1 2 3
miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
12/29/11 5:39 p.m.

Picked up a 1970 McLaren M8B Can-Am model kit today and I just happened to think to myself....do people still put these things together like they did back in the day? Its hard to come across a good kit these days. Just curious as to if any one else out there puts them together in thier spare time.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
12/29/11 5:41 p.m.

I do...but I prefer aircraft and armor to cars.

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
12/29/11 5:47 p.m.

I wanna pick up an aircraft carrier or a battleship in the near future. Wouldnt mind getting a P-51 kit either

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
12/29/11 5:49 p.m.

I'm on the hunt for an affordable model of my car... the last one I saw was a 1/24 scale @ $140... yes $140. Needless to say I passed, but I DO want one, just not that rich to spend $140 on a plastic model

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/11 5:50 p.m.

Great, I've just spent the last 15 minutes browsing the car kits on ehobbies and found at least four or five that I'd like to put together.

I used to build kits quite extensively as a kid but somehow stopped when I started fiddling with real cars instead.

Anybody got a good source for car model kits?

BoxheadTim
12/29/11 5:54 p.m.

Oioioioioi, must have, can't live without: http://www.modelcars.com/arii-1975-bmw-35csl.html

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
12/29/11 6:01 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Great, I've just spent the last 15 minutes browsing the car kits on ehobbies and found at least four or five that I'd like to put together. I used to build kits quite extensively as a kid but somehow stopped when I started fiddling with real cars instead. Anybody got a good source for car model kits?

http://modelempireusa.com/catalogpdf.htm

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/29/11 6:02 p.m.
miataman86 wrote: Picked up a 1970 McLaren M8B Can-Am model kit today and I just happened to think to myself....do people still put these things together like they did back in the day? Its hard to come across a good kit these days. Just curious as to if any one else out there puts them together in thier spare time.

MPC? Orange with Denny Hulme decals? I had that one but never finished it

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
12/29/11 6:04 p.m.

I got a model of a first gen Miata that I got a month ago that I havent even started....I'd love to find a kit of the 787B that Mazda ran in LeMans back in 91, but no such luck. The McLaren M8B i got today was only $30 and its got vinyl oil lines, duct hoses, and plug cables and all that cool stuff. Only complete with 1 of the 33 steps....ugh. Gonna take a couple of weeks to finish it.

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
12/29/11 6:05 p.m.

The McLaren i got today is bright red and was piloted by Lothar Motschenbacher. I'd love to see this thing in action on a track.

BoxheadTim
12/29/11 6:07 p.m.
ST_ZX2 wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: Great, I've just spent the last 15 minutes browsing the car kits on ehobbies and found at least four or five that I'd like to put together. I used to build kits quite extensively as a kid but somehow stopped when I started fiddling with real cars instead. Anybody got a good source for car model kits?

Oh my poor wallet.

Great selection of Tamiya kits, I suddenly have a yen to build the Lotus 7 as a way back into the hobby.

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
12/29/11 6:09 p.m.
ST_ZX2 wrote:

Great Link!

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
12/29/11 6:16 p.m.

I'd like to get the Sauber C9, Toyota GT-ONE, Porsche 956, and several others. I got my real model of my Miata that I'm always doing stuff to, but when its really cold or really hot out, I prefer to keep indoors. Great way to kill time.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/11 6:23 p.m.

About a dozen years ago, before I had the space or cash for anything more than a daily driver, I built a handful of model cars. They came out beautiful, but they were making me insane. Oh man, can I sweat the details! I would lose myself in them, from the time I got home from work until I went to bed.

I quit cold turkey and built a house.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/11 6:30 p.m.
miataman86 wrote: The McLaren i got today is bright red and was piloted by Lothar Motschenbacher. I'd love to see this thing in action on a track.

Accurate Miniatures? If so, I have that kit. I'm afraid to put it together!

I have over 100 kits waiting their turn in the closet, but I can't help buying more. I really need a 944 kit...

I do have 20+ finished though, so I'm not too bad!

miataman86
miataman86 New Reader
12/29/11 6:36 p.m.

Accurate Miniatures, yes. Its a kit that requires dilegence and the will to be up for a challenge.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/29/11 6:37 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
miataman86 wrote: The McLaren i got today is bright red and was piloted by Lothar Motschenbacher. I'd love to see this thing in action on a track.
Accurate Miniatures? If so, I have that kit. I'm afraid to put it together! I have over 100 kits waiting their turn in the closet, but I can't help buying more. I really need a 944 kit... I do have 20+ finished though, so I'm not *too* bad!

I think you have a problem.

I used to do kits but I had several I started on lost pieces to and I started having room and money for real cars and I haven't done any since.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/29/11 7:20 p.m.

I have been collecting various C3 vettes to build a model of my 1:1 car in the way it SHOULD look. Been modelling cars since I was a kid and the neighbor gave me a bunch of Car Model magazines to look through. AMC, Revell, Monogram, Johan, Ertl, etc. Done at least one from all of the manufacturers at some point. Lots of custom stuff too including a nice Chevy Van with full carpeting and interior. Still have a 67 Chevy II in a display case on the shelf I did back in high school. Unfortunately my Nscale trains are taking up most of my spare modelling time.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
12/29/11 7:35 p.m.

I would love to have this model
It would stay boxed and unbuilt, though.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
12/29/11 8:28 p.m.

I collect Tamiya Porsches, but I don't build them.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
12/29/11 8:59 p.m.

My daughter and I are starting a mini cooper this weekend. We did all the general painting last summer.

Hobby Lobby has an aisle of cars but asksca small Fortune for them.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
12/29/11 9:46 p.m.

I have a bunch of models (mostly just started, but without much done to them), but they are all missing parts. Would anyone want them for cheap? I cant post pics here, but I have a pic of all of them if someone wants to see what I have.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/11 9:48 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: I have a bunch of models (mostly just started, but without much done to them), but they are all missing parts. Would anyone want them for cheap? I cant post pics here, but I have a pic of all of them if someone wants to see what I have.

Yes, of course! What do you have?

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
12/29/11 9:58 p.m.
a401cj wrote:
miataman86 wrote: Picked up a 1970 McLaren M8B Can-Am model kit today and I just happened to think to myself....do people still put these things together like they did back in the day? Its hard to come across a good kit these days. Just curious as to if any one else out there puts them together in thier spare time.
MPC? Orange with Denny Hulme decals? I had that one but never finished it

I've got one of those in my stash of plastic. And a Lindberg 1/24th scale D-type Jag, and the 1/8th scale Entex Martini Porsche carrera RSR turbo 935...

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
12/30/11 12:09 a.m.

Someone post an e-mail and I will send you a pic. I think I have around 15 of then and I was thinking like $2 per kit or so. None of them are complete but I'm sure someone could find something useful to do with them.

Edit: sorry, never-mind, they seem to have disappeared somewhere.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JLBop3HOi3R5fbt1BDoQgOyrNHcx5FYwk1XqKRyTRQXWM1fzEWSjaaL8F6LbH8b9