 in resin from Provence Moulage.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/19 1:36 p.m.

In reply to BenB :

Is that a Sea Dart on the 3rd from the bottom shelf, back right? Man, what a cool case and collection! You should pull out a couple at a time for some better photos. The civil collection is on point, too. I notice mostly the same airline, are you a pilot? I go to contests to get ideas, learn new things, and buy more kits (lol). My trophies are literally in a stack collecting dust, they've never been displayed. 

Javelin
1/30/19 1:37 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Dude. You have an ejection seat. In your house. And it's from a confirmed kill plane! Epic.

Javelin
1/30/19 1:37 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

The grill in the Cobra is nice! Love the Abarth, too!!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/30/19 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Cobra grill is the kit part. Super well engineered kit, mostly styrene with some photo etch. I have more unbuilt if you want one, $25.00 including shipping.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
1/31/19 4:52 p.m.

Well, the office was closed for the 4th day in a row due to weather.  Got a little work done on the C7R I've been working on.  Progress so far: 

BenB
BenB Reader
2/1/19 8:50 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to BenB :

Is that a Sea Dart on the 3rd from the bottom shelf, back right? Man, what a cool case and collection! You should pull out a couple at a time for some better photos. The civil collection is on point, too. I notice mostly the same airline, are you a pilot? I go to contests to get ideas, learn new things, and buy more kits (lol). My trophies are literally in a stack collecting dust, they've never been displayed. 

It's an old Collect Aire F-107A I built back in the '90s. I need to redo it, since it's suffered from two moves. If you see anything you want closer pics of, let me know. A lot of these are in the kit reviews section of Modeling Madness. I'm in the process of building the entire Midway Airlines and Piedmont fleets. I flew Dash-8s (front row, to the left of the yellow tail Midway jets) for Henson and much later CRJs (next to the Dash-8) for Midway. I got the 737 type rating, but Midway got rid of their 737s before I had a chance to fly passengers. I haven't flown anything bigger than a hang glider since Midway went under in 2003. 

BTW, love the ejection seat! Javelin is right: EPIC!

Also, once you finish the Corvette, Indycals has just released decals for the two Ford GTs that ran the 2019 Daytona 24.

Javelin
2/1/19 3:44 p.m.

In reply to BenB :

Some close ups of the jets you flew would be pretty sweet. I don't see very much civil built, so it's exciting to see a whole collection of it, especially with personal meaning.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/1/19 5:19 p.m.

You guys should check out this guy's build. A 1/24th scale drift...Firebird. and he doesn't just do a profile build, it's got a live axle, motor in the engine bay, and a full interior. Lots of one off 3D printed parts, sure, but tons of inspiration. 

Drift Firebird

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
2/1/19 6:35 p.m.

Quick change rear end  in the works for a 1:8 scale 32 that I've been working on forever.

BenB
BenB Reader
2/2/19 8:45 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to BenB :

Some close ups of the jets you flew would be pretty sweet. I don't see very much civil built, so it's exciting to see a whole collection of it, especially with personal meaning.

Here you go. The CRJ the Welsh resin kit, combined with the nose, engines, tail, winglets, and landing gear from a Revell Challenger, since Welsh got them wrong, and custom-printed livery decals. I picked the real N586ML from the factory in Montreal. It had 12 hrs on it and new car smell. BPK has since released an injected kit that's a lot better. The Dash-8 is also a corrected Welsh kit. Eastern Express has a better, injected kit that was announced the week I finished this one. N941HA was the first Dash-8 I flew, in 1991. They just retired it last spring. Both models are 1/144 scale; about 5-6 inches long.

@Appleseed: Dayum! 

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
2/2/19 9:13 a.m.

Couple more  shots of the 32 build.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/2/19 10:07 a.m.

In reply to Ognib :

That's going to be fantastic when you get it done, particularly in 1:8 scale!

BenB
BenB Reader
2/2/19 10:43 a.m.

Yes! Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/2/19 2:22 p.m.

Alright all you peer pressure fiends, I caved.

Going to try the Testors acrylics since they're readily available locally. Need to hunt down a real hobby shop. I know we've got an RC shop here but dont know if they have plastic too.

Edit: so far I am less than impressed with coverage of the acrylic paint, especially the silver.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/2/19 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Ognib :

You need to put that in the build thread section. That is too good to have buried in this thread.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/2/19 8:20 p.m.

What"d you do tonight? Oh, you know, built a Lincoln 430 V8...

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
2/3/19 7:40 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Ognib :

That's going to be fantastic when you get it done, particularly in 1:8 scale!

Thanks, Duke!  BTW, interesting pairing in your sig line...never would have considered them together...

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
2/3/19 7:41 a.m.
BenB said:

Yes! Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

Thanks.

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
2/3/19 7:43 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Ognib :

You need to put that in the build thread section. That is too good to have buried in this thread.

Thanks.  Never occurred to me to show it there...it is just a model.

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
2/3/19 8:26 a.m.

I have several projects in the works.  I'll focus in on one & thrash it until my brain starts gettin foggy.  Then I'll shift to another & rinse & repeat.

I've long had a fascination with the old school panel beaters & their techniques...using hammers, slappers, hollowed out tree stumps, files etc.

Did some research over a period of time I decided I'd give it a try...if you don't try, you've failed before you even start...

Got a block of hard maple & started carving a buck for a 1:8 32 roadster.  Got one corner pretty close & had to try shaping a test panel.

Stretching metal is easy but shrinking metal by hand, not so much so.  Annnd shrinking is the acid test for panel forming.

Not too bad for a first try.

BenB
BenB Reader
2/3/19 3:21 p.m.

Now that is cool!

Javelin
2/3/19 4:02 p.m.
Ognib said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to Ognib :

Thanks.  Never occurred to me to show it there...it is just a model.

Man carves a 1:8 scale master, then hand-forms a real metal body for a 32 Roadster, and calls it "just a model"...

Build thread please! 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
akpjiPzSVaj1XCEIHK3ubSQb4OQTSc5nSqACiZuxdtPyamUkS4H1nlEQBixAETmD