1 2
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/25/20 6:47 p.m.
Rons said:

It looks like for $6922 you can order up a new 7.3 from Ford https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/engine/new-gas-engines

I play with a much smaller budget, but that seems like a reasonable price/performance

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/25/20 7:34 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Way outside my budget as well but it is out there. Come to think of it that engine could be interesting in a lr converted ASA car.

Dootz
Dootz Reader
1/25/20 11:19 p.m.

Hopefully this gets LS prices to drop because they've been getting ridiculous in the past couple years or so.

I couldn't care about the top-end - 430 hp is 430 hp, great numbers. Being port-injected only as well is also going to make it even easier to tune in older cars and be less complicated for swaps (though you obviously won't get the same high numbers that direct injection can potentially allow you).

I only have two concerns, 1) that may be a bit much for the tissue-paper chassis of the Foxbody in stock form and 2) transmission options. The 8.8 is fine, but the 10-speed auto may be a little pricey now. Hopefully Ford allowed for the 6R80 to pair up just as easily.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
9/23/20 7:15 p.m.

Unifor, the union for the Canadian auto workers just negotiated a tentative contract with Ford.  The big news was a big investment to build electric vehicles at the Oakville plant (Edge, MKX/Nautilus) but the national President also let this slip out about one of the engine plants in Windsor:  "Dias said Ford’s Windsor engine plants will begin producing a new 6.8-litre engine in 2022 for the F-150 pickup truck line-up and for the Ford Mustang."  I saw this online in a story from the Windsor Star newspaper, but haven't seen anything about it anywhere else.

Despite this news I don't think the 6.8L will end up in the Mustangs, I think Dias is being misunderstood or he mis-spoke.  One of the plants in Windsor currently produces the 7.3L Godzilla engine, so the 6.8L is likely a smaller version of that.  Another plant in Windsor makes the 5L V8, so I bet he was trying to say "a new 6.8 litre engine for the F150 and a different new engine for the Mustang", which is probably just an updated 5L.  It's still interesting news about the F150 though, I wonder if the 6.8L will be like the 7.3L, a low stressed, high torque engine or if Ford will crank up the performance and put that into the Raptor?

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/23/20 9:02 p.m.

HP is dictated by how fast you can spin the engine.

A problem easily solved with gearing.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
9/24/20 8:05 a.m.

I'd guess that the 6.8 would just be a short-stroke 7.3 - it's that or new-engine development somehow got much cheaper recently.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/20 8:37 a.m.

In terms of new cars, no way either new pushrod goes into the Mustang. 

However, aftermarket swaps still happen. And by people who are VERY familiar with the new engine and what it can take. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/24/20 9:00 a.m.

The 7.3 is still a snoozer, imo. I mean look at all the new model crate engines Ford "attempts" to sell then when they tank in under a year, they're gone forever. Yet, here many years later GM sells the same old ls3 crate and some others plus their recent press release of a "new" gen1 sbc crate.... And GM will sell millions with Ford selling not even close to anything resembling those numbers.

:shrug:

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/20 9:05 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

The 7.3 is still a snoozer, imo. I mean look at all the new model crate engines Ford "attempts" to sell then when they tank in under a year, they're gone forever. Yet, here many years later GM sells the same old ls3 crate and some others plus their recent press release of a "new" gen1 sbc crate.... And GM will sell millions with Ford selling not even close to anything resembling those numbers.

This is closer to te 8.1 than an LS3 in intent and design philosophy.

Years ago, on USENET, I remember a guy who did not quite understand this.  At the time a lot of tractor trailers had about 190-200hp.  (At 1800rpm)  Said wag started going off at how stupid truck engines were if his Prelude made the same amount of power.  Sure, buddy, now run your Prelude engine at WOT to redline ten or eleven times every time you accelerate from a stop, then hold it there as cruising power, and let's see how many miles it lasts.  Won't be in the hundreds of thousands.

Different priorities, different engineering choices.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/20 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

I don't see this new motor as a crate  motor until a lot of people ask for it. But it will be available in droves soon as fleets get done with them. There are going to be a lot of them sold. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/24/20 11:12 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

and next year you won't be able to buy one. Just like every other engine Ford has offered and the enthusiast wanted. But they'll keep "crap" engines around.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
9/24/20 11:16 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

I think you're vastly overestimating how many crate engines are sold.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/24/20 11:18 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Embellishment. I still see way more sbc/ls sold vs any pushrod or coyote from Ford.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
9/24/20 12:07 p.m.

Most of Ford's crate motor offerings haven't been production engines in current vehicles for decades.  The 7.3 is just starting its production life... with the amount of fleet vehicles it's going in, it will be around for a while.

IMHO, for it to be a big seller for swaps, they need to start selling the 10R80 and a standalone controller to go along with the engine.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/20 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

People will whine that it's drive by wire.  And that there's no provision for a power steering pump.  And there's no place for a Z-bar pivot ball.  And probably that there's no hookup for a choke cable or ignition timing lever.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/24/20 2:40 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Ranger50 said:

This is closer to te 8.1 than an LS3 in intent and design philosophy.

Years ago, on USENET, I remember a guy who did not quite understand this.  At the time a lot of tractor trailers had about 190-200hp.  (At 1800rpm)  Said wag started going off at how stupid truck engines were if his Prelude made the same amount of power.  Sure, buddy, now run your Prelude engine at WOT to redline ten or eleven times every time you accelerate from a stop, then hold it there as cruising power, and let's see how many miles it lasts.  Won't be in the hundreds of thousands.

Different priorities, different engineering choices.

It's truly amazing how many people don't get that.  

Then there's the torque this and torque that fella too.  Just explain that 1 hp @ 1 rpm is a Berking Crap ton of torque - but still just 1 hp.  

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/24/20 9:09 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Mr_Asa said:

From everything I've read about this motor I'm not sure why people are dropping it in (other than "because its there.")  It was designed from the ground up to be a high torque-low HP motor.  I'd expect it to be more popular with rock crawlers and 4WD guys than car guys.

Wow, 430hp is low HP motor?  Who would have thought.

It's not as if it's a big effort to make is breathe a little better and spin a little faster, which increases top end power a LOT.  

Gen 3, 5.0 coyote is rated at 460 hp and is almost 2/3 the displacement. I think that is what he is referring to.

Engine was designed for the Ford F59 class 5 truck chassis.  It is a direct competitor to the Class 5 truck chassis using a 6.0 L GM LS truck motor.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n6Uik4jp1F3a4ZEeCcWdSWmO86IkmJYZLct0HP2tXYGlaGeSkejNkZAy4BL0rCC3