David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/27/17 10:47 a.m.

Photos by Kevin Adolf

It is a belief not uncommon that time on track is simply beyond the average person’s grasp–too expensive, too exclusive. You have to know the right people, be born into the proper social circles and, of course, be loaded.

Many people, however, simply fall into the sport, unaware of the perceived barriers to entry.

Meet Christina …

Read the rest of the story

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/27/17 11:13 a.m.

I thought the track junkies were the ones playing dice behind the dumpster at the track...

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/27/17 11:18 a.m.

Great article, and she's still moving up:
(swiped from twitter.com/christinaylam)

JBasham
JBasham Reader
4/27/17 11:20 a.m.

I remember in 2015, Ms. Lam and I were attending different events on the same weekend at Summit Point Motorsports Park.

She and I each happened to pull up in front of the closest convenience store near the track, at the same time. She had her E36 and I had a 2013 E92 M3 that weekend.

Some boys from the neighborhood were milling around in front of the store. One of them said loudly, "Hey, mister, would your car kick her car's butt?"

I said, "No, she's a better driver than I am, so she will win every time." His eyes popped. She laughed, and went on in to the 7-Eleven.

David S. Wallens
4/27/17 11:31 a.m.
nderwater wrote: Great article, and she's still moving up: (swiped from twitter.com/christinaylam)

Yup. The car just--like, just--got a bit of a redo. In fact, there's a little update on Christina in the next issue--the one in the mail. She and her boyfriend now own a Spec E30 as well.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/27/17 2:04 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Possibly a new Randy Pobst? (start in small events, move up to the pros kind of potential)

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
4/27/17 2:25 p.m.

Inspiring article. Now I wanna get on the track even more.

David S. Wallens
4/28/17 3:15 p.m.
Fitzauto wrote: Inspiring article. Now I wanna get on the track even more.

Yep, very inspiring. Now get out there and have some fun.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
5/3/17 10:23 a.m.

Great story!!

I know a woman who did pretty much the same thing, minus the Ring trip, back in the 70's. She whipped my butt on more than one occasion!!

David S. Wallens
6/15/17 3:48 p.m.

Just checking Twitter and see that Christina and her M3 are off for another weekend at the track. The car looks mean since its redo.

jere
jere HalfDork
6/15/17 8:41 p.m.

Need more girls in car pics to start brainwashing the 5 year old (going on 16) daughter please . The soon to be ex wife has been pushing her too far into the prissy princess fashion model direction. NEED HELP

jere
jere HalfDork
6/15/17 8:43 p.m.

I love success stories too. thanks!

David S. Wallens
6/15/17 9:03 p.m.
jere wrote: Need more girls in car pics to start brainwashing the 5 year old (going on 16) daughter please . The soon to be ex wife has been pushing her too far into the prissy princess fashion model direction. NEED HELP

Totally. You know, she's probably just old enough to drive a kart, right?

jere
jere HalfDork
6/15/17 9:46 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

christinaylam
christinaylam New Reader
6/16/17 6:40 a.m.

All the fast drivers started in karts! Sounds like a great opportunity to get your daughter started!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/16/17 10:44 a.m.

Yep and around that age as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lmohpkpS8I1gGO9O8Rt9SP8NI76Q20EUIaoiAMh5G7MM1bZKS49nZFYiNc7jM6dW